PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker: "Asante chose money over championships"

Status
Not open for further replies.
"can we wait till he actually wins a championship in Philly, before we continue to bump this thread, and insist that the Pats were fools for letting him go? :rolleyes:"

The Patriots were not fools for letting him go, but they were clearly fools for not recognizing how talented the kid was and not allowing him to get to the walk year of his contract; they should have torn up his old deal and signed him to a new one before he hit the free agent waters.

And as another poster in this thread stated (before he got ripped a new one, but what else is new; if you don't drink the Kool Aid around here and express an opinion, you get ripped), the majority of posters here assumed the Patriots would throw sh!t against the wall and something, anyone would stick and take over his spot and the beat would go on.

Sure, throw JAG out there and he'll be fine, Asante was a product of the system and is not very good, plus he dropped that pic in the Super Bowl (9,000 times that was mentioned since he left too by the way)............

Speaking of Welker, since I can't open my own thread I will put this here.
Well yesterday I bought the Welker Premier Jersey which is this one right here: Wes Welker New England Patriots Navy Premier NFL Jersey

And I am pretty big guy so I bought a XXL I brought it home and me being the idiot that I am didnt try it on in the store and it fit really small. I have the tendency of throwing away receipts with is what happened here too. I cant return it for a bigger size because there is none and I dont really want store credit.

Would anyone like to buy this off me? Using PayPal or something.
It goes for 110, but I am willing to sell it cheaper of course. So send me a PM if interested. It is brand new with tags, still in its bag.
Thanks, let me know.

The NFL is very mercenary in nature. More likely than not, very few "knights" play the game. Welker is a "knight" and we are glad we have him and he plays here. He's the best player on O in my opinion as he gets it done, quietly, professionally and without fuss.

I think he expressed this (judging from the tone) as a sort of disappointment, not a "diss". That's why he prefaced it by stating the business aspect. There's nothing wrong in what he said and if anyone takes offense, that's just plain stupid, in my opinion.

#4? Who is that? I don't remember a #4. Or are you talking about that guy who replaced Vanderchoke in Indy? If that's who you are talking about, well, he's dead to me and no, he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF.
Well then, no wonder you couldn't come up with many ex-Patriots who won Super Bowls, cuz you hate them all so they don't count? Kind of invalidates your whole point.

The NFL is very mercenary in nature. More likely than not, very few "knights" play the game. Welker is a "knight" and we are glad we have him and he plays here. He's the best player on O in my opinion as he gets it done, quietly, professionally and without fuss.

I think he expressed this (judging from the tone) as a sort of disappointment, not a "diss". That's why he prefaced it by stating the business aspect. There's nothing wrong in what he said and if anyone takes offense, that's just plain stupid, in my opinion.

Agreed. But people have to keep a couple of things in mind: the Patriots won two more games than the Eagles in the regular season and it took a practical miracle for the Eagles to make the playoffs. The week preceding their last game of the regular season, the fans and media in Philly were spilling vitriol and calling for Andy Reid's head. At the same time, the Patriots were gelling in the midst of a hot streak and it seemed likely that they would make the playoffs at 11-5 and do some significant damage. A solid playoff run (and more?) and Asante's name would be forgotten as he and his 9 win team watched the Pats with jealousy on their couches.

Some very lucky breaks for the Eagles and some bad ones for the Pats and two wins later, and now people are lauding Andy Reid and his fifth NFC championship appearance, and noting how Asante has put their defense over the top. It could have been a very different result.

"can we wait till he actually wins a championship in Philly, before we continue to bump this thread, and insist that the Pats were fools for letting him go? :rolleyes:"

The Patriots were not fools for letting him go, but they were clearly fools for not recognizing how talented the kid was and not allowing him to get to the walk year of his contract; they should have torn up his old deal and signed him to a new one before he hit the free agent waters.

Please tell me WHICH of the current Patriot players the Patriots have done this with? Better yet. I'll help you. NONE. The Patriots don't rip up a rookie contract. They didn't do it with Brady, Seymour, or Warren. They didn't do it with Branch either. The Pats DID attempt to sign Wilson, Samuel, Givens and Branch to extensions prior to each individual's walk year, but all refused. So, I'm not sure how you can call them fools for that. Unless you really believe that those 4 should have been treated differently than the 2 best players on the team.

And as another poster in this thread stated (before he got ripped a new one, but what else is new; if you don't drink the Kool Aid around here and express an opinion, you get ripped), the majority of posters here assumed the Patriots would throw sh!t against the wall and something, anyone would stick and take over his spot and the beat would go on.

Sure, throw JAG out there and he'll be fine, Asante was a product of the system and is not very good, plus he dropped that pic in the Super Bowl (9,000 times that was mentioned since he left too by the way)............

You seem to forget that other teams didn't game plan for Samuel. They still threw to his side nearly as much as they threw to Hobbs side. Also, not only did Samuel drop the pick, he was burned twice by David Tyree. Once for the TD and then the Immaculate Helmet Catch. Tyree was Samuel's assignment.

Samuel is a mediocre #1 corner in the NFL. He gets burned as much as he makes plays. He has never been a spectacular tackler. He's more of a "throw my shoulder into him and hope he goes down" type of tackler. And, yes, I've been saying the same thing about him for the past 4 years.

Well then, no wonder you couldn't come up with many ex-Patriots who won Super Bowls, cuz you hate them all so they don't count? Kind of invalidates your whole point.

Wow.. Nothing like talking out your arse on that one. I don't hate all ex-Patriots. Graham, Andruzzi, Patten. No hatred there. No hatred for Givens, Dillon, Ted Johnson, Willie McGinest, or Christian Fauria either. And I don't hate all ex-Patriots who have won rings. Certainly don't hate Klecko or Spires. As for that scumbag lying piece of garbage who used to wear #4, well, his actions are what made him worthless. Just like that lying scumbag who went to the Seahawks. He can rot for all I care.

You talking out your arse and exaggerating what is said invalidates your "point." BTW, did you actually have one? Or did you just feel like you needed to move both sets of cheeks for a bit?

Last edited:
Wow-the knee-jerks CONTINUE...

FYI-the Cards receiving corps of Fitzgerald/Boldin/Breasten(sp), etc is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the ones they've faced against the Giants and Vikings in recent weeks. IF Burress hadn't been such an idiot, the Giants would have likely beaten the Eagles by double digits.

I'm not making predictions or anything, but you guys just wait and see how Samuel and the Eagles secondary will match up against them. My guess is that they could have some trouble.

this thread needs to die

Please tell me WHICH of the current Patriot players the Patriots have done this with? Better yet. I'll help you. NONE. The Patriots don't rip up a rookie contract. They didn't do it with Brady, Seymour, or Warren. They didn't do it with Branch either. The Pats DID attempt to sign Wilson, Samuel, Givens and Branch to extensions prior to each individual's walk year, but all refused. So, I'm not sure how you can call them fools for that. Unless you really believe that those 4 should have been treated differently than the 2 best players on the team.

Samuel is a mediocre #1 corner in the NFL. He gets burned as much as he makes plays. He has never been a spectacular tackler. He's more of a "throw my shoulder into him and hope he goes down" type of tackler. And, yes, I've been saying the same thing about him for the past 4 years.

LOL at these comments. Are you serious? They signed both Seymour and Warren to extensions before their contract was up. And you saying Samuel is a mediocre #1 corner says it all.

I'm not making predictions or anything, but you guys just wait and see how Samuel and the Eagles secondary will match up against them. My guess is that they could have some trouble.

I dont have to wait. They already handled them just fine on Thanksgiving.

I dont have to wait. They already handled them just fine on Thanksgiving.

That was b/c the Cards were coming off a short week AND having to fly out to the East Coast.

Yeah-the Eagles were coming off a short week too, and were coming off the Ravens debacle to boot.

However-it was much worse for the Cards b/c of their East Coast woes, plus this is a much different team now that they're running ball better, AND, of course, they're playing in their own backyard now.

BTW-I'm not trying to imply the Cards will beat the Eagles, but just some random observations, that's all.

I guess Welker can keep talking for at least another year.

I guess Welker can keep talking for at least another year.

Welker can talk all he wants because he's absolutely right..........The Pats (without Assante) were a better team than the Eagles. The Pats just weren't luck enough to 1) be in the NFC 2) lost the best player in the game against KC.

A lot of posters on this website thought that Asante could be

replaced by a walk on cornerback with a 1 million dollar contract

and achieve positive results.

Not really. They (I guess we, since I'm included in this group) thought that the money could be better spent extending more important players, like Wilfork and Moss.

Not really. They (I guess we, since I'm included in this group) thought that the money could be better spent extending more important players, like Wilfork and Moss.
Correct! I don't think you'll find to many posters pleased with the patchwork job of the secondary pre-injury curse, however we're better placed this season than we were last season.

Extending Wilfork and Moss were far more important. Great comment.

Last edited:
Wow-Samuel looked BAD today.

And no-don't give us that crap how he was matched up against arguably the league's best receiver. For someone getting paid million$$$$ to be a shutdown corner, he played FAR from it today. His man-man technique just looked HORRIBLE.

BTW-if the Giants had Burress, the last 2 games against them would have been much different.

Very good post.

Most people don't seem to realize that the team is smarter than the average poster.........believe it or not :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes