PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Westhoff accuses Patriots of building sideline wall, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, now these are all very good points and an excellent post. The first non-reflexive actual discussion I've read that seems like more than a gotcha.

You've convinced me it's repulsive what the Jets did. I'm not saying it's not. And, pressing the lowest-paid guys into is, for the reasons you state, equally repulsive.

But my fundamental point is that I think it's very possible we will see other videos dug up by ESPN or others in the coming weeks that show what appear to be other examples of "human walls." It will be interesting to see what the reaction is. I hope there are no patriots examples. And if there are, I hope they are not so obvious about standing in a place where a player can get hurt and holding their ground. If, however, the media or we degenerate into a silly discussion whether we can spot someone in the line of any such examples that arguably is not a "substitution" player, it seems we are missing the point.
To me the issue is whether the player(s) happen to be there, or are there specifically to gain an advantage against the gunner that was forced out of bounds. All return teams try to force the gunner out of bounds. If players happen to be there impeding him, that is entirely different than putting guys who have no business being there in that spot simply for the purpose of intentionally impeding the player.

What a joke. It's typical Jets coaching though, stupid decisions made by cowards who try to pass the buck the moment the heat is on. It's no wonder that team is collapsing.

I think it's very possible we will see other videos dug up by ESPN or others in the coming weeks that show what appear to be other examples of "human walls."

No question -- as we speak, every intern at every sports channel, publication and website is poring over every sideline shot they can find. It will be interesting to see what they find.

Attention deflecting 101. If Westhoff really wanted to deflect the attention away from the team, he should have pulled his shirt up and showed everyone his huge man tits.

Secret Transcript between Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum and Woody Johnson.

MT: Rex, did you order the Green Wall?
WJ: You *don't* have to answer that question!
RR: I'll answer the question!
RR: You want answers?
MT: I think I'm entitled.
RR: *You want answers?*
MT: *I want the truth!*
RR: *You can't handle the truth!*
[pauses]
RR: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men in green sweat pants. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Westhoff? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Nolan Carroll, and you curse the field goal kicker. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Carroll's injury, while tragic, probably saved yards. And my fat *****, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins games. And there is no ******* way we can win a game with Sanchez as the QB without cheating. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about in the luxury box, you want me to order the green wall, you need me to order the green wall. We use words like zerbra, 16, left. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the cheating I do, and then questions the manner in which I cheat. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you put on some green sweat pants and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
MT: Did you order the Green Wall?
RR: I did the job I...
MT: *Did you order the Green Wall?*
RR: *You're Goddamn right I did!*

A great point made by a poster over at Patriots Daily is to contrast the way the Patriots handled Spygate and the Jets and Broncos handled their scandals. It's odious if, as most of us suspect, the Jets are scapegoating Alosi as the Broncos scapegoated Scarneccia. In contrast, Belichick took full personal responsibility for Spygate and paid a heavy personal price, both financially and reputationally.

Lie Gate

A great point made by a poster over at Patriots Daily is to contrast the way the Patriots handled Spygate and the Jets and Broncos handled their scandals. It's odious if, as most of us suspect, the Jets are scapegoating Alosi as the Broncos scapegoated Scarneccia. In contrast, Belichick took full personal responsibility for Spygate and paid a heavy personal price, both financially and reputationally.

Lie Gate

That's because BB isnt a Bi**h

Some interesting voting here:
SportsNation Polls - SportsNation - ESPN

My favorite being "Which is the more egregious offense, videotaping opponents' practices or forming a sideline wall on punts" complete with area map.

Last edited:
By the way, how does Rex Ryan get away with saying he knew nothing about it when he was standing right there, staring at the tripped player laying on the ground?

Easy. Because not one national media sports writer is even mentioning what we have been noting for two days now. He's skating free and no one with any readership cares to look at it.

The classic defense. Point fingers elsewhere in the hopes the attention placed on you will be diverted. Practiced by three and four year olds worldwide.

we also beat the crap out of our competitors every week...why dont they try to copy that too. The Jets are officially out of control

I was thinking the same thing! Westoff Quote from hard knocks:

Talking to Mathew Mulligan "Matt, Mully come here. Hey come on, hey my man, straighten up! (Matt says "Nah, I kn...) "Hey nah, no nothin'. Your a good football player your strong as hell, quit gettin' f*ckin exasperated. You didnt play that many plays, your like your dead! I dont give a sh*t if you got the triple f*ckin' asian flu! When we call red, you get to the outside and you dont let that guy escape!"

hahahahaha he ordered a code red!

Last edited:

[pauses]
RR: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men in green sweat pants. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Westhoff? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Nolan Carroll, and you curse the field goal kicker. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Carroll's injury, while tragic, probably saved yards. And my fat *****, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins games. And there is no ******* way we can win a game with Sanchez as the QB without cheating. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about in the luxury box, you want me to order the green wall, you need me to order the green wall. We use words like zerbra, 16, left. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the cheating I do, and then questions the manner in which I cheat. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you put on some green sweat pants and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
MT: Did you order the Green Wall?
RR: I did the job I...
MT: *Did you order the Green Wall?*
RR: *You're Goddamn right I did!*

just awesome.:D

Re: Reiss:Sorry attempt by jets coach

Meanwhile, look for the NFL -- as it often does in knee-jerk fashion -- to make this a new "point of emphasis" in the ensuing weeks. Perhaps they'll call it the "Jet Rule."

Yup...knee-jerk is a good term here.....

Re: Reiss:Sorry attempt by jets coach

Yup...knee-jerk is a good term here.....

I burst out laughing when I read that.

Good for Reiss. I'd like to see more outrage about this from other media figures as well, but I won't hold my breath.

Kudos to Reiss for stepping up to the plate and calling bullshyt when he sees it. I know his role is not editorial in nature often, but when he calls it like he sees it, he's normally on point, and he is here.

Update: Jets owner Woody Johnson called Bob Kraft to apologize for Westhoff's accusation.

It Is What It Is - Woody Johnson to Bob Kraft: Sorry about that ‘wall’ charge

Jets owner Woody Johnson placed a call to Patriots owner Robert Kraft this week, apologizing for the accusation by Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff that the Patriots employed a special teams ‘wall’ along the sideline similar to the one that led to a coach tripping a Miami Dolphins player.

Johnson also apologized to Dolphins owner Stephen Ross for the actions of Alosi.

“I apologized to Mr. Ross. It’s not a problem for him [but] it’s a problem for me,” Johnson said. “We’re not perfect. But once we’ve made a mistake, we’re pretty good at trying to make remedies.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents