PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.
And other DLs were not handled. We can add the Dolphins and Bills DLs to that list. Again, what's your point?
Seem to believe that the pats controlled Buffalos perfectly in the first game and second time against the Dolphins? But that wouldn't fit the agenda to be scared of the Ravens so many push. When it mattered, and the pats stayed with our oline starters, they handled anyone and everyone, when all 5 were healthy. But deus, don't let it get in the way [emoji12]

And other DLs were not handled. We can add the Dolphins and Bills DLs to that list. Again, what's your point?

9/7 @ Mia: 4 sacks, Lost 33-20 (Patriots had 1 sack)
10/12 @ Buff: 2 sacks, Won 37-22 (NE had 5 sacks)
12/14 Mia@NE: 0 sacks, Won 41-13 (NE had 4 sacks)
12/28 Buf@NE: 4 sacks, Lost 17-9 (NE had 2 sacks)

So if Buffalo getting 2 sacks and 4 sacks in their games against NE constitutes "not being handled", I guess we have an even better DL than they do because we go 5 sacks and 2 sacks in those two games.

Similarly, when Miami beat us in sacks 4-1 in Sept., that constituted absolute dominance. Dominance that we matched in Dec. when we got 4 and they got shut out.

You know, it's funny how everyone wants to bring up the 2 playoff loses but dismiss last years Dec. 22 game. Know why Balt. missed the playoffs last year? Because we crushed them in that game. In their house. 41-7. With their season on the line. Essentially that game was their playoff. They came in to the game 8-6.

If they had beaten us at home and beaten the Bungles the next week the Div. was theirs. Instead we crushed them and then Cincy *****-slapped them the next week. If we get up on them early they'll mail it in early. Especially when it's bitter cold. This team doesn't have the same grit anymore.

9/7 @ Mia: 4 sacks, Lost 33-20 (Patriots had 1 sack)
10/12 @ Buff: 2 sacks, Won 37-22 (NE had 5 sacks)
12/14 Mia@NE: 0 sacks, Won 41-13 (NE had 4 sacks)
12/28 Buf@NE: 4 sacks, Lost 17-9 (NE had 2 sacks)

So if Buffalo getting 2 sacks and 4 sacks in their games against NE constitutes "not being handled", I guess we have an even better DL than they do because we go 5 sacks and 2 sacks in those two games.

Similarly, when Miami beat us in sacks 4-1 in Sept., that constituted absolute dominance. Dominance that we matched in Dec. when we got 4 and they got shut out.

Are you really going with this?

First of all, on 10/12, the Bills DL pressured Brady and held the Patriots to less than 2 yards per carry. The second game was a beat down by their line. And looking only at sack totals is idiotic. Second, the homers are being every bit as ridiculous as those they deride. There are just more of them. They should know better, too, because this is something that's been talked about for years, which makes their position not just ridiculous, but as stupid as all get out.

The reality is that the Patriots line has struggled in quite a few games this year. No matter how you try to cover it up, that reality is going to remain a reality. Yes, the Patriots might win this game. Yes, the Patriots might kick the Ravens asses up and down the field. No, that won't change the fact that the Ravens play the type of defense that has been giving the Patriots problems for a long time, and people who have concerns about this are not just making up those concerns out of whole cloth.

It's the Divisional Round of the play offs. I wouldn't be that offended that the media and NFL are trying to hype the game by turning the 2014 Baltimore Ravens into Touchdown Tom's Achilles heel.

It makes the game more interesting for people who aren't invested in either team.

As for our usual local suspects, well, it's just what they do.... because you keep tuning in for it.

Are you really going with this?

First of all, on 10/12, the Bills DL pressured Brady and held the Patriots to less than 2 yards per carry.

Tom threw for 361 yards and four TDs.

The second game was a beat down by their line.

Not sure we can conclude anything about either team from that game.

And looking only at sack totals is idiotic.

Ok, tell me how you quantify line play.

The reality is that the Patriots line has struggled in quite a few games this year. No matter how you try to cover it up, that reality is going to remain a reality.

No argument here that they have struggled, but tell me which teams have OL's that you wish we had and tell me how we compare statistically.

Of the 2 other possible opponents:

Colts
Bengals

which would have been a worse match up for the Patriots than the Ravens
?

Is this based on gut feeling, past seasons, statistics, simple game watching?

2014 Ravens Results against Indy and Cincy:
Indy Colts Vs Baltimore = 7 point loss
Cincy Bengals Vs Baltimore - 7 point loss
Cincy Bengals Vs Baltimore - 3 point loss
((they had two shots at Cincy and couldn't best them once))

The last 5 games of the season for Baltimore: 20-10 over Cleveland (10-3 cleveland leading in the 4th - Go Connor Shaw!), 25-13 loss to the Texans, 20-12 win over Jax (17 to 12 up until the final minutes - Go Blake Bortles!), 34-33 loss to Chargers, 28-13 over Miami (a game that was 14-13 up to approx. 10 mins left in the 4th quarter). I'd go further back than 5, one that would paints only a modestly better picture), but the performance difference isn't extremely contrasting.
The 2014 Ravens paint a picture of not displaying a high level potency except in few spots and mostly against flotsam and jetsam (very few wins against playoff teams).
Yet it is patently obvious the Ravens are who we wouldn't want to play out of those three? Except for last week's performance, that conclusion isn't overly supported by the 2014 Raven track record. The big picture says, IMHO, the Patriots have have more often than not dismissed teams of the 2014 Raven's caliber.

Ravens play us just like NYG. Bump and run on the outside and pressure up the middle. Difference is now the Pats have LaFell and a healthy 87. LaFell and the back shoulder is a huge help. If the line blocks, the Pats will win the SB. Easier said then done, but that's the truth. I wish the Riddler was still happy, perfect combo of between the tackles and the ability to get loose outside

If the line blocks, the Pats will win the SB. Easier said then done, but that's the truth. I wish the Riddler was still happy, perfect combo of between the tackles and the ability to get loose outside

I hear you. I still believe that we're going to try and run the ball more than a lot of people think, although that probably still means about 60/40 pass.

FYI---in the 2014 NFL season, teams that attempted to throw the ball more than 40+ times ("magic 40" rule) won approx. 35 percent of the time. They were 44-83-2 in games where forty or more passes were thrown.

Yes, I know...causation/correlation etc--but proper balance is still needed, particularly at this point in the season.

I hear you. I still believe that we're going to try and run the ball more than a lot of people think, although that probably still means about 60/40 pass.

FYI---in the 2014 NFL season, teams that attempted to throw the ball more than 40+ times ("magic 40" rule) won approx. 35 percent of the time. They were 44-83-2 in games where forty or more passes were thrown.

Yes, I know...causation/correlation etc--but proper balance is still needed, particularly at this point in the season.
Pats are going to open with Vereen and go no small and quick to have more receivers for brady to dump off. I dont think blount will play a lot especially early on unless things are not working .

Honestly, I'm expecting a blowout this weekend. I'm glad it's the Ravens because I think the Pats are sick and tired of the media bs. They have a chip on their shoulder from being told that some 3rd rate team that is nothing like the teams from 2009 and 2012 is somehow their worst nightmare. I think by Saturday the bulletin board is going to need reinforcement from all the stupid articles being written right now about how the Patriots are so ah-scared of the mighty Ravens who apparently are the greatest team since the 85 Bears.

So you choose to believe dumb things.

The Patriots lost the Super Bowl against the Giants in 2011 because:

Gronk's ankle....does anyone even remotely think Blackburn gets that INT with a healthy Gronk?

WELKER DROPPED THE GAME WINNING TD PASS.

How "hard" the Giants were/are meant exactly squat.

The only things that have kept the Patriots from winning the last three Lombardi's are:

Injuries
Failure to make plays when they were presented.

All these "hardened" opponents....pass rush.....punched in the mouth....physical nonsense is just complete nonsense.

The Oline/Dline/ What's my line/clothesline means little.

No injuries...and simply execute and this team hoists another Lombardi.

Um you lost me here... What does any of that have to do with the fact that I think the 2014 Ravens will be a much tougher matchup than the 2012 Texans and 2013 Colts were?

Is this based on gut feeling, past seasons, statistics, simple game watching?

2014 Ravens Results against Indy and Cincy:
Indy Colts Vs Baltimore = 7 point loss
Cincy Bengals Vs Baltimore - 7 point loss
Cincy Bengals Vs Baltimore - 3 point loss
((they had two shots at Cincy and couldn't best them once))

The last 5 games of the season for Baltimore: 20-10 over Cleveland (10-3 cleveland leading in the 4th - Go Connor Shaw!), 25-13 loss to the Texans, 20-12 win over Jax (17 to 12 up until the final minutes - Go Blake Bortles!), 34-33 loss to Chargers, 28-13 over Miami (a game that was 14-13 up to approx. 10 mins left in the 4th quarter). I'd go further back than 5, one that would paints only a modestly better picture), but the performance difference isn't extremely contrasting.
The 2014 Ravens paint a picture of not displaying a high level potency except in few spots and mostly against flotsam and jetsam (very few wins against playoff teams).
Yet it is patently obvious the Ravens are who we wouldn't want to play out of those three? Except for last week's performance, that conclusion isn't overly supported by the 2014 Raven track record. The big picture says, IMHO, the Patriots have have more often than not dismissed teams of the 2014 Raven's caliber.

You can go back to most of the teams the Pats have lost to in the playoffs and make the same argument. Ultimately, how the Ravens play against other teams is completely irrelevant. It is somewhat relevant how the Ravens have played the Patriots in the past. Most relevant, however, is how their personnel, style, and coaching staff matches up with the Patriots right now. Based on their front 7, balanced offense that threatens all parts of the field, and coaching (including someone with inside knowledge of how the Patriots operate), the Ravens match up pretty well. The Patriots now have plenty of experience of losing playoff games to teams that were much worse than them in the regular season. It surprises me that so many are getting caught up on the Ravens' regular season record and not focusing on the obvious matchup problems they present.

You can go back to most of the teams the Pats have lost to in the playoffs and make the same argument. Ultimately, how the Ravens play against other teams is completely irrelevant. It is somewhat relevant how the Ravens have played the Patriots in the past. Most relevant, however, is how their personnel, style, and coaching staff matches up with the Patriots right now. Based on their front 7, balanced offense that threatens all parts of the field, and coaching (including someone with inside knowledge of how the Patriots operate), the Ravens match up pretty well. The Patriots now have plenty of experience of losing playoff games to teams that were much worse than them in the regular season. It surprises me that so many are getting caught up on the Ravens' regular season record and not focusing on the obvious matchup problems they present.

I agree. Some people are just outright making stuff up with Flacco's failures, etc. For the record, here are his last 5 playoff games:

5-0 record
13 touchdowns
0 interceptions

They've certainly proven themselves to be a worthy foe. Luckily, if our OL holds up and our defense (finally, we can say this!) does too, we should be able to move on. It probably won't be easy though, as many are expecting a dogfight. The hope is that our defense can cause a turnover or two and really help things out.

My main concern is seeing our receivers jammed at the line and funneled towards the middle of the field with 7+ in coverage (when they don't blitz), which will buy their front four an extra second or two to get to Brady.

I agree. Some people are just outright making stuff up with Flacco's failures, etc. For the record, here are his last 5 playoff games:

5-0 record
13 touchdowns
0 interceptions

They've certainly proven themselves to be a worthy foe. Luckily, if our OL holds up and our defense (finally, we can say this!) does too, we should be able to move on. It probably won't be easy though, as many are expecting a dogfight. The hope is that our defense can cause a turnover or two and really help things out.

My main concern is seeing our receivers jammed at the line and funneled towards the middle of the field with 7+ in coverage (when they don't blitz), which will buy their front four an extra second or two to get to Brady.

As they say, haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate, and homers gonna homer.

Why is it necessary for you to be a ****?

Is that internal monologue? Don't be a condescending twit and then get upset when someone calls you out for it.

I feel that anyone who says that either team would be a worse matchup than Baltimore is not being truthful.

Since 2001, the Patriots are 11-1 with a +13.4 PPG differential and a +12 turnover margin against all non-Ravens teams in the post-season.

Against the Ravens in the post-season (since 2001), the Patriots are 1-2 with a -10.3 PPG differential and -7 turnover margin.
3 games isn't much of a sample size.

Is that internal monologue? Don't be a condescending twit and then get upset when someone calls you out for it.
So I'll take that as a yes.
You should reread your posts before calling anyone condescending. In the end I place zero value on your opinion and your penchant to ignore facts.
Being a little ***** doesn't make your opinion better. How about you limit your responses to someone who cares what you think and not clog the board with your personality issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents