PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is PATs Oline missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JR4 said:
So dear NEM, you conclude because what they did with Cincy in the passing game they should have done with Denver and Miami. Right?

Do you even consider the opposing team's defense
in the process of drawing your conclusions about the passing game?
Do you even consider how the opposing team set it's defense on given plays?
Do you consider what other teams did agaist Miami? Like Houston that
passed more than 50% shorts left and right. Did you see the coaches tape to see why Houston didn't use the middle much?

"the inane mis-use of the middle " ? what are you talking about. They ran left, right, off tackle and yes up the middle. They even gained yards up
the middle once. The run game for the most part left, right, middle, was not very effective against Miami.
The biggest reason is probably much as you say - what was the defense taking away and what was more of an opportunity.

Another factor, following along with comments ad nauseum over the last few weeks, may be that the short patterns are more likely to get worked out first and/or have a little higher probability of success with Brady and his WR still learning to work together.

NEM seems to be just stuck on "the plays should have been different". I have a sneaking hunch that if the game had featured mostly longer passes we would have been treated with a diatribe about how the Pats are ignoring the short game. Just a hunch. And it doesn't seem to matter much whether we win or not. Or even win superbowls or not. Ah, well.

I agree. This whole thread makes little sense. Last week, posters thought we had the best patriot OL of ALL TIME. Only when some were reminded that Hannah played pretty well was the conclusion amended. The general conclusion was then that we have the best best patriot OL since Hannah retired.

Now, we are discussing the flaws, weeknesses and needs of our OL. This make absolutely no sense to me at all.

Digger44 said:
They are not missing a thing. Why is it there is something wrong with our Oline if we play a good defense? This post makes no sense.

mgteich said:
I agree. This whole thread makes little sense. Last week, posters thought we had the best patriot OL of ALL TIME. Only when some were reminded that Hannah played pretty well was the conclusion amended. The general conclusion was then that we have the best best patriot OL since Hannah retired.

Now, we are discussing the flaws, weeknesses and needs of our OL. This make absolutely no sense to me at all.

Actually the two can be reconciled. One week they are great --- next week
they can't open holes. The Oline didn't change so what's the problem.

Could it make "sense" that the Oline is great against certain defenses but
struggles against others? It that not a sensible topic to explore or do you
think the Oline was great last week and the week before and the week before .... which makes "absolutely no sense to me at all".

I believe that we are discussing the critical flaws and needs in an OL that is the best OL we've had in 30 years.

If we need to discuss why OL's look worse when playing better run defenses, then I guess we must.

For me, the OL is the best since Hannah. It was before the last two games; it was after the Cinci game, and it is after the Miami game.

We need constency? From the OL, or in the quality of the defenses we play. I have no question that this OL would be consistently more productive again weaker defense. Why would it be any other way?

Our overall game plans and schemes depend on the matchups provided by our opposition.

As with the offense, there is nothing wrong with the OL in general, and certainly nothing wrong based on data from the Miami game.

IMHO, we have some catching up to do in order to be reasonably favored over Denver, Baltimore and even San Diego in the playoffs. I have every confidence that we will indeed improve.

JR4 said:
Actually the two can be reconciled. One week they are great --- next week
they can't open holes. The Oline didn't change so what's the problem.

Could it make "sense" that the Oline is great against certain defenses but
struggles against others? It that not a sensible topic to explore or do you
think the Oline was great last week and the week before and the week before .... which makes "absolutely no sense to me at all".

mgteich said:
I believe that we are discussing the critical flaws and needs in an OL that is the best OL we've had in 30 years.

If we need to discuss why OL's look worse when playing better run defenses, then I guess we must.

For me, the OL is the best since Hannah. It was before the last two games; it was after the Cinci game, and it is after the Miami game.

We need constency? From the OL, or in the quality of the defenses we play. I have no question that this OL would be consistently more productive again weaker defense. Why would it be any other way?

Our overall game plans and schemes depend on the matchups provided by our opposition.

As with the offense, there is nothing wrong with the OL in general, and certainly nothing wrong based on data from the Miami game.

IMHO, we have some catching up to do in order to be reasonably favored over Denver, Baltimore and even San Diego in the playoffs. I have every confidence that we will indeed improve.

You're absoultely right. if we play average defenses the Oline will be consistently good.
So you say no need to wonder why it has problems with good defenses. No
need to ask the question what does it need to perform well against good
defenses. That certainly is a position you can take.

The point of this thread was not to discuss how good the Oline is when
playing average defenses. it was to ask what is it missing that
that could make it perfom better against the best defenses of the league.

If you are saying wait it will get better then that is one answer.
And you may be right. I think it may need more than that.
The Denver and Miami games are important as they may reveal there is a
need. The next real big test for the Oline is Chicago in my mind. That is
six weeks from now.

Last edited:
Road Graders. That's what OCallahan's going to develop into. And then they should draft one more next year at guard, and be all set for four years. Four years! That's amazing in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye