PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome Adrian Wilson. You're Sorely Needed Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Tavon played some LB (or at least in the box) at illinois.

He also played CB in his final season due to injuries.

Very versatile player and despite 2 rookie mistakes (which is always going to happen) he ranked out as one of the best rookie safeties last season.

I see a lot of big Nickel with McCourty and Wilson x2 on the field at the same time coming.

He also played CB in his final season due to injuries.

Very versatile player and despite 2 rookie mistakes (which is always going to happen) he ranked out as one of the best rookie safeties last season.

I see a lot of big Nickel with McCourty and Wilson x2 on the field at the same time coming.

100% spot-on. No one is saying Wilson is a passing down SS 20yds off the LoC.

Ideally, I'd like to see...

Talib (CB)
Dennard (CB)
DMC (FS)
Arrington (slot DB)
Ras-IR - (dime DB)
Wilson (nickle LB)

Talib (CB)
Dennard (CB)
DMC (FS)
Arrington (slot DB)
Ras-IR - (dime DB)
Wilson (nickle LB)

I enjoy reading your posts, sir!! Just sayin'.....

Talib (CB)
Dennard (CB)
DMC (FS)
Arrington (slot DB)
Ras-IR - (dime DB)
Wilson (nickle LB)

BB has been searching for this big nickle guy for a few years now. Spikes comes out at Adrien Wilson comes in.

BB has been searching for this big nickle guy for a few years now. Spikes comes out at Adrien Wilson comes in.

I'm still not sure about this but, if hes healthy the team needs to consider substituting Mayo for Fletcher as well. Nothing against Mayo but his coverage abilities are less than stellar.

I enjoy reading your posts, sir!! Just sayin'.....

Thanks. Just lookin' at how things would make sense for the team.

I am so sick and tired of seeing this defense get shredded when it matters most.

a 3 year deal for a 34 year old player? Yikes... Hes 34 years old, so I don't really expect him to be playing at a Pro Bowl level or anything.. still nice to get some veteran depth in our secondary though

Would have loved him here since 2007. We might have added a couple more Lombardis. But since there is no time machine I am hoping he still has something in the tank to give us now. The Pats definitely needed a veteran presence in the secondary. Hopefully Wilson can provide that and give us added toughness as well. Gregory was not cutting it as a starter.

Not understanding this move at all. He is poor in coverage and gets a lot of flags thrown at him.

Not understanding this move at all. He is poor in coverage and gets a lot of flags thrown at him.

Sounds like the prototypical Patriots defensive back to me.

Double digit pass deflections as a strong safety is poor in coverage? Last was a down year (and still a good year by any of our Safeties) but Wilson playing next to McCourty is better than Wilson playing next to Rhodes. Very few of us realize it right now, but this is our biggest signing so far.

Double digit pass deflections as a strong safety is poor in coverage? Last was a down year (and still a good year by any of our Safeties) but Wilson playing next to McCourty is better than Wilson playing next to Rhodes. Very few of us realize it right now, but this is our biggest signing so far.

100% agree. I was so pumped by this news.

Read the article on nfl.com about him. "After a fine season in 2011, he was removed from nickel packages ostensibly due to coverage deficiencies last season."

Pass deflections are not a good barometer of coverage ability as he probably was just targeted more. If you are great in coverage you may not have many deflections as you may not have many balls come your way. Whereas if your weak in coverage, you're probably targeted a lot, and have the opportunity for more deflections..

Isn't that why we drafted Tavon?

I'm not trying to derail this conversation into a Tavon Wilson was a horrible pick in round 2 thread, but doesn't the fact that we need to sign an aging veteran at safety say all we need to know about the poor value they got out of that pick?

Tavon is better in deep coverage, whereas Adrian has 2 inches and 20 pounds on him. Physically, they are pretty different. Adrian is pretty much the definition of a strong safety; Tavon is a hybrid safety.

I thought Rhodes played very well last year when I saw him.

Deflections are dummy stats. Just like tackles are.

All it means is that teams had no fear targeting him and went after him instead of avoiding him.

Deflections are dummy stats. Just like tackles are.

All it means is that teams had no fear targeting him and went after him instead of avoiding him.

So?

An incomplete pass is a wasted down, who cares if teams target a specific player if that plan does not work?

Cards fan here. Pats have just become my 2nd favorite team.

I see that most of you are happy but a few are tempering your enthusiasm due to A-Dubs age and coverage deficiencies.

Well first let me say that you are getting a player that takes care of himself like nobody else in the business. He is 34 but is still quick and can lay the wood with the best of them. If he played anywhere other than AZ. his recognition would be off the charts.

He is exactly what the Dr. ordered and you have a HC who will know how to use him properly.

Just an eye opener A-Dub has never been great in coverage EVER! Good TEs will get open against him. His hips are to stiff to keep up on sharp routes. He just finally had a DC last year who had the stones to actually reduce his role. he is/was like a god in AZ. Very deserving of his 4 PB's and 2 time ALL pro!

He is best and always has been when he has been playing closer to the LOS and used to disrupt things in the run game, short passing game IE crossing routes and as a devastating blitzer. Thats not saying he cant have a nose for the ball. He is a 25/25 player for a reason.

Well just wanted to say congrats and I hope you guys enjoy him for the next 2-3 three years as much as we have for the last 12. SUPER good person who wears his emotions on his sleeve! I will be rooting for you guys to get him his ring because lord knows we aren't doing squat!

Cards fan here. Pats have just become my 2nd favorite team.

I see that most of you are happy but a few are tempering your enthusiasm due to A-Dubs age and coverage deficiencies.

Well first let me say that you are getting a player that takes care of himself like nobody else in the business. He is 34 but is still quick and can lay the wood with the best of them. If he played anywhere other than AZ. his recognition would be off the charts.

He is exactly what the Dr. ordered and you have a HC who will know how to use him properly.

Just an eye opener A-Dub has never been great in coverage EVER! Good TEs will get open against him. His hips are to stiff to keep up on sharp routes. He just finally had a DC last year who had the stones to actually reduce his role. he is/was like a god in AZ. Very deserving of his 4 PB's and 2 time ALL pro!

He is best and always has been when he has been playing closer to the LOS and used to disrupt things in the run game, short passing game IE crossing routes and as a devastating blitzer. Thats not saying he cant have a nose for the ball. He is a 25/25 player for a reason.

Well just wanted to say congrats and I hope you guys enjoy him for the next 2-3 three years as much as we have for the last 12. SUPER good person who wears his emotions on his sleeve! I will be rooting for you guys to get him his ring because lord knows we aren't doing squat!

:welcome:

very good first post.....and extremely informative from an outside perspective...which this board sorely needs from time to time

Earlier this offseason, I made a case that this defense ideally needs a physical, punishing safety in the secondary. Looks like Belichick agreed. Wilson does have his deficiencies in coverage, but so does Gregory. Wilson, unlike Gregory, will make opposing slot receivers actually pay for going over the middle from time to time.

Earlier this offseason, I made a case that this defense ideally needs a physical, punishing safety in the secondary. Looks like Belichick agreed. Wilson does have his deficiencies in coverage, but so does Gregory. Wilson, unlike Gregory, will make opposing slot receivers actually pay for going over the middle from time to time.

So did Rodney. Some people are just going to ***** about anyone we sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes