Welcome to PatsFans.com

What are your religious beliefs?

Discussion in 'Religion and Lighthearted Discussion' started by gomezcat, Aug 20, 2007.

1. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Agnostic is not so much "who cares" as "I can't know". This is derived from logic and the lack of a foolproof argument against the existence of God more than anything else. If you can't prove God doesn't exist, it's wise to say that rather than say he doesn't exist without the strength of the argument.

The reason I'm atheist is more inductive: it's extremely likely God doesn't exist. But I can't prove it deductively, and nobody else can, either. The agnostics are the most honest of all the positions, and the most logical.

2. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Agree. I class myself as practically an atheist, but not quite, because I can't PROVE that God doesn't exist. I'm open to the idea that I am wrong.

3. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's what I meant by "who cares" :)
    Is there a god? I don't know. I don't think so, but I know enough to know that I know nothing, so who knows, there could be. This also could be the Matrix and our robot overlords made that movie popular to mock us. Again, probably not, but I can't prove it otherwise so "meh".

4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 8 / -8

5. patriots54

patriots54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Practicing Roman Catholic. Had a span of about 2 years where I didn't go to mass regularly. Grew up going to mass weekly. Got back into it this year. I believe in God and understand that it is really important how we interact with others as well as go to church. Not like some of the people that go to church with the "holier than though" attitude and are total egotistical jerks in real life.

6. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +33 / 7 / -16

#87 Jersey

As an atheist, you don't need to prove God doesnt exist. There is a lack of evidence of the existence of God, until there is, you lack belief.

I'm an atheist btw

7. Patriotist

Patriotist Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Was raised in a "free-evangelical" household, whatever that means. I think my father convinced my mother stop practicing Catholicsm. Anyway when I turned 23, I wanted some answers to obvious questions (Existence of God, afterlife etc) and I wasn't a religious person despite growing up in a household that was lukewarm Christian at best.

I asked my dad and his new wife about will I know people in heaven, relatives and such. Couldn't give me a straight answer so I started searching on my own.

I became a religious skeptic for a few months, I like to weigh both sides of the argument (for and against Christianity). I studied the Resurrection of Christ quite a bit and stumbled upon the Orthodox Church, and I'm never looking back. It has made me a free man, I can lay those doubts to rest (yes I have come to the conclusion that Jesus did rise from the dead).

Hoping to be baptized during Holy Week leading up to Pascha this year.

8. tine

tine Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm also a catholic and we have the same religious belief. :)

9. DolphinzSuck

DolphinzSuck Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Liberal/Moderate Christian. Although I've flirted with the idea of deism and agnosticism a few times.

10. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There is a CREATOR
    Organized Religion is CRAP
    I believe our spirit lives many lives and in each 1 we experience new circumstances and something different
    we all have some great purpose in each life (some may know it most do not know what that purpose is)

heaven and hell I am at odds w/ not sure what to think.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  11. SUPERCHARGERS

SUPERCHARGERS Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

interesting

12. SUPERCHARGERS

SUPERCHARGERS Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

right religion is crap

13. SUPERCHARGERS

SUPERCHARGERS Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lol dude jesus christ's tomb would have been the most popular site in the ancient world and would have been the size of a mini castle.

14. SUPERCHARGERS

SUPERCHARGERS Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

right religion is a community thing.

15. Christiancat

Christiancat PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +83 / 1 / -13

#12 Jersey

I am a Christian I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. If you have any questions for me than feel free to ask. :)

16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 8 / -8

LOL... but... is the creator the good guy?

(A little gnostic joke there. And no, I'm not a gnostic. And I'm talking about historical gnostic belief, not web-gnosticism or whatevah)

17. brady77

brady77 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#17 Jersey

Raised Jewish. Never really believed or disbelieved until i was 13 or so, as it never entered my mind. Once I did start thinking, I realized the idiocy of religion. Been an atheist ever since.

18. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

Raised Catholic but haven't attended church regularly since I was 15. The last time I went to a mass that wasn't a wedding, christening or funeral was Easter when I was 17. I was dog tired from working a lot of hours and my mother forced me to go. It was boiling hot out and the church was a sauna. I kept falling asleep and snoring. I'd wake up to my brother roaring laughing and my mother poking me in the ribs and mouthing admonishment. I'd shrug and go back to sleep. She never forced me to go again.

I had a life altering event 3.5 years ago which made me take a close look at what I believed. I read the first half of Genesis and thought this is a really poorly written fairy tale.

I did extensive reading on a lot of other religions at that point and my views are a combination of paganism and toaism with some string theory thrown in. Basically I believe the entire universe is connected as one and that there is some type of afterlife but that it's beyond man's comprehension. I believe in reincarnation as well.

Both the belief in the afterlife and reincarnation are based in things I feel. I cannot prove them and don't expect anybody else to believe in them. I dislike religions that have a strong doctrine of thou shalt do this or that. I believe in live and let live.

19. Suddyfan

Suddyfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Happy atheist. Religion makes no sense to me... never has.

20. inmemoryofjrseau

inmemoryofjrseau Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi everyone, I'll try to keep it as short as possible but, like most us it's a long story.
    I was born & raised a strict, practicing Catholic or they referred to it as a Roman Catholic.

I went thru all the baptism as a baby, caticism ( I spelled it wrong but it's Catholic Elementary school), my 1st confession to a priest (man) called a "Father", made my 1st communion, etc. I just want all to know, we were forced as children there were 4 of us (3 boys & 1 girl) to kneel down & pray the Rosary to the Virgin Mary, mourn every death in our family by wearing all black, they'd turn the radio & TV off for one whole month, etc

It went on & on, until I finally became a teenager and I rebelled started walking out of church they called them "Masses", I could go on but, I think I've said enough so a Catholic would understand how strict & serious my parents, uncles, grandma, aunts, and extended family took their belief!

Well, naturally I rebelled big time, I still attended "Masses" but, right after myself & friends would attend a "Baptism" celebration. Which was basically a party with a lot of drinking involved.

Well, finally in my mid 20's, I started searching for GOD a very good friend of mine a "Biker" found Jesus Christ & accepted him as his Lord & Savior!

My girlfriend at the time & she later became my wife & the mother of my children.
    She had a very good friend of her's that found Jesus Christ as her Lord & Savior!

Believe it or not, a guy whom I worked with started witnessing to me from the bible the very same message! I knew for a fact that GOD was definitely trying to get my attention & he did!

I actually rebelled at 1st, I started reading the Catholic bible that still sat on display at my parents house on a shelf (collecting dust.) I thought I was going to be able to refute their message b/c I was sure that the Catholic bible would read differently & support the belief I was taught since a child! Well, the Catholic bible & the Christian bible are very much the same! There's a total of 66 books in the Christian bible & there's a total of 72 books in the Catholic bible! I was shocked to find out, that the verses they were telling me to worship GOD only read the same in the Catholic as they did in the Christian bible!

I finally decided to surrender my life to GOD THE FATHER, BY accepting JESUS CHRIST (GOD THE SON) as my LORD & SAVIOR and his sacrifice dying on the cross for my obvious transgression (SINS) and I received GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT into my life to help & console me & guide me in this life until The Almighty GOD calls me home to live with him for all Eternity!

No, I'm not perfect it's been almost 30 years walking with the Lord God & I'm like just about anyone I've struggled financially, suffered losses, been sick etc, I gained more not only eternal life but. broken relationship were repaired, I've lived to be grandpa with GOD through it all.
    I know, I'm not alone GOD is with me and he loves me. In fact, he lived & died physically in the body of Jesus Christ! U can have eternal right now, just by asking him right there where UR at to come into UR life & guide U. Just admit that we all have sinned & fall short of GOD"s Glory. He proved, he is perfect in the body of Jesus Christ!

One of my favorite verses is in the book of Acts, when a roman soldier asked
    some of Jesus followers "What must I DO TO BE SAVED" they simply answered "BELIeVE IN THE LORD JESUS CHRIST & YOU & YOUR WHOLE HOUSEHOLD WILL BE SAVED". It's written in the book of ACTS chapter 16 verses 30 & 31!

I'm sorry, I went so long but, it's very important to me and I believe to you, also! I'm not preaching religion like I was brought in I'm preaching GOD (JESUS)!
    It's a personal relationship with the creator of our world! There's been a tremendous difference in my life (even though I understand I'll never be perfect like until after death & I'm resurrected) to live with him & other believer's in him for ever! I'm just sharing, feel free to share with me or ask me any question's I'll be more than happy to answer anything asked, LOVE to YOU,ALL!