PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What moves would you make to give the Pats the best chance of a Superbowl again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade up to draft Aaron Donald. We've won the SB each year that we drafted a DT in the 1st round (2001, 2003 and 2004), and Donald will have a Seymour kind of impact on the defense.

We'd have to at least get ahead of the Bears. Possibly a trade with the Cowboys? If Donald somehow got into that range, the Pats should be all over that.

I am happy with what BB does and I absolutely think it is the right way to do business. That being said if I were in charge, especially in charge of 2014, I would probably do the exact opposite.

All in for # 4 future be damned.

My plan starts with retaining our own FA. Namely Talib and Edelman.

Then the restructures come as I will need every available dollar. This has been discussed and outlined by the cap gurus on here so lets just assume I get every dime possible and free up 30+ Mil.

Now time to start spending but not only am I going to use most of the 30 mil but I am going to back load a few deals paying more in the future than now.

Now the real fun begins free agency:

5 things needed here in order of importance -

Safety - TJ Ward thank you very much
TE - I am going to give up 2 first rounders and a Mega deal to pry Graham away from the Saints
OL - I am going to Sign Mack or the next best available free agent.
pass rusher - If Peppers gets cut I am making a run at him otherwise Jared Allen or another top pass rush option
LB - we need some depth here but lets still grab some real skill Donald Butler anyone.

Then in the draft I will use our 2 and 3 to add depth to the OL.

I am happy with what BB does and I absolutely think it is the right way to do business. That being said if I were in charge, especially in charge of 2014, I would probably do the exact opposite.

All in for # 4 future be damned.

My plan starts with retaining our own FA. Namely Talib and Edelman.

Then the restructures come as I will need every available dollar. This has been discussed and outlined by the cap gurus on here so lets just assume I get every dime possible and free up 30+ Mil.

Now time to start spending but not only am I going to use most of the 30 mil but I am going to back load a few deals paying more in the future than now.

Now the real fun begins free agency:

5 things needed here in order of importance -

Safety - TJ Ward thank you very much
TE - I am going to give up 2 first rounders and a Mega deal to pry Graham away from the Saints
OL - I am going to Sign Mack or the next best available free agent.
pass rusher - If Peppers gets cut I am making a run at him otherwise Jared Allen or another top pass rush option
LB - we need some depth here but lets still grab some real skill Donald Butler anyone.

Then in the draft I will use our 2 and 3 to add depth to the OL.

I, and others in the draft forum, are giving ways that the team can go "all in" this season while not mortgaging the team's future. This team is not going to get Ward. Cleveland is going to do everything they can to retain him. Say no to Peppers. He's drastically in decline. That's why I'm with Mayo in that, if Donald slips into the teens, the Pats need to jump in front of the Bears because they'll want him to at least have some semblance of an interior pass rush now that Peppers is getting long in the tooth.

We'd have to at least get ahead of the Bears. Possibly a trade with the Cowboys? If Donald somehow got into that range, the Pats should be all over that.
If both were available at that point would you rather the Patriots trade up and take Pryor or Donald?

If both were available at that point would you rather the Patriots trade up and take Pryor or Donald?

Pryor. I'm sure I'll have many that will disagree with me, though.

Pryor. I'm sure I'll have many that will disagree with me, though.
I think I'm with you on that. I feel like Pryor can be a game changer in the secondary.

Resign Talib and Edelman. Sign Michael Johnson or Jared Allen. Draft one of Eric Ebron, Jace Amaro, or SAJ in the 1st/2nd round. Use every other resource on defense.

I also would be fine with signing a good TE like Chandler instead of a DE and drafting a DT/DE in the 1st/2nd round.

Resign Talib and Edelman. Sign Michael Johnson or Jared Allen. Draft one of Eric Ebron, Jace Amaro, or SAJ in the 1st/2nd round. Use every other resource on defense.

What would you do at C? Re-sign Wendell? I think I would give up on life if that happened. ;)

What would you do at C? Re-sign Wendell? I think I would give up on life if that happened. ;)

I know you asked someone else, but my thinking is simple here:

There are THREE very good young centers in FA for long-term solutions:
Mack - will likely stay in Cleveland, and VERY pricey.
De la Puenta - very good, won't be cheap, but very good...
Evan Dietrich-Smith could be a steal...

If you can't get any of them:
Try to sign Jonathan Goodwin to a short deal
Draft one of the three top centers and plug him in as you go, learning from Goodwin.

And does anyone know anything about Braxston Cave? What's his upside? is he a possible solution?

No way, I've always hated Wendell. Move Connolly to C (where he played well in 2012 IMO) and move Cannon to RG.

I agree that they should address both lines first. That and TE. Period.

As i said in other threads, I would invest Talib's money in a stud DE or 2 good players DT/DE to add a decent rotation. With decent pressure on the pocket regular CB's can do their jobs, on the other hand, when the opponent's QB have 10 seconds to throw the ball even your stellar CB will get burnt. I'm not saying signing Talib is not important or having great CB's, I just think that we are playing too soft in the DL.

It's important to note that Ninkovich is a good to great player, but he's not at the level we need to aim a championship. We need someone better to pair with Chandler Jones.

I would try to address DL through FA and Scott Chandler if the price is ok.

Via draft, another TE, OL and then BPA, including WR if someone falls. I don't think we are that set at wideouts.

My cuts: Wilfork, Sopoaga, Adrian Wilson, Gregory, Wendell.

Extensions: Mankins, DMac, Gostspace.

1- Upgrade the D-line
2- Upgrade Safety Position
3- Upgrade the Interior O-Line
4- Upgrade Tight End
5- Resign both Talib and Edleman

1. Complete revamping the front 7. This is where it all starts IMO. During the dynasty years we used our highest picks on Big Sey and Ty Warren, the final year Wilfork joined in. They joined a very talented LB core. Ted Washington was another key signing which led to possibly our best defense ever in 2003. Some championships had great secondaries, one had a CB quartet of a 2nd year Asante Samuel, Randall Gay, Troy Brown, and Hank Poteat. Playoff games are won in the trenches. I think we need either an impact signing or strike gold in the draft at DE (and DT if Wilfork or Kelly aren't in form). LB should be fine, especially if the former move(s) allow Nink to rotate in at OLB and/or Collins progresses well.

2. Fix the interior OL. Mack would be nice, if he's not going to cripple our cap too bad I throw big money his way. If Incognito comes cheap I'd take a flier on him, low risk high reward. If no big signings here, should be a high priority in the draft after DL.

3. Get a physical SS

Put Ex-Lax in the pregame meal of their SB opponent...

I don't think Wendell is that bad. IMO its more the duo of Connelly and Wendell that really is the problem. Of the two I think Connelly is better but I think both are just adequate and we need better than that. IMO worst case scenario we need to improve one of the 2 spots but if Wendell were here and we significantly upgrade RG then we will be good. Upgrade both even better.

I don't think Wendell is that bad. IMO its more the duo of Connelly and Wendell that really is the problem. Of the two I think Connelly is better but I think both are just adequate and we need better than that. IMO worst case scenario we need to improve one of the 2 spots but if Wendell were here and we significantly upgrade RG then we will be good. Upgrade both even better.

Wendell was whiffing horribly on stunts and was frequently getting overpowered by even mediocre DT's. Against quality DT's, he was getting dominated. Connolly and Mankins had to help on most of the passing plays the Pats ran. He absolutely needs to be replaced. I'm not going to disagree with you about Connolly but, out of the two, Wendell needs to be replaced a lot more. There are going to be some quality guys in rounds 2 and 3 that can come in as rookies and instantaneously upgrade Wendell. What do you think about the guy I mocked, Marcus Martin? He's my favorite center in the draft.

With Profootball talk now reporting Cap will be closer to 135M excuse me while I splurge ;)

Let go: Connolly ($2.5),Sopoaga($2),Adrian W(.7),Kelly(1.7), Gregory ($2.3) = around 9 mill
Restructure: Wilfork (savings 3-4),Mankins(3-4)= 6 minimum
Extend: McCourty ( save 1M), Gost ( 1M) = 2M

Total= Around 17M not including what we're under so in the upper 20's.

Sign: DE Michael Johnson, C Alex Mack, WR (one of) Nicks/Maclin/Riley
Resign: CB Talib, RB Blount.

Draft:
1. DT- RaShede Hageman (6-6 318)
2. SS- Deone Bucannon (6-1-216)
3. TE- Troy Nicklas (6-6 270)
4. TE- C.J.Fiedorowicz (6-6 262) ( move up if need be if still around)
6. OG- Brandon Linger (6-6 316)
7. BPA- Player whose issues drop him here

Dline: Jones-Wilfork-Hageman-Johnson
Oline: Solder-Mankins-Mack-Cannon-Vollmer
WR: Dobson, (Nicks/Maclin/Cooper), Amendola Boyce
TE: Gronk, CJ, Nicklas

Super bowl here we come. Now back to reality..

P.S. Dreaming aside that cap going up to around $132-135 gives everyone room to play.

Taking my first steps into this years draft/off season thread. The first moves in free agency as I see it will be to lock up our own…First we must see to locking up Talib, then Hooman, and Fletcher. Hooman and Fletcher will be cost effective and are reasonable backups. Next from out side the organization I would like to sign quality back ups for areas of need, TE and DE. Here I would peruse Scott Chandler and Jared Alen as I see them at a reasonable rate. Lastly I find that Edelman will be far to expensive for what he brings to the table. You must realize that Amendola, Boyce, T j Moe, also provide the same skill sets. So financially and personnel options will make it prohibitive to sign Edelman to that 5-7 Million dollar range that he will easily command. The 7 mill that will have gone to Edelman will cover the costs of all the free agent mentioned to sign minus Talib. So you get Hooman, Fletcher, Chandler and Allen for the price of Edelman.

Now moving into the draft as I see the board and the priorities in needs…I find our most glaring need is the weakness and ageing interior DL. This being an area where we need an impact player, and starter I would not pick any lower than our pick 29. My pick at 29 is Rashede Haseman. Bringing in a quality DT help prepare for VW’s retirement and allows us to release a few pricy veteran back ups, aiding the cap. Kelly and Sopoaga, count as over 4.656 mill.

The second most glaring problem comes on offence…The paring of Wendell and Connolly is atrocious…they are going to gat TB killed. Both WERE adequate back up but neither were starter quality, need less being over paid to the tune of 4 mill. First I would release Connolly out right and make the move of Cannon to RG leaving a need for a starting quality C. This being said I see taking Weston Richburg with our second round pick. With the starting OL in place our only consideration being as depth. Maybe Wendell will come back at a back up pay scale….But in cutting Connolly we save 3 Mill…added to the savings at DT (4.656 mill) we are now at 7.656 MILL.

And the last glaring hole on this team is at SS, not that the team hasn't tried to address itBut I think we need to take another swing….We definitely need a young hard hitter…

With the 3rd pick I would make the move for Deone Bucannon. This move makes a necessary couple of cuts possible. Both A Willson and S Gregory combine for 4.05 Mill…that combined with the previous cuts bring the cap relief to a total of 11.706 mill.

So far we have upgraded our 3 weakest areas and still saved 11.706 Mill on the cap

Next in an area of strength I would look to upgrade depth wise at LB… with the loss of Spikes, and Fletcher being our top back up, I would pick Christian Jones with the 4th pick to continue the habit of fresh young LB’s moving threw the system. So we are well protected in the area if we get hit with the injury bug and lose to starting LB’s again…..Quality free agent LB’s are hard to find and afford…

Currently I believe we have no 5th, so we move on to our pare of 6th rd picks…but before that I’ll take a snap shot of areas covered…

At DT we now have: VW, Rashede Haseman, Sealver Siliga Cory Grissom, and Chris Jones.

At Safety we now have: Mccourty, Deone Bucannon, Harmond and T Wilson, Ebner

At CB unchanged: Talib, Dennard, Ryan,Arrington,

At LB we have: Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Fletcher and Jones.

At DE: Jones, Ninkovich, Allen, Armstead, 24 players

So far that D does not look bad going into camp… on to the O…

First off I believe Blount will have competitive offers and even if we lose him we still are in fine shape with Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, and Develin, but it would be nice to keep him.

Next I do not see TE as a glaring need as the media seems to guess….We have one of the premier TE’s in the game with Gronk. Hooman proved to be an adequate back up. In signing Chandler you also have a young successful combination TE But I would take a flyer on a late pick in the H back move TE. With the 7th pick I would take Richard Rodgers as a developmental prospect…

At WR I believe all the parts are here as we really loaded up last year with both size and speed. with startes Dobson, Amendola, Boyce, Thompkins, making the second year jump. Being challenged by more size by Mark Harrison and Greg Ortin, and the speed of T.J. Moe. I do NOT see any contract considered in this area over 3.5 mill per year for 1-2 years.

At QB if Mallott cant get us at least a 3rd I see him remaining with the team and possibly getting the original pick tag next year. If by chance we get a sucker I mean taker we will find a vet back up…

Lastly the offensive weakness that effects both the run and passing game. Although we are strong and deep at the OT spot with Vollmer, Soldier, Cannon in a pinch and the current back ups in competition with draft pick Cornelius Lucas for the last OT spot.

Now we move to the heart of the problem….the interior OL of which we only have one starting quality player….In starting Cannon at guard we are getting the BEST four OL men on the field at the same time. So we are left with the heart….the C position has NO quality options…In avoidance of signing a high priced FA would chose to get a starting quality pick in the draft…. Which would require at least a second rd pick, that being Weston Richburg C…

Also with my last pick a 6th would look for competition on the IOL with Russell Bodine G/C. As I see it with Connolly and Wendell starting and the rest of the competition UN able to supplant them we need new completion….

QB: TB, Mallott

TE: Gronk, Chandler,Hooman,Richard Rodgers

RB: Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Develin

WR: Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, Mark Harrison, T J Moe, Slater…

OT: Soldier, Vollmer, (Cannon in emergency), Best of Josh Kline and Cornelius Lucas and Markus Zusevics…

C: Weston Richburg, plus best of Wendell (if he takes back up pay), and Chris Barker

G: Manikins, Cannon, plus best of Josh Kline, and Russell Bovine

49 players not counting STs

More significant cap savings with cuts resulting from this roster:Bequette .440 mill, White .645 mill, DJ Williams .645 mill, and Forston .57 mill for a total of 2.3 mill added to the earlier savings of 11.706 gives a total cap savings of just over 14 mill…

This cap savings is equivalent to the signing price of all my FA’s…Talib,Hooman, Fletcher, Allen and Chandler….

I also believe both VW and Mankins will be asked to rework their contract to hopefully get cap relief to extend players like Mccourty…

WE may also get compensatory picks for Welker and Chung…

This is my plan and im sticking to it…….till the parameters change…..

1.) lock up Talib
2.) let go Edelman, hope Moe/Boyce pick up slack
3.) draft a TE, a DE, a backup for Talib (to keep Arrington in the slot even if Talib is out), a center/guard, and some project players
4.) sign FA TE Scott Chandler
5.) make a run for TJ Ward with cap money made by..
6.) restructuring wilfork and cutting Kelly
7.) also try to make a run at Jared Allen

If this team can get starter production out of Armstead, Justin Green, or Mark Harrison, it will be a blessing from the gods because each has the potential to solve a very big problem.

More than anything I want to eliminate A gap pressure on offense and cause A gap pressure on defense. The latter is probably out of our reach this year unless Armstead becomes an interior pass rush supergod. Just can't see any effective way to address it in the short term given our other needs.

More than anything I want to eliminate A gap pressure on offense and cause A gap pressure on defense. The latter is probably out of our reach this year unless Armstead becomes an interior pass rush supergod. Just can't see any effective way to address it in the short term given our other needs.

aaaarrrgghhhhhh....get out of my head, Doc and stop mining my thoughts...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back