PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the draft impact of the Bodden signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelizePats

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I have to say that this one really surprised me in that Bodden came and went two weeks ago.
Will we now go OL and DL? I could be way off but I think we can agree that this will impact how the Pats approach the draft.
I like this signing and now officially have no clue what the Pats will do doing going into the draft?
Respects

I have to say that this one really surprised me in that Bodden came and went two weeks ago.
Will we now go OL and DL? I could be way off but I think we can agree that this will impact how the Pats approach the draft.
I like this signing and now officially have no clue what the Pats will do doing going into the draft?
Respects

I think that we are pretty much set at DB except for one eventual starter opposite Meriweather. CB is set with Hobbs/Bodden/Wheatley/Wilhite, and possibly Springs. Signing Bodden at CB means that Springs can replace Lewis Sanders at S as well, so we currently have Meriweather/Sanders/Springs. That's 7 solid DBs, with probably 9 on the roster. Spann and Richardson can cover the last 2 spots for now, though I think that there is definitely room to draft a long-term starter at S.

I'd like to see us come out of day 1 with one safety and 3 out of the following 4 positions: OT, WR, OLB, SILB. So right now I see the draft going:

23 - BVA, likely OT (Beatty), WR (Nicks), or OLB (Barwin). Possibly Maualuga at SILB if he slips.

34 - Ideally one of the players at 23 who slipped, possibly with a trade up using #89 to get to 26 to secure them. Barwin is the most likely possibility here.

47 - Probably an SILB candidate like Robert Ayers, Larry English or Clint Sintim.

58 - Best S available. Delmas would be ideal, but Sean Smith, William Moore and Patrick Chung are solid options.

I'd like to see us come out of day 1 with one safety and 3 out of the following 4 positions: OT, WR, OLB, SILB.

:ditto::agree::yeahthat:
I think that we are pretty much set at DB except for one eventual starter opposite Meriweather. CB is set with Hobbs/Bodden/Wheatley/Wilhite, and possibly Springs. Signing Bodden at CB means that Springs can replace Lewis Sanders at S as well, so we currently have Meriweather/Sanders/Springs. That's 7 solid DBs, with probably 9 on the roster. Spann and Richardson can cover the last 2 spots for now, though I think that there is definitely room to draft a long-term starter at S.

I'd like to see us come out of day 1 with one safety and 3 out of the following 4 positions: OT, WR, OLB, SILB. So right now I see the draft going:

23 - BVA, likely OT (Beatty), WR (Nicks), or OLB (Barwin). Possibly Maualuga at SILB if he slips.

34 - Ideally one of the players at 23 who slipped, possibly with a trade up using #89 to get to 26 to secure them. Barwin is the most likely possibility here.

47 - Probably an SILB candidate like Robert Ayers, Larry English or Clint Sintim.

58 - Best S available. Delmas would be ideal, but Sean Smith, William Moore and Patrick Chung are solid options.

I'd like to see us come out of day 1 with one safety and 3 out of the following 4 positions: OT, WR, OLB, SILB.

Add OL help in the 3rd and you can sign me up!

Seriously, we do seem to ignore DE, where there is a need.

Personally, I think the signing of springs and bodden speaks volumes about what BB thinks in the quality of CB that would be there when their turn comes around. But then again, maybe they are both training cap fodder to push Wilhite, Wheatley, and richardson and maybe, give room to trade Hobbs since this is his last year.

When I saw the Bodden signing, my first thought was that BB was going to use the 2009 draft to load up on OL and DL.
I think a safety at 47 would be a really smart move but my inner voice is saying that day 1 is heavy on OL and DL.

Add OL help in the 3rd and you can sign me up!

Seriously, we do seem to ignore DE, where there is a need.

I'm not at all against Jarron Gilbert at 58 if he is BVA. There's still the chance that we may resign Mike Wright. I'm not sure that DE is a big need for 2009, especially if we resign Wright; but a long term plan with Seymour's contract being up would be nice.

I don't think Chip Vaughn is out of the picture either. Especially in the late 2nd early 3rd.

He surprised people with his ability to cover at the senior bowl and he ran faster than people thought he would.

Right now Sanders is our biggest safety. I just keep thinking that a larger SS type is coming in April.

I don't think Chip Vaughn is out of the picture either. Especially in the late 2nd early 3rd.

He surprised people with his ability to cover at the senior bowl and he ran faster than people thought he would.

Right now Sanders is our biggest safety. I just keep thinking that a larger SS type is coming in April.

Chip Vaughn would be good, theres something about him. I read somewhere where it said he has a knack for the big play at crucial situation. I was also thinking about the kid from LSU the end, Jackson? He sort of seems lost in the shuffle of a draft dominated by OT and OLB types.

I think that we are pretty much set at DB except for one eventual starter opposite Meriweather. CB is set with Hobbs/Bodden/Wheatley/Wilhite, and possibly Springs.

Really? Hobbs contract is up after this year and Bodden signed a 1-year deal. Without knowing Springs contract, he may be playing on a realistic 1 to 2-year deal as well. While I think the Pats are fully prepared to go into battle at CB for 2009 (even accounting for the inevitable DB injuries), I don't think this precludes the Pats from drafting a CB if they see value...even as early as #23.

Seems to me that only flanker and SILB are remaining holes on the roster. But every position outside of QB and PK could use an upgrade or at least quality depth. So I think we can effectively eliminate QB and PK from the first day. Please, don't send me money for this insight...please donate on my behalf to the charity of your choice.

Really? Hobbs contract is up after this year and Bodden signed a 1-year deal. Without knowing Springs contract, he may be playing on a realistic 1 to 2-year deal as well. While I think the Pats are fully prepared to go into battle at CB for 2009 (even accounting for the inevitable DB injuries), I don't think this precludes the Pats from drafting a CB if they see value...even as early as #23.

Seems to me that only flanker and SILB are remaining holes on the roster. But every position outside of QB and PK could use an upgrade or at least quality depth. So I think we can effectively eliminate QB and PK from the first day. Please, don't send me money for this insight...please donate on my behalf to the charity of your choice.

Actually, I think the signing says more about how they feel about the position this year. They probably regard CB as more of a development positon this year. Hence lockin up some good pros short term.

I was talking about 2009. I don't see much room for a CB on the roster with Hobbs/Bodden/Springs/Wheatley/Wilhite. How many can we use?

I think that your issues are valid in the long term. Springs is clearly not a long-term option, and with the market the way it is for CBs I certainly don't take re-signing Hobbs as a given. However, Bodden has publicly said (today) that he had hoped to sign with the Pats long term and wants to prove himself to them and get a long term deal. And Wheatley and Wilhite will hopefully develop.

Personally, I think the signing of springs and bodden speaks volumes about what BB thinks in the quality of CB that would be there when their turn comes around. But then again, maybe they are both training cap fodder to push Wilhite, Wheatley, and richardson and maybe, give room to trade Hobbs since this is his last year.

I had that thought as well. But I think with 2 rookie CBs last year, that BB values having some vets around rather than too many inexperienced CBs.

Chip Vaughn would be good, theres something about him. I read somewhere where it said he has a knack for the big play at crucial situation. I was also thinking about the kid from LSU the end, Jackson? He sort of seems lost in the shuffle of a draft dominated by OT and OLB types.

Meh. David Bruton, to me, is the same guy, plus possibly the most highly-rated gunner in the draft. And the way draft sites have been, he's available late-third round or later. If we miss out on Delmas and Chung, he's my guy.

Last edited:
as of right now, the primary need for the secondary is a strong safety.....sure meriweather can do it, but I think meriweather would really excel as an FS

I believe that if bodden shows well, he will be extended before next season ends

Meh. David Bruton, to me, is the same guy, plus possibly the most highly-rated gunner in the draft. And the way draft sites have been, he's available late-third round or later. If we miss out on Delmas and Chung, he's my guy.

Yeah, none of the safeties in this draft really jump out at you. I just like Vaughn because he's smart and has made big plays at big times. I'm sure you like Bruton's measurables. Would you agree that safety seems to be one of the tougher positions to find hidden gems at. Most guys ussually come as advertised, good or bad.

Yeah, none of the safeties in this draft really jump out at you. I just like Vaughn because he's smart and has made big plays at big times. I'm sure you like Bruton's measurables. Would you agree that safety seems to be one of the tougher positions to find hidden gems at. Most guys ussually come as advertised, good or bad.

Yeah, I guess I would agree. It seems to be the easiest position to project to the NFL. It's also probably the position that the talent runs the deepest every year. It's not unusual to get a starting safety late in day two or in free agency. A safety better be awfully special to take one in the first two rounds.

Yeah, I guess I would agree. It seems to be the easiest position to project to the NFL. It's also probably the position that the talent runs the deepest every year. It's not unusual to get a starting safety late in day two or in free agency. A safety better be awfully special to take one in the first two rounds.

I :(said toughest you said easiest, I guess we disagree. Oh well.

I :(said toughest you said easiest, I guess we disagree. Oh well.

No...we agree. It's toughest to find those hidden gems (look out for Sherrod Martin and Jamarca Sanford this year) because it's an easy projection for NFL personnel guys to make. The good safeties will go early. Few surprises, except from the minor programs....like an angry kid out of Western Illinois a decade ago.

This is a new decision making team-but have the same blueprint. Floyd Reese was very good at selecting mid-late round players over the Tennessee years. He is consulting with Casario and Kidd. Of course make no mistake on who holds final say this year. It is hard to gauge the rd 1 direction. Because I still think that Peppers or Taylor will be added closer to the draft. This will give Patriots Value chart more flexibility. ILB-S-WR still need some challengers. A guy like Alex Mack - c-Cal-, or Evander Hood-dt-Missouri, or Harvin- Florida would become more interseting at 23. As good as Pioli was with Pat's- he missed on many picks the last 5 years. I realize the Pat's were already an elite team each year-so maybe he took to many fliers on guesswork in mid rounds-or personal likes. I believe this a an area that Floyd Reese will upgrade the Pat's quality of depth with real challengers through 7 rd's. It seems that in most recent years Pioli went into the draft looking for 1 player-maybe 2- out of 7 to make the team. I want to see 7 picks going after jobs. Building elite depth again. Not bashing Pioli-He did some great things-but everyone can improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes