PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker: "It's nice to stick it in Bill's face every once in a while"

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Wes Welker: "It's nice to stick it in Bill's face every once in a while"

heh...gee whiz gaa gaa goofy goona...dur....I wunder wy Wes Welker winked after he said that....Bill be vewy mad and do bad things now...no winky dinky for Wes...you bad Wes...Bill bench you...

can a thread get negatives stars for idiocy or what...

Agree with your sentiment.

Does it seem likely WW is going to go to the press and say to the effect 'take that BB! You are wrong!' and try to show up BB? WW has played for BB long enough to know that isn't going to fly. EVERY player on the Patriots knows that isn't going to fly with BB. The Patriots operate at a level of professionalism and singular focus on winning that permeates the organization from top to bottom. There is an adherence to a Patriot code that includes what you say to the press (among other things). WW knows this very well. So unless WW is trying to force a trade (which seems extremely unlikely), this is a silly discussion taking something WAY out of the context/venue in which it was said.

I've always defended Welker and believe we need to pay the man for a few years but he can't pull this bull#%@$ if he wants to stay here.

This is the type of BS you see come out of the Jets locker room.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH, WELKER!

Reminds me of some of the things Belichick used to say about Parcells when they were with the Giants.

These guys are competitive and Belichick certainly sticks it to them. Remember that film where Edelman runs back the kick and Belichick starts calling Wes "Wally Pipp"?

BB would like nothing better than for Wes to "stick it to him" to the tune of a super bowl and new contract.

Agree completely that BB will take WW playing with a grudge if it means greater production. Honestly, wouldn;t any fan be good with WW not strating a few more games if it motivates him to be even more of a super slot guy.
Also agree that BB (and BP) are competitive guys and will use mind games to motivate. Yet how they go about motivation is markedly different. BB does not use the media in the way BP did (BP was a media user extraordinaire). About the only thing BB uses the media for is some mild mind games/misdirection toward opponents, as well as to try to temper the media's propensity to make the Patriots out to be SB winners after a win and in desperate need of change after a loss. How BB handles the media is true representation of his philosophy: Never get too high, never get too low, consistency, every Sunday presents the possibility of a loss, say little when you lose and even less when you win.

I've always defended Welker and believe we need to pay the man for a few years but he can't pull this bull#%@$ if he wants to stay here.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH, WELKER!

Why should Welker shut his mouth? Will BB refuse to give him a long term contract or something?

Oops....

Last edited:

It's not a question of hate. It's a recognition that Julie would not be starting on any team in the NFL other than ours because our head coach has a soft spot for "Rudy" type players. Our offense looks like crap when they try to involve him. Period. We are a juggernaut when WW is doing his thing. He is the perfect WR for Tom Brady. Watching Edelman is painful. Why do mouth breathers on this board want to make excuses for this guy?

Patriots vs. Ratbirds with Edelperson: 20 points
Patriots vs. Ratbirds without Edelperson: 10 points

It's obvious that Welker is bitter about the whole contract issue but I would rather have a disgruntled player like this who has like several hundred yards in a few games and producing like an unstoppable force than a disgruntled dud like Thomas and a latter Moss who only showed up on the field and called it quits.

Welker is still on track for another 1,000+ season....we can't derail Wes in the offense or this train will crash.

I wish they would get together on the bye week and shock everyone with a nice extension for at least 2 more years.
No its not obvious. He making 10 freakin million dollars this year. How is that a bad thing. You guys are hilarious.

Why don't we start a 15 week 100 page thread about how Welker hates the Pats. Oh yeah....we already have. :rolleyes:

Patriots vs. Ratbirds with Edelperson: 20 points
Patriots vs. Ratbirds without Edelperson: 10 points

How'd they do without him this week?

Why should Welker shut his mouth? Will BB refuse to give him a long term contract or something?

Oops....

Your implication is WW doesn't need to "shut his mouth" because: (1)WW didn't get the contract he wanted/wants hence (2)he does not have to follow team rules about media because (3)The non adherence to the rules has no effect on achieving/not achieving what he wanted/wants.

Ok. That's every fan's own judgment call as to how they think WW should operate due to his theoretical unhappiness. Me? He signed his franchise tender making him a member of the Patriots which brings with it an obligation to follow the program of the coach/GM. As such, asking him to "shut his mouth" (more politely, asking him to adhere to the team's media protocol) is an entirely reasonable request/expectation.

I'm getting understand better why the "whine media" has such a following. I saw the comment live, got the humor, and thought not much more about it than that.

How in the hell can anyone think that BB is going to take any action against Wes? OK, he did the foot joke thing about Rex, but BB saw that as disrespecting another NFL coach. This BB will probably laugh at and have a good come back for Wes.

Nothing to see here.

Your implication is WW doesn't need to "shut his mouth" because: (1)WW didn't get the contract he wanted/wants hence (2)he does not have to follow team rules about media because (3)The non adherence to the rules has no effect on achieving/not achieving what he wanted/wants.

Ok. That's every fan's own judgment call as to how they think WW should operate due to his theoretical unhappiness. Me? He signed his franchise tender making him a member of the Patriots which brings with it an obligation to follow the program of the coach/GM. As such, asking him to "shut his mouth" (more politely, asking him to adhere to the team's media protocol) is an entirely reasonable request/expectation.

It's important to differentiate Welker's comment about his coach after a tremendous performance and a win over a key Conference rival from negative comments spewing from a locker room after a loss or during a disappointing season.

Welker did not criticize or question a teammate or his coaching staff. He also didn't provide any locker room fodder to any opponent by denigrating them. It was a very clever way to take an opportunity to tweak his coach and get a laugh out of his teammates.

There's nothing here that matters in the long run.

How'd they do without him this week?

You are responding to a post comparing how they did the two halves against the BALTIMORE RAVENS defense.

I didn't see anyone who looked like Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Ladarius Webb or Ray Lewis out on the field playing for Denver yesterday. In fact, I saw pretty much the same personnel (with the same excellent speed rushers) that the Patriots hung 80+ points on last year in two games.

Is Welker, even at 33 (which he will be next year), a better WR than Edelman? You betcha. A FAR better WR.

Is he $8 million per year from age 33-37 a better all-round football player to this team than Edelman? No.

You think like a fan.

Belichick, Najarian and Reese have to actually RUN this team.

Last edited:

Looked to me like WW was the most important Patriot on the field in the passing game. More so than everyone else put together, in fact. Things should change when Hernandez and Edelman return, but right now WW and Ridley are masking some weaknesses in the passing game.

It's important to differentiate Welker's comment about his coach after a tremendous performance and a win over a key Conference rival from negative comments spewing from a locker room after a loss or during a disappointing season.

Welker did not criticize or question a teammate or his coaching staff. He also didn't provide any locker room fodder to any opponent by denigrating them. It was a very clever way to take an opportunity to tweak his coach and get a laugh out of his teammates.

There's nothing here that matters in the long run.

I agree (and said so in multiple previous posts). I certainly didn't see or take away from what WW said a 'dis' of coach BB (something that wouldn't fly).
I was responding to a hypothetical regarding the implication WW can say 'whatever' because he is unhappy/it will not change his contract status.

Love Wes!!! :rocker:

here we go again....if BB is gonna practice what he preaches....and that is to do what is best for the t-e-a-m, team, then he best not be benching 83, he would be an idiot if he did.

Welker has a chip on his shoulder, obviously, and IMO, harnessing that chip and using it for the benefit of the t-e-a-m would be a wise move on his part.

A cheeky comment that Bill may feel is unnecessary distraction. Especially the way the Boston media is and how they blow things up.

Should not be a big deal, but you never know.

If Edelman's on the field taking Welker's snaps while Welker's on the sidelines, Edelman's taking Welker's role.

They aren't Welker's snaps.

By this logic any time Lloyd is on the field and Welker isn't then Lloyd is taking Welker's snaps since you're apparently using Madden roster management logic for this idea.

Welker is our slot guy. When Edelman is lined up in the slot playing the slot role and Welker is on the sidelines then yeah, that's when Edelman is taking snaps from Welker.

But that wasn't the case the first 2 games.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH, WELKER!

Wes knows he's gone next year.
Speaking of sticking it in Bill's face, can you see Wes Welker wearing Bronco blue next season??? Ouch!!!
Peyton Manning is drooling at the thought ......

Welker on 13 catches: 'Nice to stick it in Bill's face'

Kidding or not,a bit of the frustration Welker must have gone through shines a bit out in the open in this video

Welker tells it as it is,you gotta love his honesty

:rofl: You could tell that Welker thought it over for a moment before he said it. He might have figured that Belichick would get the joke and laugh at it too. Welker must be one funny guy in that locker room.

You have to wonder if Wes makes that SB catch,is he signed by now?

The proper question is, if Brady threw a better pass would Welker be signed by now? The Welker TD pass yesterday was a perfect example of why. If Brady puts that pass in the same place as he did the pass in the SB, no way Welker can get to it. Brady missed wide left in the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back