PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with Wes Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmao, don't sign Welker so you can pay Eric Decker. Unbelievable.

Young man seems to be in Manning's dog house over the last month... Every time he appears poised to have his breakout season he trips up.

Eric Decker was held to just 17 yards on two receptions versus the Bucs in Week 13. He was targeted just twice. It was Jacob Tamme who benefited from Brandon Stokley's absence, and Peyton Manning ignored Decker with Demaryius Thomas in man coverage versus rookie Leonard Johnson. After a few mid-season drops, Decker has failed to top five receptions or 65 yards in a month.

If there's one time when the Pats need to admit they're wrong and pay a guy for more years than they were previously willing to, this has to be it. Wes is too important to this offense to let him walk if his demands are at all reasonable, and $10-11M per is plenty reasonable. If a 3 year/$30M contract will get the job done, the Pats need to sign him to that first chance they get.

Also, the Broncos would let Decker leave in a heartbeat, without anything even resembling a second thought, if that was what it took to get Welker.

Last edited:
Well he has 700 yards and 8 TDs so far? Not terrible?

WAIT!!! Why am I defending him!!?!?!? UGH. I honestly don't care what Denver does. I hate that team and their delusional fan base that thinks Elway is G.O.A.T (not even top 5). Bleh

If there's one time when the Pats need to admit they're wrong and pay a guy for more years than they were previously willing to, this has to be it. Wes is too important to this offense to let him walk if his demands are at all reasonable, and $10-11M per is plenty reasonable. If a 3 year/$30M contract will get the job done, the Pats need to sign him to that first chance they get.

Totally agree with this! This organization would be stupid and silly to look past this guy. There is no one else ont this team or anything other that can do what he does for the Patriots. Point Blank.

Decker is 25 and his numbers have been decent. Don't laugh.

You are putting him in the same league as a HOF caliber WR. Seriously these kinds of comments are absurd and are simply more of the crap that has been spewed her for three years running. Welker should refuse to deal with NE and give fans here both digits every time he comes here and puts up more ridiculous numbers for the franchise smart enough to pay him what he is worth.

I don't think NE is anywhere close to salary cap jail. Sign Welker and bring back Talib too!

Along those lines, and at the risk of hijacking this thread, I've been thinking that the Pats could just sign their important free agents, like Welker, Edelman, Vollmer, and Talib, use their two #7 picks for the Ebners and Dennards of the world, and trade off their top picks for future picks and get the "Golden Goose" started again.

The inopportune drops are annoying, but I tend to agree that they should just pay the man. Certainly not more than 2-3 years on the contract, though.

I'm not trying to call you out in any way. I just wanted to use your post because it's short and on a point I wanted to bring up.

People are talking about Welker's drops as "inopportune", "critical", etc..., but the reality is that Welker gets the ball thrown to him in big situations. Throw after throw to him is critical/crucial/etc... The guy's on pace for well over 100 receptions, yet again, despite the nonsense that the team was pulling at the start of the season.

92 catches, 53 first downs and 4 touchdowns...

Last edited:
You are putting him in the same league as a HOF caliber WR. Seriously these kinds of comments are absurd and are simply more of the crap that has been spewed her for three years running. Welker should refuse to deal with NE and give fans here both digits every time he comes here and puts up more ridiculous numbers for the franchise smart enough to pay him what he is worth.

No, I think NE pays for future proj. performance rather than past performance. Honestly they have been right every single time in the Bill B. era other than with Asante Samuel. Welker is 100x better than Decker but Decker is much younger. All I am saying.

Sign the beast.

Welker is Brady's security blanket. Don't screw with your franchise' binkie.

Well he has 700 yards and 8 TDs so far? Not terrible?

WAIT!!! Why am I defending him!!?!?!? UGH. I honestly don't care what Denver does. I hate that team and their delusional fan base that thinks Elway is G.O.A.T (not even top 5). Bleh

"Delusional fan base,?"

Irony at its finest.

Along those lines, and at the risk of hijacking this thread, I've been thinking that the Pats could just sign their important free agents, like Welker, Edelman, Vollmer, and Talib, use their two #7 picks for the Ebners and Dennards of the world, and trade off their top picks for future picks and get the "Golden Goose" started again.

They need to draft at least on young WR and another offensive lineman.

Christian Fauria said on a post game show yesterday (channel 38) that a deal is essentially done between Welker and the Patriots. If he finishes as well he has started and played this season, he will be paid and will stay with the Pats.

"Delusional fan base,?"

Irony at its finest.

Really? A personal attack? I agree with all your points on Welker. I just don't think NE will pay for a 32-year old WR despite his awesome accomplishments. All I am saying. I also don't think Denver will as well.

The personal attack on me was ridiculous and uncalled for.

Question for someone with more knowledge re: cap and contracts than I have:

At what point will cutting Mankins become a viable option? Because if that frees up the money to fund all/most of years 2 and/or 3 of a Welker extension, then I think it's pretty obvious which player is more important to this offense and which is more likely to have durability issues moving forward.

Last edited:
No, I think NE pays for future proj. performance rather than past performance. Honestly they have been right every single time in the Bill B. era other than with Asante Samuel. Welker is 100x better than Decker but Decker is much younger. All I am saying.

Third year running people have been making this argument, and had they taken the fans advice they would have lost the most productive receiver in football for those three seasons. It is remarkable that anyone can continue to talk this garbage. Like I said Welker should leave town with both digits raised high for this organization and it's delusional fans.

I'm not trying to call you out in any way. I just wanted to use your post because it's short and on a point I wanted to bring up.

People are talking about Welker's drops as "inopportune", "critical", etc..., but the reality is that Welker gets the ball thrown to him in big situations. Throw after throw to him is critical/crucial/etc... The guy's on pace for well over 100 receptions, yet again, despite the nonsense that the team was pulling at the start of the season.

This gave me an idea for a drinking game. Here's the rules:

1) take a swig whenever Welker makes a reception after a penalty to bring the offense back to a manageable down-distance situation (1st and 20 to 2nd and 10, etc.)

2) a: Take a swig whenever a Welker catch results in a first down.
b: Take a shot if it's third down and he catches the ball more than 2 yards behind the first-down marker, then gets the first down with YAC.

3) Take a swig if Brady is blitzed and counters it by immediately completing a pass to Welker

4) Take a shot if Welker scores a touchdown.

By the end of most games, you'll be feeling the effects in a pretty big way.

This is certainly a fine point. And this is purely anecdotal on my part but it does seem like Welker has dropped more passes (and maybe I just notice it more because it's rather uncharacteristic) in the last ~2 years than prior.

I certainly wouldn't mind a bit more diversity in the passing offense. Though can't really argue with what works.

Really? A personal attack? I agree with all your points on Welker. I just don't think NE will pay for a 32-year old WR despite his awesome accomplishments. All I am saying. I also don't think Denver will as well.

The personal attack on me was ridiculous and uncalled for.

You don't agree with me at all On Welker and yes your Post about Denver fans being the delusional ones was completely ironic given your argument.

As. I said before those making the argument you are making should acknowledge how wrong they have been and stop trying to make an argument that has been proven idiotic for three years running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes