PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

West Virginia OLB/DE Bruce Irvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched a few west virginia games so i believe I can chime in with some useful insights. He is fast and almost reminds you of von miller at first glance, but he has one huge fatal flaw: functional strength. On more than one occasion i have seen him completely thrown like a rag doll. He can be useful in spurts to surprise OT with his speed but if he is left on the field to long tackles will quickly adjust to him and he will become basically useless on the field. I need to emphasize the lack of power he possess. Blitzing cornerbacks from the slot seem to be more effective than him and they seem to not get pushed around as bad as irvin sometimes is.

Until he does something about his strenght i rather use kyle arrington as a speed rusher over irvin. Irvin reminds me alot of aaron maybin.

That's something I noticed on tape too. Once he gets locked up he's out of the play. Completely gone. He can't shed anybody.

However, if for some reason a team doesn't get googly eyed over his edge burst and take him sooner than he should be, I'd be willing to spend that third on him just because of his insane turn the corner ability.

Congrats on the guys here who promoted Irvin as a first-round talent. We have been proven right.

None of us, though, would have predicted he would have gone so high.

I think he's a candidate for rookie of the year on the defensive side, though my money's on Mark Barron.

Congrats on the guys here who promoted Irvin as a first-round talent. We have been proven right.

None of us, though, would have predicted he would have gone so high.

I think he's a candidate for rookie of the year on the defensive side, though my money's on Mark Barron.

You called it. Seems the Jets, Ravens and 49'ers were aiming to take him in the first too. Still don't think the Pats would ever have done though - so you only get a half back slap :)

You called it. Seems the Jets, Ravens and 49'ers were aiming to take him in the first too. Still don't think the Pats would ever have done though - so you only get a half back slap :)

I don't know about THAT.

The "Call" was that he was WORTH a 1st Rounder, not that he'd BE a 1st Rounder.

THAT...won't be determined for a few years.

Or at least ONE. :eek:

But I'll take MY half-back slap on CREDIT. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes