PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with Wes Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Third year running people have been making this argument, and had they taken the fans advice they would have lost the most productive receiver in football for those three seasons. It is remarkable that anyone can continue to talk this garbage. Like I said Welker should leave town with both digits raised high for this organization and it's delusional fans.

I am not saying I agree with them!!! I just think thats what they will do but another poster just stated that they have a deal done. So I am incorrect. Your holier than thou attitude is ridiculous. You should be ashamed of yourself.

No, I think NE pays for future proj. performance rather than past performance. Honestly they have been right every single time in the Bill B. era other than with Asante Samuel. Welker is 100x better than Decker but Decker is much younger. All I am saying.

I used to agree with this, but I was wrong. I thought he'd slow down on the early side of 30, and he's now 31 and producing just like always. At this point, I bet he has more meaningful time on the field left in him than Edelman does, which is a product of a) freakish durability, and b) willingness to go down in order to deflect contact/prevent taking huge hits. He's showing no signs of slowing down, and aging isn't an exact science. Some guys are physically "younger" at 32 than others are at 28, for a variety of reasons.

Besides, even if Welker does slow down on the tail end of his contract, overpaying a bit at the end of it is worth it if that's what keeps him here for the remainder of his prime.

Question for someone with more knowledge re: cap and contracts than I have:

At what point will cutting Mankins become a viable option? Because if that frees up the money to fund all/most of years 2 and/or 3 of a Welker extension, then I think it's pretty obvious which player is more important to this offense and which is more likely to have durability issues moving forward.

Why would we want to cut Mankins?

This is certainly a fine point. And this is purely anecdotal on my part but it does seem like Welker has dropped more passes (and maybe I just notice it more because it's rather uncharacteristic) in the last ~2 years than prior.

I certainly wouldn't mind a bit more diversity in the passing offense. Though can't really argue with what works.

This is unofficial, obviously, but he's only 'credited' with 6...

NFL Leaders - Pass Dropped - Football - NBC Sports

Stats.com has the same chart for their rankings.

I used to agree with this, but I was wrong. I thought he'd slow down on the early side of 30, and he's now 31 and producing just like always. At this point, I bet he has more meaningful time on the field left in him than Edelman does, which is a product of a) freakish durability, and b) willingness to go down in order to deflect contact/prevent taking huge hits. He's showing no signs of slowing down, and aging isn't an exact science. Some guys are physically "younger" at 32 than others are at 28, for a variety of reasons.

Besides, even if Welker does slow down on the tail end of his contract, overpaying a bit at the end of it is worth it if that's what keeps him here for the remainder of his prime.

I agree 100%. Welker is like Gumby he bends but does not seem to break as much as others. I'd take the risk.

Christian Fauria said on a post game show yesterday (channel 38) that a deal is essentially done between Welker and the Patriots. If he finishes as well he has started and played this season, he will be paid and will stay with the Pats.

He basically said if he has a good year this year (which he is) he would get signed, he said Welker is good for NE and NE is good for Welker, sounds to me like he'll be here for at least two more years.

You don't agree with me at all On Welker and yes your Post about Denver fans being the delusional ones was completely ironic given your argument.

As. I said before those making the argument you are making should acknowledge how wrong they have been and stop trying to make an argument that has been proven idiotic for three years running.

Seriously. Are you Welker's Dad?

We get it, you like him. There's no need to insult people because you don't agree with them.

They need to draft at least on young WR and another offensive lineman.

I thought Zusevics was considered about a 4th rounder pre-inury. Healthy and under Scar's tutelege for a year should make him equal to about a 2nd rounder next year.

:)

You don't agree with me at all On Welker and yes your Post about Denver fans being the delusional ones was completely ironic given your argument.

As. I said before those making the argument you are making should acknowledge how wrong they have been and stop trying to make an argument that has been proven idiotic for three years running.

Show me ONE post where I don't agree with you on Welker's ability? I just don't agree that Denver will pay him. Thats it! One post Ivan? Just one where I disparage his ability or even say that he is not a good player.

I'll repeat: I did not think NE would pay for him and I do not think Denver will as well. Another poster changed my mind in terms of NE paying Welker but I respectfully disagree with you that Denver would pay for him. Again where is our argument that you seem to have made up? Honestly, your post was uncalled for.

I thought Zusevics was considered about a 4th rounder pre-inury. Healthy and under Scar's tutelege for a year should make him equal to about a 2nd rounder next year.

Wow, thanks, I had no idea? Is there an article or something about him? I thought he was just some floating FA? Yikes.

I am not saying I agree with them!!! I just think thats what they will do but another poster just stated that they have a deal done. So I am incorrect. Your holier than thou attitude is ridiculous. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Actually the people who should be ashamed of themselves are those who have been Borgesing Welker for the last 3 years.

"Borgesing" is the act of making the same 100%wrong argument day after day and year after year withe exPecation that eventually time will make it true.

He and Brady are buds and he is less a speed guy but more a quickness guy. I'd sign him for two years at $15Mil with $9Mil guaranteed.
I would do that, too, if I were the Patriots but I don't think Welker would be on board.

I think Welker is going to want more security than two years. He has earned every cent of money he's going to get paid. I just don't know if they Patriots will be the ones to pay him it. Welker has been dependable and productive since he arrived in New England and seems to have the least amount of health issues of anyone who catches the ball (TEs & WRs) for the Patriots.

I can see the Patriots letting him walk but I do not want to see him catching passes from anyone but Tom Brady.

Actually the people who should be ashamed of themselves are those who have been Borgesing Welker for the last 3 years.

"Borgesing" is the act of making the same 100%wrong argument day after day and year after year withe exPecation that eventually time will make it true.

You have failed to show one post where I have done that. Honestly you have added little except your poor attitude to this thread, which is not even supported by facts. Thank you for that.

Looks like the Pats will indeed sign Wes so we all win in the end.

Seems fairly typical even among the elite. Of course, context matters but I'll concede the argument.

No argument here, good sir. Like you (probably) feel, I'd have probably come up with more than 6 if I'd thought about it on a game-by-game basis. I'd just have maintained that I was alright with it given the number of big catches he's also made.

So they'll use their cap space on a slot receiver? They'll need to upgrade at RB and Bailey is on his last legs. If they want to have mega $$ invested in a 37 yr old QB with a very bad neck and a 32 year old WR then let them do it ALL DAY.

You wanted a disparaging post double TE and here is one of them. The "he's just an old slot receiver" argument is exactly the one the haters have been using for three years running, and it is total crap.

You have failed to show one post where I have done that. Honestly you have added little except your poor attitude to this thread, which is not even supported by facts. Thank you for that.

Looks like the Pats will indeed sign Wes so we all win in the end.

Sorry' it took me a minute and a half to pull up one of your posts dumping on Welker. Next time I will try to do so instantly.

There's a large group of people who've taken IBBIT to amazing heights. Beyond that, there's another large group of people who may not take the IBBIT quite as much to heart, but have been convinced that the Patriots methods and thoughts are always on target. The problem for the Patriots, in the Welker-contract sense, is that the Patriots and many fans have guessed wrong as to when that decline would take place. Instead of being phased out of the offense this year, WWW has become even more of the central cog, because he's the only receiver/te who can both stay healthy and be counted on.

"Welker shouldn't get paid because he's old and going to be in inevitable decline" will eventually be the right answer, because Welker will eventually lose the age/injury battle, just as everyone does. When that happens, all the IBBIT types will crow about having been right, just as Felger crows about being right about Moss in 2010, after having been wrong about Moss for the 3 years prior.

Last edited:
You wanted a disparaging post double TE and here is one of them. The "he's just an old slot receiver" argument is exactly the one the haters have been using for three years running, and it is total crap.

Sorry' it took me a minute and a half to pull up one of your posts dumping on Welker. Next time I will try to do so instantly.

So you are saying he's not 32 and doesn't play in the slot? That's all I read there in Double TE's post.

Why would we want to cut Mankins?

If the Pats' unwillingness to pay Welker stems from cap concerns, then that might be one place where they could free up a lot of the necessary funds down the line. Again, I can't say for certain, because I'm not sure what Mankins' cap hits look like going forward.

To put it another way: I'm not saying that it will come down to this, but if it did, would you rather have Welker or Mankins for the next three years?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back