PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady's favorite receiver has been and still is whoever is open. The distribution changes when you put a guy on the field who gets open all the time.

That was true of the Brady we all knew from a decade ago, but not the current one. At some point Brady turned into a diva and it seems like a receiver has to bend over backwards to gain his trust. Some of the balls he forces to Gronk are just ridiculous and the old Brady just wouldn't do it. Still love him, but I see the difference. I think it is part of the reason why we struggle to break 20 points in the playoffs because other teams see it as well.

That was true of the Brady we all knew from a decade ago, but not the current one. At some point Brady turned into a diva and it seems like a receiver has to bend over backwards to gain his trust. Some of the balls he forces to Gronk are just ridiculous and the old Brady just wouldn't do it. Still love him, but I see the difference. I think it is part of the reason why we struggle to break 20 points in the playoffs because other teams see it as well.

I think it also reared it's head in the KC game, although many things were problematic that game.

JG came in and was completing passes to guys like LaFell when Brady was not looking his way.

He corrected it pretty quickly after that game, but maybe that is now a tendency that he needs to be reminded of periodically when he gets too comfortable with just a couple of receivers.

I know in the SD game on his pick by Teo, Amendola was uncovered without a defender in sight in the middle of the field.

There is no reason we should make things easier on opposing defenses by being too predictable.

I think it also reared it's head in the KC game, although many things were problematic that game.

JG came in and was completing passes to guys like LaFell when Brady was not looking his way.

He corrected it pretty quickly after that game, but maybe that is now a tendency that he needs to be reminded of periodically when he gets too comfortable with just a couple of receivers.

I know in the SD game on his pick by Teo. Amendola was uncovered without a defender in sight in the middle of the field.

There is no reason we should make things easier on opposing defenses by being too prrdictablr.

If that is indeed the case, then the half he played against Buffalo should be a good sign. Results of the game weren't good (and never would be without your two top targets and 2/5ths of your OL), but he completed multiple passes to Amendola and Tyms. Not saying they'll become top targets for him, but perhaps he'll be just a that tiny little bit more willing to look in their direction going forward. Trust is important with any QB.

Any 1 hear anything on Smoothie Tyme? All 53 were at practice so I guess that would mean that he is good to go....?

Cannot agree with you there. If you look at film Brady's reads and progressions are clear and nobody in the NFL does a better job of determining what 'open' means, including the fact that the longer the play lasts, the more aggressive you have to be about judging what open is.
Of course he will throw to Gronk when he is covered tighter than he would Amendola or Hooman, but I don't understand how that can be considered forcing or a bad decision.

Brady to Gronk, completion percentage

2014 63% Last 8 games (once Gronk was fully healthy) 68%
2013 59% after 1st 2 games back 66%
2012 60%
2011 73%
2010 71%

Overall 67%

Given the amount of down the field throws, and the attention defenses pay to Gronkowski that is a great completion percentage, and evidence of exactly the opposite of your contention that Brady forces the ball to him.

Yeah, not so much.
LaFell was targetted 8 times in the game before KC and 4 then 6 then 5 in the 3 after it.
What receivers are targetted are a function of the plays that are called, and the defense the opponent plays.

By the way, in the KC game Brady threw to LaFell 8 times. Garap threw to him twice, completing 1, so your premise is mistaken.

I know in the SD game on his pick by Teo, Amendola was uncovered without a defender in sight in the middle of the field.
This is irrelevant if the progression said don't look at Amendola yet. QBs don't drop back and watch all 5 receivers to see who is most open. It just doesn't work that way.
They are given a primary read (which can be different depending on the coverage). If open, they throw it. If not they go to the second target, and so on.

There is no reason we should make things easier on opposing defenses by being too predictable.

Which is a reason why we don't.

