PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is Rex Burkhead’s role going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOODOOZF

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I was excited when the Patriots added Burkhead to the roster in the offseason, but I just don’t see a major role for him here.

Looks like Gillislee will be taking the “Blount” role while White and Lewis will take some snaps and be the change of pace guys...So where does that leave Burkhead? They paid him a decent amount of money, they must have something in mind for him.

That game wouldn’t really indicate his role as Gillislee didn’t play.

He's such a versatile, all around RB, who's good at pretty much everything: runs well, has WR kinda moves and hands, good at special teams. My guess is that he will do a little bit of everything and with Edelman out, and 3 very good pass catching RB's, we might see more two of them on the field at the same time.

The more interesting question is whether we can afford to activate all of our RB's on game day? And if not who's gonna be inactive? I guess will depend on injuries and matchups.

Well lets take this as a chance to talk about the roles of all the backs. There is some over lap of course but here is how i see it.

Gillislee - between the tackles, goal line, main running back
Lewis - Change of pace back behind Gillislee with the option to catch
White - 3rd down back, 2 minute hurry up back.
Burkhead - General hurry up back, slot target.

I was excited when the Patriots added Burkhead to the roster in the offseason, but I just don’t see a major role for him here.

Looks like Gillislee will be taking the “Blount” role while White and Lewis will take some snaps and be the change of pace guys...So where does that leave Burkhead? They paid him a decent amount of money, they must have something in mind for him.

The fact that his "role" is hard to determine in advance is testimony to his versatility and so to the unpredictability his presence adds to the offense. The indeterminacy here is a virtue. It'll be fascinating to watch for the fans, a tool for the coaches, and an advantage to the team.

The more interesting question is whether we can afford to activate all of our RB's on game day? And if not who's gonna be inactive? I guess will depend on injuries and matchups.

That is an interesting question and I think yes.

Three players from offense, probably Hollister, Dorsett/Mitchell, and Fleming/Waddle. Two defensive backs, one linebacker, and Vincent Valentine would round out the inactive group.

They'll line half of the RBs as WRs during the game.

Last edited:
That game wouldn’t really indicate his role as Gillislee didn’t play.

And the game against the Lions wouldn't indicate Gillislee's role either because Burkhead didn't play.

He's going to have some carries and probably catch some balls out of the backfield .... occasionally he will line up outside .... also whe needed, he will pick up a blitz

BB has always altered formations to suit his team's strengths (spread offense with Moss/Welker, twin tight ends, now hybrid, etc). I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more 2 RB sets with Gronk in the intermediate routes with Cooks/Dorsett/Hogan stretching the field.

Last years RB snaps counts

Blount 527
White 426
Lewis. 163. In 7 games
Bolden. 13
Foster 16

Total. 1145

Who wants to venture a prediction on how many each back will get this year?

I'll give it a shot.
Mine will add up to more than 1145 because I expect some 2 RB formations and more offensive plays because Brady isn't serving a stupid ridiculous illegal suspension. .

Gillislee. 350
White 375
Lewis. 340
Burkhead. 120

I think will go as follows:

Gillislee - 350
White - 350
Burkhead - 350
Lewis - 200

Skill, versatility, reliability, and durability will dictate snaps. Gillislee is the best pure runner, but his receiving skills are unproven. White is the best receiver but can't run or pass protect as well. Lewis is great, but his pass protection and durability are major question marks. Burkhead is the most well rounded of the backs. I think he'll get more carries and targets than most of this board expects.

I think will go as follows:

Gillislee - 350
White - 350
Burkhead - 350
Lewis - 200

Skill, versatility, reliability, and durability will dictate snaps. Gillislee is the best pure runner, but his receiving skills are unproven. White is the best receiver but can't run or pass protect as well. Lewis is great, but his pass protection and durability are major question marks. Burkhead is the most well rounded of the backs. I think he'll get more carries and targets than most of this board expects.
I think Lewis is the best RB we have.

I think we have not glimpsed Burkhead's usage yet. He can do a lot of things well. Lewis has to hold onto the ball.

You expect more running plays because Brady isn't suspended for four games?

Last years RB snaps counts

Blount 527
White 426
Lewis. 163. In 7 games
Bolden. 13
Foster 16

Total. 1145

Who wants to venture a prediction on how many each back will get this year?

I'll give it a shot.
Mine will add up to more than 1145 because I expect some 2 RB formations and more offensive plays because Brady isn't serving a stupid ridiculous illegal suspension. .

Gillislee. 350
White 375
Lewis. 340
Burkhead. 120

Edleman was once a QB. I can see the Pats turning Burkhead into a slot receiver who can also play running back.

You expect more running plays because Brady isn't suspended for four games?
No. these are snaps. I expect the total offensive snaps to be higher than last year.

I'll take White.......while more exciting in replays, Lewis is zero yards after contact and has durability issues
Lewis has fewer yards after contact because he is making tacklers miss

White is 95% receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents