PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker: "Asante chose money over championships"

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Curt Shilling said "I believe it when I say it but that doesn't mean it is true"... Maybe it was Deion versus Irving, in either case playing your #1 CB against the #2 WR makes a lot of sense. You can protect the #2 CB with a Safety and / or roll coverage towards the #1 WR. You can also pick your spots to play the #1 CB 1:1 versus the #2 WR to blitz or double cover a slot WR / TE.

It all makes sense to me, even if it is not grounded in reality.

However Samuel was almost never matched 1:1 with anyone.

As Curt Shilling said "I believe it when I say it but that doesn't mean it is true"... Maybe it was Deion versus Irving, in either case playing your #1 CB against the #2 WR makes a lot of sense. You can protect the #2 CB with a Safety and / or roll coverage towards the #1 WR. You can also pick your spots to play the #1 CB 1:1 versus the #2 WR to blitz or double cover a slot WR / TE.

It all makes sense to me, even if it is not grounded in reality.

For the most part, Deion was 1:1 with Irvin in our 2 matchups in '94(reg season and NFCCG). And surprisingly, Deion did an excellent job.

I just watched the catch again for the first time since that game and Samuel could have broken it up if he didn't pull up. By the way, not only was Eli in the grasp, there were at least 4 holds that weren't called, the officials were in the bag on that drive.

Im sure you all know this, but I've avoided the subject

Mike Carey, the head official, said immediately after the game that he should have blown the whistle and didn't.

welker was very close to being MVP of one....one crazy play changed that

welker was very close to being MVP of one....one crazy play changed that

Remember the '87 NLCS b/w the Giants and Cardinals when they gave the MVP to the loser(Jeffrey Leonard).

Maybe they should have given the MVP to Welker nonetheless? He had one whale of a game. Every Pats game I saw in '07, opposing defenses just never had answers for.

Mike Carey, the head official, said immediately after the game that he should have blown the whistle and didn't.
No, he never said that. He said he was "close" to blowing the whistle but he NEVER said he "should have" blown the whistle.

Who's "Merriweather?"

Is he related to "Mahoney?"

Good thing we have guys like you to point out every typo and spelling error, otherwise we would not know who the posters are referring to....

Upon reflection -- it remains to be seen whether that's really the choice Asante made ...

Upon reflection -- it remains to be seen whether that's really the choice Asante made ...

"Championships" is plural....we've got at LEAST more than one year to see it play out.

I was thinking the same thing last night, almost bumped this back up but didn't.

Upon reflection, if Brady doesn't get hurt, New England is still undefeated and on its way to crushing a 9 win team in the Super Bowl.

Upon reflection, if Brady doesn't get hurt, New England is still undefeated and on its way to crushing a 9 win team in the Super Bowl.

Agreed - Based on the Playoff Games I've watched, Tom has got to be sitting at the house saying, "You have got to be kidding me!!" over and over again.

Upon reflection, looks like Welker put his foot in his mouth a bit. Still love the guy's mentality though.

And the Eagles' success this year doesn't change the fact that the contract they gave Asante was ridiculous and will probably hurt them down the road.

Asante, another big interception. Eagles win another big playoff game to advance to the NFC Championship game. Looks like Asante was worth the money.

I ain't mad at Welker though. He just said what most people were thinking here at the time Asante jumped ship for the money. If you've got enough time to jump on him for speaking his mind, you might as well berate yourself and every other poster in this forum.

Asante, another big interception. Eagles win another big playoff game to advance to the NFC Championship game. Looks like Asante was worth the money.

I ain't mad at Welker though. He just said what most people were thinking here at the time Asante jumped ship for the money. If you've got enough time to jump on him for speaking his mind, you might as well berate yourself and every other poster in this forum.

I suppose a small dose of humility would not hurt Welker or this site. :)

A lot of posters on this website thought that Asante could be

replaced by a walk on cornerback with a 1 million dollar contract

and achieve positive results.

Alot of posters on this website thought the Patriots would have 14 players on injured reserve, of which the best quarterback, safety, linebacker, running back and number 1 corner draft pick would be part of.

can we wait till he actually wins a championship in Philly, before we continue to bump this thread, and insist that the Pats were fools for letting him go? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back