PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker: "It's nice to stick it in Bill's face every once in a while"

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Wes Welker: "It's nice to stick it in Bill's face every once in a while"

:rofl: You could tell that Welker thought it over for a moment before he said it. He might have figured that Belichick would get the joke and laugh at it too. Welker must be one funny guy in that locker room.

Will be interesting to see if he starts Sun.

Looked to me like WW was the most important Patriot on the field in the passing game. More so than everyone else put together, in fact. Things should change when Hernandez and Edelman return, but right now WW and Ridley are masking some weaknesses in the passing game.

Technically speaking, it's the threat of the pass that put the defense on the field that allowed the running game to go nuts in the no-huddle. It was a remarkable thing to see. Someone pinch me.

You are responding to a post comparing how they did the two halves against the BALTIMORE RAVENS defense.

I didn't see anyone who looked like Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Ladarius Webb or Ray Lewis out on the field playing for Denver yesterday. In fact, I saw pretty much the same personnel (with the same excellent speed rushers) that the Patriots hung 80+ points on last year in two games.

Is Welker, even at 33 (which he will be next year), a better WR than Edelman? You betcha. A FAR better WR.

Is he $8 million per year from age 33-37 a better all-round football player to this team than Edelman? No.

You think like a fan.

Belichick, Najarian and Reese have to actually RUN this team.

Agree with all you said, but.......

you say the bolded part as if its a BAD THING.

My fan-part wants welker locked up too (but it also wants him cheap so we can afford more toys..:D )

Agree with all you said, but.......

you say the bolded part as if its a BAD THING.

My fan-part wants welker locked up too (but it also wants him cheap so we can afford more toys..:D )

Not at all a bad thing.

We can all think like fans, that's what makes it fun.

It is a problem when a FRONT OFFICE thinks like fans.

........Just ask any Jets or Redskins ticket holder.

Given Welker's laugh in this statement, I think he might've just been having fun with the media stories that were surrounding him.

I'm going to choose to believe that it had less to do with Welker and more
that it was more of a 'Let's see Edleman play a bit to decide if we should offer him an in-season contract extension'

That explanation makes more sense than Bill being angry Welker didn't sign a multiyear deal on Bill's terms or that JE actually passed Welker on the depth chart.

I think a lot of us have been drinking the Foxboro kool aide for so long, that when someone actually says something off script, it's news. I agree that this is probably much ado about nothing as the guy likely knows what he can get away with re: his relationship with BB. However, this will assuredly be blown way out of proportion. I for one wish he would have stayed on the script. IMO nothing good will come out of it, even though he was clearly fooling around.

I think a lot of us have been drinking the Foxboro kool aide for so long, that when someone actually says something off script, it's news. I agree that this is probably much ado about nothing as the guy likely knows what he can get away with re: his relationship with BB. However, this will assuredly be blown way out of proportion. I for one wish he would have stayed on the script. IMO nothing good will come out of it, even though he was clearly fooling around.

Meh...i think it's a non-issue. He was clearly joking and i doubt BB would care.

Benching Welker for his foot comments is a little different imo because BB took it as trash talk and something that he hates giving to other teams.

Welker was clearly fooling around but it is interesting to note that Welker threw that zinger at Belichick and not the coach who formulates the O gameplan and calls the O plays, OC Josh McDaniel.
DO NOT underestimate the strain in the relationship between Welker and Belichick.

Watched the video. It was good-natured and I'm sure BB doesn't mind if he's getting the kind of production from Welker that we've seen in recent weeks.

I think maybe the locals are too used to the ****-fest that happened with the Red Sox clubhouse and are looking for their drama fix now that their season is over. (Saying this as a Red Sox fan who is tired of the nonsense for the last 13 months).

Watched the video. It was good-natured and I'm sure BB doesn't mind if he's getting the kind of production from Welker that we've seen in recent weeks.

I think maybe the locals are too used to the ****-fest that happened with the Red Sox clubhouse and are looking for their drama fix now that their season is over. (Saying this as a Red Sox fan who is tired of the nonsense for the last 13 months).

Can you find me a quote from ANY other player in the NFL who kiddingly (or otherwise) says he' s sticking it in his HC's face??
Anyone??
Nevermind that it came from a player who has had contract negotiations go nowhere, has not been signed to a longterm contract despite being the best slot receiver in football, who's been been stuck with the francise tag, doesn't start a game and sees his playing time and role in the offense limited at the start of the season.........

Welker's humorous shot is not a big story but please don't minimize it either.

Like I said, find me another example of ANY other player in the NFL who kiddingly (or otherwise) says it's nice to stick it in their HC's face???

Can you find me a quote from ANY other player in the NFL who kiddingly (or otherwise) says he' s sticking it in his HC's face??
Anyone??
Nevermind that it came from a player who has had contract negotiations go nowhere, has not been signed to a longterm contract despite being the best slot receiver in football, who's been been stuck with the francise tag, doesn't start a game and sees his playing time and role in the offense limited at the start of the season.........

Welker's humorous shot is not a big story but please don't minimize it either.

Like I said, find me another example of ANY other player in the NFL who kiddingly (or otherwise) says it's nice to stick it in their HC's face???

If you want to stress out over this, that's your business. But I'm not worrying about it and I doubt anything will come of this other than what is said on forums or in newspapers.

So I just turned on the radio hoping to hear some post game talk. Instead they are talking about Welker's comment and what it means. Turned it right off. Grrrr...the media sucks.

Wow
There is a lot of dumb people in this world

WW was taking a shot at Felger not at BB

He was basically calling Felger a dumb ass for his reporting of the situation and for asking the question in such a hem-haw and afraid to ask manner ... by using what Felger had said about WW and BB

He's right to cause a distraction? He's right to show up the coach?

It was a stupid, stupid thing to say. Its guaranteed to be on ESPN and BB is going to be questioned on it. The fact that you are so overjoyed about it is baffling to me. You want BB to lose his locker room?

Overreact much? BB is not going to lose his lockerroom over one comment from a player that was said tongue in cheek. Calm down now, the sky is not falling!

Your implication is WW doesn't need to "shut his mouth" because: (1)WW didn't get the contract he wanted/wants hence (2)he does not have to follow team rules about media because (3)The non adherence to the rules has no effect on achieving/not achieving what he wanted/wants.

No, my implication is that BB doesn't have a contract to hold over Welker, because he already refused to give one to the guy. I'd already said that the comment was nothing. The point of the post you're quoting is that, even if BB gets his nose out of joint, there's not a whole lot there for BB on the contract front.

Last edited:

You are responding to a post comparing how they did the two halves against the BALTIMORE RAVENS defense.

I didn't see anyone who looked like Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Ladarius Webb or Ray Lewis out on the field playing for Denver yesterday. In fact, I saw pretty much the same personnel (with the same excellent speed rushers) that the Patriots hung 80+ points on last year in two games.

Is Welker, even at 33 (which he will be next year), a better WR than Edelman? You betcha. A FAR better WR.

Is he $8 million per year from age 33-37 a better all-round football player to this team than Edelman? No.

You think like a fan.

Belichick, Najarian and Reese have to actually RUN this team.

Yeah.... You got this completely wrong.

I was responding to a really poor argument about points scored, which clearly implied that the offense was not as good without Edelman while not offering context or reasoning. My response was imply that the offense was just fine without Edelman in the Denver game.

And, you may not know this, but the Broncos have made a bunch of changes to their defense.

Last edited:

That's just not true. Edelman was taking snaps away from Welker in the 2 TE sets.

Welker's snap were being limited, for any of a number of reasons, none of which were that he wasn't the best player to have on the field.

They aren't Welker's snaps.

By this logic any time Lloyd is on the field and Welker isn't then Lloyd is taking Welker's snaps since you're apparently using Madden roster management logic for this idea.

Welker is our slot guy. When Edelman is lined up in the slot playing the slot role and Welker is on the sidelines then yeah, that's when Edelman is taking snaps from Welker.

But that wasn't the case the first 2 games.

You can try using this as an argument. It's just incorrect. When Welker's on the bench and Edelman's on the field as the WR2, Edelman's taking Welker's role as the WR2/WR2, and that's obviously taking his snaps since Welker's on the bench and Edelman's not.

It's about as obvious as it gets. If you can't grasp something that basic, football may be too complicated for you.

Also, as for the specific routes, feel free to take that up with Zolak and others who noted that Edelman was getting Welker routes in the first 2 games.

Last edited:

He's right to cause a distraction? He's right to show up the coach?

It was a stupid, stupid thing to say. Its guaranteed to be on ESPN and BB is going to be questioned on it. The fact that you are so overjoyed about it is baffling to me. You want BB to lose his locker room?

Disagree. I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing an "edge" to the locker room, as long as everyone is working hard and doing their job. Welker is a mature (i.e., not Santonio Holmes), competitive guy; Belichick is in zero danger of "losing" a locker room over an aggressive quote, in apparent good humor, by a Pro Bowl player.

As Abraham Lincoln famously said when someone complained to him, at the height of the Civil War, about Ulysses S. Grant's excessive drinking, "Well, send a case of whatever he drinks to the rest of my Generals."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back