If that is indeed the case, then the half he played against Buffalo should be a good sign. Results of the game weren't good (and never would be without your two top targets and 2/5ths of your OL), but he completed multiple passes to Amendola and Tyms. Not saying they'll become top targets for him, but perhaps he'll be just a that tiny little bit more willing to look in their direction going forward. Trust is important with any QB.
In fact it wasn't the case.
Oak Brady to LaFell 8 targets
KC Brady to Lafell 8 targets JG to Lafell 2
Cincy Brady to Lafell 4 targets
Buff Brady to Lafell 6 targets
Jets Brady to Lafell 5 targets

In fact it wasn't the case.
Oak Brady to LaFell 8 targets
KC Brady to Lafell 8 targets JG to Lafell 2
Cincy Brady to Lafell 4 targets
Buff Brady to Lafell 6 targets
Jets Brady to Lafell 5 targets

I wasn't sure it was, just positing a reason to be optimistic even if it were. Personally, I think people need to stop worrying about WR's, TE's, etc, and start focusing on potential TARGETS. In 2007, Brady's top three in targets were all WR's. This year, it's two WR's and a TE. Both teams' fourth target was a RB and 5th was another WR. But for some reason the idea of not having that 3rd WR being a big part of the offense is giving people fits.

I wasn't sure it was, just positing a reason to be optimistic even if it were. Personally, I think people need to stop worrying about WR's, TE's, etc, and start focusing on potential TARGETS. In 2007, Brady's top three in targets were all WR's. This year, it's two WR's and a TE. Both teams' fourth target was a RB and 5th was another WR. But for some reason the idea of not having that 3rd WR being a big part of the offense is giving people fits.

Frankly, I consider it creating an issue that doesn't exist. Some people like to complain, and they look for a reason. Gee when Brady has a great receiver he throws to him more so that must mean, even though the offense does much better that Brady has a problem with forcing the ball. Brady has not changed. His receivers are ever changing, so the distribution changes.

His 5-0 record is mainly off of their super bowl year in 2012 as they failed to make the playoffs last year.

Which is why I also included the past 9 postseason games too = 20 touchdowns + 2 interceptions. Those aren't numbers that scream "fraud" to me.

I'm not coming close to disputing the notion that Flacco has weaknesses, but I think it's being taken overboard a lot. Obviously, he knows how to win in the postseason, and poses a serious threat. That said, I think he's far from "elite," but he's a certainly a decent postseason QB.

I do feel more comfortable with a much stronger defense, though.

Last edited:
As they say, haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate, and homers gonna homer.

I think I saw that on a bumper sticker last week :)

No worries Sup. The poster who responded directly to me was what you stated you compltely agreed with. Rightly or wrongly I assumed the rest.....:)

Sorry, my friend. I didn't read that far back and/or it was likely late at night. My bad. I've been dealing with sleep issues for awhile, so sometimes I'm only half there.

Some would claim that often times I'm only half there ;)

Hey guys, I've been doing some recon on the Ravens board and have noticed a few things they keep talking about.

1. Both Smiths have trouble getting off the LOS if pressed, more so T. Smith.
2. They are looking at the Jets game to how to beat the Pats. (Dean Pees is a different coordinator than Rex, unlikely they employ the same gameplan)
3. Flacco likes throwing deep to his left, which has been our main weakness this year in the passing game. (Stats per PFF)
4. They think their pass rush is better than Denver's LOL
5. Finally, they talked about Forsett looking like he has run out of gas late in the year, since he is not a main back at any point in his career

Anyone wanna hear a fun fact?

Outside of Pittsburgh, Baltimore's record against winning teams this year:

0-6.

Hey guys, I've been doing some recon on the Ravens board

I can refer you to a good therapist if you ever want help with that masochism.

so nervous about this game....
would suck to be one and done. lol

Sorry, my friend. I didn't read that far back and/or it was likely late at night. My bad. I've been dealing with sleep issues for awhile, so sometimes I'm only half there.

Some would claim that often times I'm only half there ;)

I'm on that same sleep issue wave length too. I fly as part of my work. Time zone jumping, different hotel room beds, sleeping on the plane.....not conducive to getting plenty of sleep or having a normal sleep pattern. I've been doing it for so many years I can't sleep on a regular schedule even if I had to/need to.

Maybe sleep deprivation has you erroneously believing the Ravens are fearsome when they actually are not -- if not then I'm the one who is wrong (which means I need sleep even more than you :D)

I'm just stressed. Im stressed with my crappy job, I'm stressed with school and now stressed about this game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe