PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What The Moss trade means for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

roguepatriot

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Firstly, sorry if anyone has already said this (probably has deep in one of the threads from the last 3 days) -

I see the Moss (and Maroney) trade as very much as a Belichick thing. He is always a long term out of the box thinker. He had a chance to look at where this team is now and decide what he thinks is in the best interest for this team. I do not think this is based on Moss's bad behaviour or on his production dropping off (although I don't think these helped). Moss was not coming back for 9 mill next year and could prove a distraction down the road. I think the timing, which is perhaps the oddest part of the trade, is more to do with the positive development of the rookies/2nd year players than anything else. If it was going to happen in season, doing it at the start of the bye-week should minimise the Milloy-effect. I don't think the pick mattered too much to him, he wanted to get the best immediate available pick, although they could have done with giving it to a team they did not play this year. I think it will get traded, either to help them move up or to snag a 2nd in the following year and with the bonanza of picks this year even the 'I want the best advertised player type or I am going to cry' fan should have some fun this draft.

I think philosophically Belichick has come to the point where he wants this team to go in a different direction from the past 2-3 years. Some of this points to the offense playing more smashmouth 2TE schemes, where whether the team is running or passing to a TE is far from obvious. Some of this points to the type of player he wants on the team, although I think he had less problem with Randy than others think. Some goes back to the fact that he only wants to pay big bucks on offense to a star QB. I think the key is that he wants what is mostly a young team (I have never seen this many 1st/2nd year starters on a BB team) to grow together with his young 'de-facto' coordinators and Moss might well get in the way of this. As such he makes a move very few of us would think of making and which many elsewhere in the Football world will question. But this not the first time he has done this, as 2 veteran QBs will testify, and will not be the last. It may well make it harder for the new receivers to get open this year and the D to be on the field more. But thats what they are going to face next year, so they might as well get used to it and get better at doing their job. While Moss is there, Brady will always play in a way based on him. Now we find out how he will play with a core grouping that should stay together for the next two to three years. That group will get more backup from the next draft and when Warren and Bodden are back, and so will get better and better. I like the leaders on this team - Brady, Wilfork, Crumpler and the next generation of leaders in Chung, Spikes ad McCourty.

For us fans, is this good or bad? Sometimes Bill is going to make the wrong decision (the easiest way not to get criticized is to do nothing). In the short term, there seems a big downside. But its not like he traded Tom. This team should still be competitive and has the chance to grow as a team. Having Moss alone did not bring a Championship, maybe by some twisted logic, not having a superstar receiver will help the team win there next.

I totally agree with your statements...In the short term we cant deny that there will be residual effects of this trade but in the long term offensive players will learn to step up to the plate and grow....

EXACTLY how I feel. BB was ready to change the identity of this team, and we finally had the personnel needed to make that transition. Time to move on. Like any breakup, I feel much much better than I did at the initial shock. I actually feel really really good.

You could've summed this up in once sentence.

I'll do it for you.

What the Moss trade means for the future is that the Pats will have a 3rd round pick in 2011.

Please people, enough with the Moss threads. Get over it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back