PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with Wes Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said a 32-year old wide receiver?!?!? Huh? Where did I disparage his skill set?

Reaching.

No reach at all, the " he's an old slot receiver" argument is the one the morons here have been using for years to knock him and pretending that is just the facts is the defense they give for their indefensible argument. Bottom line, those who continue to pretend this is the case are fools, and Welker makes that clear every week.

No reach at all, the " he's an old slot receiver" argument is the one the morons here have been using for years to knock him and pretending that is just the facts is the defense they give for their indefensible argument. Bottom line, those who continue to pretend this is the case are fools, and Welker makes that clear every week.

I said, if Denver wants to pay a 37 yr old QB with a bad neck and a 32 year old wide receiver big money...then let them. Meaning they would outbid the Pats who'll give him a decent offer I would guess. You are desperately reaching here and putting me into a group of Welker bashers? I wanted them to sign him last year too.

Again can you separate what I think they SHOULD do and what I think they WILL do? I actually agree with you that they SHOULD sign him. Do you understand that? Honestly do you? Or are you just picking a fight? I am really curious.

And I bet that you are one of those posters who wanted them to get rid of him for a second round pick for the last few years because he is just an old slot receiver. Guess what, you have been proven dead wrong over and over and over and should simply shut your piehole instead of continuing to Borges him.

I think you'll find I haven't offered an opinion one way or another in this thread but thank you for researching my posting history to determine that I "have been proven dead wrong over and over and over" (which btw demonstrates the writing skill of a 5 year old). As I am unable to influence the matter one way or another, I have no strong opinion on the matter. The team will do what it feels is best and will suffer or prosper based upon that decision.

I shall now leave you to your tantrum and Welker love poem writing.

I said, if Denver wants to pay a 37 yr old QB with a bad neck and a 32 year old wide receiver big money...then let them. Meaning they would outbid the Pats who'll give him a decent offer I would guess. You are desperately reaching here and putting me into a group of Welker bashers? I wanted them to sign him last year too.

Again can you separate what I think they SHOULD do and what I think they WILL do? I actually agree with you that they SHOULD sign him. Do you understand that? Honestly do you? Or are you just picking a fight? I am really curious.

You called him a 32 year old "slot receiver" which is exactly the label the haters have been using to knock him and I provided the quote. You can take it personally all you want but it is the idiotic argument I take issue with, and it makes no difference to me who is making it.

Especially with the Stokley Security Blanket working out so well again.

That would be the 36 year old Stokley security blanket who only came back for a season at vel min. after already retiring after a 2 game stint with the Giants ending in an injury settlement in 2011 because of Manning's presence and his Denver connections and the absence of a reliable slot receiver. And as crucial as he's been he's not been remotely as productive as Welker ever with perhaps the exception of his 2004 season in Indy. He missed the game yesterday with hip and wrist injuries.

I think you'll find I haven't offered an opinion one way or another in this thread but thank you for researching my posting history to determine that I "have been proven dead wrong over and over and over" (which btw demonstrates the writing skill of a 5 year old). As I am unable to influence the matter one way or another, I have no strong opinion on the matter. The team will do what it feels is best and will suffer or prosper based upon that decision.

I shall now leave you to your tantrum and Welker love poem writing.

Sounds good Ron, have a good day.

Christian Fauria said on a post game show yesterday (channel 38) that a deal is essentially done between Welker and the Patriots. If he finishes as well he has started and played this season, he will be paid and will stay with the Pats.
I hope that Fauria's source is credible.

I hope that Fauria's source is credible.

Same here, I think this team is poised for another run like 2001-2004 and losing Welker would derail it IMO.

That would be the 36 year old Stokley security blanket who only came back for a season at vel min. after already retiring after a 2 game stint with the Giants ending in an injury settlement in 2011 because of Manning's presence and his Denver connections and the absence of a reliable slot receiver. And as crucial as he's been he's not been remotely as productive as Welker ever with perhaps the exception of his 2004 season in Indy. He missed the game yesterday with hip and wrist injuries.

A 3-WR set of Thomas, Decker, and Welker, with Denver's strong running game and excellent defense, so long as Manning stays healthy, would make Denver a very, very formidable team.

We do not want them to add Welker. Not at all.

Sign the man to a 3-4 year deal. He is the catalyst to everything we do on offense!!

You called him a 32 year old "slot receiver" which is exactly the label the haters have been using to knock him and I provided the quote. You can take it personally all you want but it is the idiotic argument I take issue with, and it makes no difference to me who is making it.

Here is what I wrote: So they'll use their cap space on a slot receiver? They'll need to upgrade at RB and Bailey is on his last legs. If they want to have mega $$ invested in a 37 yr old QB with a very bad neck and a 32 year old WR then let them do it ALL DAY.

Never once did I say he was too old (I would not give him a four year deal unless it was very cap friendly). I just said that he is indeed a 32-year old slot receiver. Which he is. Take it for what its worth.

Here is what I wrote: So they'll use their cap space on a slot receiver? They'll need to upgrade at RB and Bailey is on his last legs. If they want to have mega $$ invested in a 37 yr old QB with a very bad neck and a 32 year old WR then let them do it ALL DAY.

Never once did I say he was too old (I would not give him a four year deal unless it was very cap friendly). I just said that he is indeed a 32-year old slot receiver. Which he is. Take it for what its worth.

Why call him a 32 year old slot receiver if you aren't suggesting that makes him old. You could have called him the most productive WR in football if you wanted to, because that is what he is.

Why call him a 32 year old slot receiver if you aren't suggesting that makes him old. You could have called him the most productive WR in football if you wanted to, because that is what he is.

I did compliment him...in the other posts I wrote. Should I not call Gronk a TE but a productive pass catcher? Really? He is a TE. Welker is a slot receiver.

We are splitting hairs and generally people pay more $$ for big TD catching receivers than slot receivers. Just the way it is. People I guess can argue that Welker is more of a system player. Before you jump on me for this I do not agree with that statement. I think he would be productive in just about any offense.

You could have called him the most productive WR in football if you wanted to, because that is what he is.

I like Welker and all but...no.

Actually a great barometer is Mike Wallace, who is 26.

If you can pay one player say four years at $45mil with $20mil guaranteed. Do you pay Welker (proven player, highly productive, knows the system, versatile) or Wallace (one of the fastest receivers in the NFL, productive with a good QB, stretches the field).

What say you? Tough call right? Even though Wallace does not have the accomplishments of Wes.

If you can show that another WR has produced more over the last 3-5 seasons by all means do it.

Calvin Johnson is clearly the best and most productive WR in the game, and there's no one else particularly close at this point.

If you can show that another WR has produced more over the last 3-5 seasons by all means do it.

Ivan, the NFL pays for future performance not past performance. Even if Wes found the cure for cancer in the past its what he would do for the team going forward that they are paying for. Can we at least agree on that?

And if anyone can show WR's who produce more or as much as Welker please throw in what they make, that way there is a baseline fore Welkers value.

Ivan, the NFL pays for future performance not past performance. Even if Wes found the cure for cancer in the past its what he would do for the team going forward that they are paying for. Can we at least agree on that?

TE, once again you are making the same argument that has been made for 3 years, and once again all Welker has done is shred it to pieces by just getting better and better. That's why I called it Borges him, because those making it just keeP moving the goalposts and insisting they are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick