PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We traded for Alex Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez, get over it. Fifth round and later picks are for flyers. You can take a flyer on a college kid or you can take a flyer on a vet. You go into fifth, sixth and seventh round picks knowing about one in four will work out. You take the one and consider the other three to be part of the cost of doin business to get the one.

He may work out, he may not, but either way stop acting like it's the end of the world that "a fifth round pick is GONE now."

Remember how angry people got when the Pats threw in a 7 in the Welker trade? :)

I'm in-between. First off, IMO Welker definitely was a trade from the Patriots' perspective. They decided to trade their 2nd round pick in exchange for signing Welker. The RFA situation and the fussing around with the 7th rounder was just procedural.

Good trades for players:
Corey Dillon
Randy Moss
Wes Welker

Bad trades for players:
Duane Starks
Doug Gabriel
Andre Davis

A wash:
Johnson/Sullivan

TBD:
Derrick Burgess
Greg Lewis
Alex Smith

Overall a mixed bag, like FA signings in general.

You forgot the Pats trading a 4th round pick for Ted Washington.

Deion Branch to the Seahawks for a 1st rounder in 2007.

The Pats trading Greg Robinson-Randall for a 5th round pick in 2003. This pick became Dan Koppen.

The Pats trading Tebuckey Jones for a 3rd and 7th in 2003 and a 4th in 2004.

The Pats trading Terry Glenn for two 4th round picks,..

Pats trading a 6th round pick for Dane Looker.

Its not surprising at all. Randy Moss and Wes Welker (who wasn't really a trade) are the only two successful ones i can think of in a while. Duane Starks? That WR from oakland not named Moss? Jonathan Sullivan?

Most trades don't work out.

Not sure if I agree with this... Especially taking a look at the trades that the Patriots have made.. Granted, the jury is still out on the 3 they made this year, but looking at the previous ones, they've had some pretty good luck..

He may work out, he may not, but either way stop acting like it's the end of the world that "a fifth round pick is GONE now."

No the last time Belicheck had a 5th round pick we got a kid named George Bussey, and the previous time that Belicheck had a 5th rounder, we got a kid named Slater.

Anywho, Brady was a 6th rounder

ok just for the record i was trying to lay the sarcasm on really thick

i don't think it's a big deal that we gave up a 5th rounder for this dude

i just thought it was funny how poorly he seemed to play

The Pats trading Greg Robinson-Randall for a 5th round pick in 2003. This pick became Dan Koppen.

One of those Glenn 4ths became a pro bowl corner with two rings who was franchise tagged his last season here...

Maybe Bill sees something I don't

I don't think thats a maybe...

This kid is never in a million years an outstanding blocking TE, Smith is a pure recieving TE. You'd like some blocking ability but Smith is going to need work on that side of his game. I doubt Bill and his staff were totaly unaware of that fact when we traded for him.

He has ability in the passing game and thats what he's come in for. If he's not good enough for us then he gets cut, with those picks we have I doubt we're going to miss a 5th anyway.

Last edited:

Right, I only went back 5 years because earlier posters said "recently," but Washington and Looker were earlier examples. As for the others, I had specified trades for players, to compare with FA signings. Whether the Pats did well in dumping players for picks is a separate topic.

Yeah but a 5th round pick is GONE now.

The last time Belichick had a 5th round pick we got a kid named Brady, maybe you've heard of him.

He wasn't worth a fifth. Too skinny.

So freaking what. TE was one of the [few] needs this team had and a 5th rounder is not alot to cough up on a player you believe in.

Besides, we're a whopping 2 games into the preseason. Chill

Yeah, BB's track record of unmitigated failure over the past decade is cause for outrage. Perhaps you should forward your resume to the Patriots' front office to see if you can get an in and staunch the bleeding.

Can I forward my resume to the Pats F.O.? O.K. Simon what is your address?
DW Toys

Alex Smith: Salary $1,550,000.00 for '09;

$1,090,000.00 back if cut/dealt. No cap hit.

I hate Watson, I think BB does too, Smith and Baker were an attempt to render Watson no longer needed IMO. If Smith worked out, he might have been able to deal Watson to KC.

I don't trust Thomas - but... he's probably in again, they need Watson in case Baker gets injured, so Smith seems to be out (although I heard he was doing well at H back 2-3 weeks ago) if there are only 3.

I saw him in one play where he was just standing like a lamp post when the safety just blew past him and sacked the QB. I was so mad watching it :mad:

He actually looked at the safety on that play and then looked the other way. It's almost as if he was afraid to block the guy.

Alex Smith: Salary $1,550,000.00 for '09;

$1,090,000.00 back if cut/dealt. No cap hit.

I hate Watson, I think BB does too, Smith and Baker were an attempt to render Watson no longer needed IMO. If Smith worked out, he might have been able to deal Watson to KC.

I don't trust Thomas - but... he's probably in again, they need Watson in case Baker gets injured, so Smith seems to be out (although I heard he was doing well at H back 2-3 weeks ago) if there are only 3.

BB hates Watson? Hmm.. that's why the offense used him as the primary receiver for the 1st 6 games of the 2006 season... Because they hated him... :rolleyes: BB doesn't hate Watson... BB brought players in because the Pats stand to lose Watson and Thomas in the 2010 free agency. Its better to have the continuity of having people already there then it is to start from scratch the way they had to in 2006. Oh.. and Watson was one of their hottest receivers to start 2007 as well. Catching 5 TDs in the 1st 6 weeks.. But, yeah.. BB hates him.. :rolleyes:

Dealing Watson to keep Smith would have been stupid. Smith has never been in the same league as Watson.

Smith hasn't done well in either of the 2 games.. Neither has Lewis or Galloway. Game 3, with the 1st string offense getting a majority of the reps, will be the test. Hopefully Watson is on the field for it.

BB hates Watson? Hmm.. that's why the offense used him as the primary receiver for the 1st 6 games of the 2006 season... Because they hated him... :rolleyes: BB doesn't hate Watson... BB brought players in because the Pats stand to lose Watson and Thomas in the 2010 free agency. Its better to have the continuity of having people already there then it is to start from scratch the way they had to in 2006. Oh.. and Watson was one of their hottest receivers to start 2007 as well. Catching 5 TDs in the 1st 6 weeks.. But, yeah.. BB hates him.. :rolleyes:

I don't think Belichick hates Watson but, much like Maroney, I don't think Belichick has much more patience left. They've given Watson every opportunity--including clearing Daniel Graham out of the way--and for the most part "Oven Mitts" has underwhelmed.

Dealing Watson to keep Smith would have been stupid. Smith has never been in the same league as Watson.

If Smith hadn't looked so incredibly lousy last night, and had caught two touchdowns like Baker in the first preseason game, I think Watson might already be a Chief.

Even though they'd get back $1M of the $1.5M I think they're gonna give Smith one more week. But he's on thin ice. The Wendy's Guy can serve as a short-yardage FB so he's probably safe.

Smith hasn't done well in either of the 2 games.. Neither has Lewis or Galloway. Game 3, with the 1st string offense getting a majority of the reps, will be the test. Hopefully Watson is on the field for it.

Not the argument for this thread, but both Galloway and Lewis at least showed up on screen last night. And Lewis is throwing some nice blocks... and we all know how Belichick loves that. I think both of them are probably safe. After KOC's showing last night, Edelman might be listed as the third QB, giving them more room on the WR depth chart to keep both Aiken and Nunn behind the "main four" (although I really like Slater sometimes, too... just not enough room for everyone here).

After KOC's showing last night, Edelman might be listed as the third QB.

Yeah, I know BB has no patience for poor play in preseason games. Look how he cut Cassel last preseason. That's why he's going to trust a guy who's never taken a snap at QB in an NFL game to be QB3. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know BB has no patience for poor play in preseason games. Look how he cut Cassel last preseason. That's why he's going to trust a guy who's never taken a snap at QB in an NFL game to be QB3. :rolleyes:

Edelman's a WR/KR. Let's get that straight first.

Last edited:
BB probably doesn't hate Watson... but it sure sounds like he loves Baker. Today (SUN) in the afternoon presser, he mentionned Baker as having especially impressed in camp. A shout-out that he didn't NEED to give - a sign of who the #1 TE is, IMO.

There's massive amount of utter crap being spoken in here.

When the Bucs traded Smith to the Pats, the Bucs had to accelerate the amortization of the signing bonus onto their current cap year. The Patriots just assumed the salary for the cap year. If the Pats cut him before the start of Week 1, the Patriots are only carrying on the cap any bonuses that he earned after he joined the team. Those bonuses are either a roster bonus (none) or a small work-out bonus (not sure). So the Pats would get 98% to 100% of his cap space back if they cut him before Week 1.

Long story short, cutting him costs the Patriots nothing new; they already gave up the pick and can not recover it, and there are no cap consequences of the cut either.

it was a smart move - - just hoping maybe the climate here would push this guy to step-up his game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back