PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker:Toward the end in NE, BB got on him in a way he never had before

I don't think you can compare them as to how much they meant to the Pats, as both were a huge part of Patriots' success within their respective eras.

They are both great players so you dont have to defend what you said. I thought WW was out of line with some of his comments and that to me went against the Pats way or my interpretation of it.

And they were both parts of Pats success. Unfortunately for WW SBs are all that matter to me. TB has 3 rings. Maybe others define success different.

Re: Re: Welker:Toward the end in NE, BB got on him in a way he never had before

By saying Troy Brown-like, I mean the "little engine that could" that exceeded expectations and was committed to the Pats as a team while playing in New England. A player, like Tom Brady, that earned everything he was given in the NFL, because he was not the rookie heir apparent and fought for and earned a place in the NFL despite teams passing him over.

You cannot compare Welker and Brown because they played on very different Patriots teams with very different issues. Every athlete has an ego (not sure how you can compare athletes there, absent "get the ball to me" even when it is detrimental to the team) as competitors want to win and want the ball, metaphorically or literally, with the game on the line. While Troy Brown played defense as a WR, Welker, to my knowledge, was never asked to assume that role. Welker was about as versatile as they come, so I am not sure where that basis for comparison arises.

Team players do what they are asked to do by the coach, and do so without complaint. Brown is soft-spoken, Welker is an extrovert and a comedian. There is neither intrinsically wrong with either. I don't know how you compare "off the field."

I don't think you can compare them as to how much they meant to the Pats, as both were a huge part of Patriots' success within their respective eras.

I love Welker. I think for the difference in money it was a big mistake not to pay him.

But we've all read the run in he had with Welker that is supposed to be some of the proof in hindsight that Hernandez thought of himself as a gangsta badass.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/21/within-days-of-draft-hernandez-threatened-welker/

You can also take away from that incident that Wes can be a bit of an ahole.

Im guessing that Belichick doesnt ride someone the way Wes attributes without some cause.. attitude, lack of effort, me-first attitude etc.

I love Welker. I think for the difference in money it was a big mistake not to pay him.

But we've all read the run in he had with Welker that is supposed to be some of the proof in hindsight that Hernandez thought of himself as a gangsta badass.

Within days of draft, Hernandez threatened Welker | ProFootballTalk

You can also take away from that incident that Wes can be a bit of an ahole.

Im guessing that Belichick doesnt ride someone the way Wes attributes without some cause.. attitude, lack of effort, me-first attitude etc.

Watch BB's A Football Life and watch the exchanges with Brady at the beginning of 2009. Light, Bruschi and Brady have all characterized BB as merciless when mistakes are made, and the post-game film sessions are brutal, without regard to how much you have done for the team in the past. Brady can be an a-hole - winners usually are. If you believe even Troy Brown would not get in the face of his teammates after repeated mistakes when chasing titles, then you are probably fooling yourself into believing that there is a 'nice' way of putting a winning team on the field.

By saying Troy Brown-like, I mean the "little engine that could" that exceeded expectations and was committed to the Pats as a team while playing in New England. A player, like Tom Brady, that earned everything he was given in the NFL, because he was not the rookie heir apparent and fought for and earned a place in the NFL despite teams passing him over.

You cannot compare Welker and Brown because they played on very different Patriots teams with very different issues. Every athlete has an ego (not sure how you can compare athletes there, absent "get the ball to me" even when it is detrimental to the team) as competitors want to win and want the ball, metaphorically or literally, with the game on the line. While Troy Brown played defense as a WR, Welker, to my knowledge, was never asked to assume that role. Welker was about as versatile as they come, so I am not sure where that basis for comparison arises.

Team players do what they are asked to do by the coach, and do so without complaint. Brown is soft-spoken, Welker is an extrovert and a comedian. There is neither intrinsically wrong with either. I don't know how you compare "off the field."

Liked both players.
Salient difference is that when big games were on the line, Troy most always came through big. AFCCG vs Pittsburgh and the SBs. Even the 2006 AFCCG vs Colts, on defense.

Watch BB's A Football Life and watch the exchanges with Brady at the beginning of 2009. Light, Bruschi and Brady have all characterized BB as merciless when mistakes are made, and the post-game film sessions are brutal, without regard to how much you have done for the team in the past. Brady can be an a-hole - winners usually are. If you believe even Troy Brown would not get in the face of his teammates after repeated mistakes when chasing titles, then you are probably fooling yourself into believing that there is a 'nice' way of putting a winning team on the field.

Ive watched BB's AFL a couple of times.

I love Belichick but I dont consider myself to be wearing blinders.

I'm not suggesting he isnt an authoritarian/perfectionist/difficult to play for.. especially on humble-pie Mondays.

But when Tom f'ing Brady is eating humble pie right along side you.. you're in good company.

I am suggesting that what Wes is complaining about was not 100% Belichick getting his hubris on by belittling the hard working soldier. Some of the focus Bill was directing his way had something to do with Wes himself.

Daminen Woody on ESPN today was hilarious.

Welker tells "sports illustrated" there was another reason he left.
00:07:44 Bill belichick.
00:07:44 Rarely have any of belichick's players, current or former, criticized the coach publicly.
00:07:51 Welker said he grew tired of belichick criticizing him in front of the team in a way he never had before.
00:08:00 He said it was hard and said this -- so belichick still in his head.
00:08:13 Now damien woody played for belichick for four years.
00:08:16 Here is his take on welker.
00:08:19 >> He sounded so sensitive.
00:08:21 Maybe I should give him a bottle and burp him or something like that.
00:08:25 When you play for the patriots, you understand.
00:08:28 One thing you know about coach belichick, he doesn't discriminate as far as undressing a player, whether it is a third string guy or tom brady.
00:08:37 I was in those meetings for four years under coach belichick.
00:08:40 I remember those wednesday morning games even after victories, where he would undress players one after another.
00:08:49 He put clips together showing what he expected out of players and what he wanted them to do.
00:08:53 I don't know why you would revisit or talk down on a guy who elevated you to another stratosphere as far as your playing career of let's be honest.
00:09:02 Who really knew who wes welker was before he came a patriot?
00:09:06 Coach belichick and tom brady made him into a household name, so I would think there would be more gratitude as far as that is concerned.
00:09:15 the broncos, super bowl contenders.

Daminen Woody on ESPN today was hilarious.

Welker tells "sports illustrated" there was another reason he left.
00:07:44 Bill belichick.
00:07:44 Rarely have any of belichick's players, current or former, criticized the coach publicly.
00:07:51 Welker said he grew tired of belichick criticizing him in front of the team in a way he never had before.
00:08:00 He said it was hard and said this -- so belichick still in his head.
00:08:13 Now damien woody played for belichick for four years.
00:08:16 Here is his take on welker.
00:08:19 >> He sounded so sensitive.
00:08:21 Maybe I should give him a bottle and burp him or something like that.
00:08:25 When you play for the patriots, you understand.
00:08:28 One thing you know about coach belichick, he doesn't discriminate as far as undressing a player, whether it is a third string guy or tom brady.
00:08:37 I was in those meetings for four years under coach belichick.
00:08:40 I remember those wednesday morning games even after victories, where he would undress players one after another.
00:08:49 He put clips together showing what he expected out of players and what he wanted them to do.
00:08:53 I don't know why you would revisit or talk down on a guy who elevated you to another stratosphere as far as your playing career of let's be honest.
00:09:02 Who really knew who wes welker was before he came a patriot?
00:09:06 Coach belichick and tom brady made him into a household name, so I would think there would be more gratitude as far as that is concerned.
00:09:15 the broncos, super bowl contenders.

Most fans of teams in the AFC East and those that watched him kick a field goal in 2005 when Miami's kicker was injured.

Most fans of teams in the AFC East and those that watched him kick a field goal in 2005 when Miami's kicker was injured.

I don't understand what this means buddy?

I miss this guy less every day.

Liked both players.
Salient difference is that when big games were on the line, Troy most always came through big. AFCCG vs Pittsburgh and the SBs. Even the 2006 AFCCG vs Colts, on defense.

I agree that Troy definitely had the big game moments. Given his history, I knew the 2005 playoff game against the Broncos was going bad when he fumbled a punt return. He was usually not the guy to come up on the wrong end of a turnover.

I liked him more when he kept his mouth shut. Move on Wes.

Sounds like BB got sick of him dropping big passes in big games so he probably lost quite a bit of respect for him.

I don't know where Welker looks more like a *****, when he drops another clutch pass or after comments like this.

Maybe he should have went for some support counseling after those brutal beatdowns from the bully Belichick, it probably would've made him feel warmer insider.

Screw Wes, I'm done with this schmuck. The guy's a choke artist and a sensitive nancy, too bad Hernandez didn't beat his ass.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words......

8aegh8.jpg

I cannot remember a single NFL player who two full weeks into training camp with his new team is still talking about the "hardcore fans," the coach and the quarterback of his former team.

Can you? Is there anybody that ever came to the Patriots who went to SI or another national media and said anything remotely resembling this:

"When I'm answering questions from the Denver media, I'm not worried about what the Broncos' people are going to think," Welker said. "I'm worried about what Belichick will think. Isn't that crazy?"

That would be weird.

SI writer Chris Ballard wrote: “These days, Welker is conflicted about his time with the Patriots. He loves Boston’s hardcore fans and has great respect for many of his old teammates. But the vibe changed at the end, and Welker’s relationship with Belichick deteriorated.”

Welker loved the Patriots. I mean really loved them...and us. He mentioned how he'll miss the "hardcore fans." He's going through a painful public breakup.

I think we should give him some space. If anybody has his email, please send him this link:

The Do's and Don'ts of Dealing with Your Ex - eHarmony Advice

I dunno if this has been posted yet.....but the irony in all this. The guy with the blue shirt, stuck in the cart, is actually Danny Amendola's father.

I dunno, I find it flattering from a BB-fan perspective that WW is still worried about what BB will think. It's like if we're playing the donks for the conference championship, and there's a manning pass spiraling down into his hands, all BB has to do is fiddle around with the fingers on his non-clipboard hand and say "that's not the ball you were looking for..."

These-arent-the-droids.png

I dunno if this has been posted yet.....but the irony in all this. The guy with the blue shirt, stuck in the cart, is actually Danny Amendola's father.

Damn thing is fascinating and funny. Must have watched it about 20 times. Why does Amendola's father bail out the way he does? Just bizarre.

It's really too bad the Broncos don't play the Jets this year. If I was a reporter I would ask a foot laden question to see if Wes would go there again now that the "chans" are off.

Why the hell would you bail out? LMAO. Reach over with your hand and hit the break or sit up and use your foot.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back