PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We traded for Alex Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baker's likely the safest as he's displayed a solid overall game. Watson can be a good pass catcher (he looked very good in '07), and he's shown some improvement as a blocker over the past few years. Thomas is also a decent receiving option, and he's a better blocker than Smith, as well.

They signed Baker to a 5 year deal, so I don't think hes going anywhere even if he was terrible in preseason. He hasn't been, so hes definitely a lock. That being said, I agree, I just don't see Smith bumping anyone off the roster other than maybe Devree.

Yeah but a 5th round pick is GONE now.

The last time Belichick had a 5th round pick we got a kid named Brady, maybe you've heard of him.

Actually, Brady was a sixth lol

As for Smith, I don't know if he'll make the team or not, but he'll NEVER be asked to do that in a game situation. He's essentially a 1-dimensional pass catcher. If he makes the team it will be as such. Obviously missing assignments in pass pro won't help.

PS I'm not even so sure he's responsible for the safety in the protection. That might be the QB's hot read to make.

Actually, Brady was a sixth lol

As for Smith, I don't know if he'll make the team or not, but he'll NEVER be asked to do that in a game situation. He's essentially a 1-dimensional pass catcher. If he makes the team it will be as such. Obviously missing assignments in pass pro won't help.

PS I'm not even so sure he's responsible for the safety in the protection. That might be the QB's hot read to make.

Which is what makes me sure he's #4 at best right now. And I think we're only keeping 3 TE's.

The last time Belichick had a 5th round pick we got a kid named Brady, maybe you've heard of him.
No, only that Brady they drafted in the 6th round - how far back are we talking about your Brady? :p

Okay, Smith doesn't excell in pass blocking, no surprise. He's been decent in run blocking, was he targeted in the passing game last night? Is he getting open? Will broadcasters find a way to some day show the entire game or must we always view it from the narrow window they use when they have their heads stuffed into a camera's backside? Inquiring minds and such like.

It's always so interesting to see these players that a team trades for that make you ask: Did they ever watch him play BEFORE the trade?

NBC lets people watch SNF on the internet with the ability to select different camera angles.

With the proliferation of media PCs, Hulu Desktop, etc, it's only a matter of time before you can do that with any NFL game.

5th or lower... I think it's decent business to take a flyer from time to time on someone who might make a difference.

One problem - I think Smith's contract is kinda hefty... am I wrong ? That would bother me more than the pick, really (if it makes a difference).

it's hefty for a #4 TE. 1.5 mil with a 1 mil cap savings if cut. Outlook not so good

I didn't like the trade from the first moment I read about it, and I like it even less - way less - now. WTF, Bill? Seriously...Alex Smith? For a 5th? Are you effin serious? WTF has this guy ever done in this league that would compel you to throw away a valuable (yes, they're all valuable, dep. on how they are used) 5th-rounder for somebody who plays a position at which we were already relatively deep?

Un-effin-believable.

Last edited:
I didn't like the trade from the first moment I read about it, and I like it even less - way less - now. WTF, Bill? Seriously...Alex Smith? For a 5th? Are you effin serious? WTF has this guy ever done in this league that would compel you to throw away a valuable (yes, they're all valuable, dep. on how they are used) 5th-rounder for him?

Un-effin-believable.

No, 5th round picks aren't valuable. Seriously. The hit rate in the 5th round is no higher than that in the 7th, or with UDFAs. They're camp filler.

No, only that Brady they drafted in the 6th round - how far back are we talking about your Brady? :p

Okay, Smith doesn't excell in pass blocking, no surprise. He's been decent in run blocking, was he targeted in the passing game last night? Is he getting open? Will broadcasters find a way to some day show the entire game or must we always view it from the narrow window they use when they have their heads stuffed into a camera's backside? Inquiring minds and such like.

I don't think he's "decent" in run blocking. He was downright "bad" against the Eagles and improved to "below average" in game 2. As for his receiving skills, he barely even goes out. Not sure what's up with that. The only 2 things enhancing Smith's chances right now are (1) Thomas' very poor showing last year, and (2) The possibility of keeping 4 TEs.

Watson, by the way, is a very underrated blocker. Much better than Alex Smith.

Last edited:
I didn't like the trade from the first moment I read about it, and I like it even less - way less - now. WTF, Bill? Seriously...Alex Smith? For a 5th? Are you effin serious? WTF has this guy ever done in this league that would compel you to throw away a valuable (yes, they're all valuable, dep. on how they are used) 5th-rounder for him?

Un-effin-believable.

Yeah, BB's track record of unmitigated failure over the past decade is cause for outrage. Perhaps you should forward your resume to the Patriots' front office to see if you can get an in and staunch the bleeding.

Which is what makes me sure he's #4 at best right now. And I think we're only keeping 3 TE's.

Oh I agree he's #4 on the depth chart. In fact, I don't even see him as competing against the other TE's as much as BJGE as the #5 RB, Alexander as the extra LB, etc.

I don't think he's "decent" in run blocking. He was downright "bad" against the Eagles and improved to "below average" in game 2. As for his receiving skills, he barely even goes out. Not sure what's up with that. The only 2 things enhancing Smith's chances right now are (1) Thomas' very poor showing last year, and (2) The possibility of keeping 4 TEs.

Watson, by the way, is a very underrated blocker. Much better than Alex Smith.
I've broken down one series so far, he got the job done there, and I chose not to characterize his blocking against the Eagles as bad since I felt he got the job done in that game. Perhaps I'll think differently when I get further into the game.

Oh I agree he's #4 on the depth chart. In fact, I don't even see him as competing against the other TE's as much as BJGE as the #5 RB, Alexander as the extra LB, etc.

Christopher Price, who is co-hosting the Dale and Holley show this a.m., suggested Ben Watson could be the surprise cut coming out of TC.

5th or lower... I think it's decent business to take a flyer from time to time on someone who might make a difference.

One problem - I think Smith's contract is kinda hefty... am I wrong ? That would bother me more than the pick, really (if it makes a difference).

Alex Smith's contract is all salary because he was traded to the Pats. Its 1.55 million. Cutting him gives the Pats more wiggle room for injuries and such.

Christopher Price, who is co-hosting the Dale and Holley show this a.m., suggested Ben Watson could be the surprise cut coming out of TC.

I really really doubt it at this point. Hes a much better player than Smith, plus it would cost more to cut him than to cut Smith.

The local fans and media personalities just seem to have some sort of issue with Watson, which I think stems from him not being able to carry the load when he was the only receiving threat in 2006. Hes a good TE. Not a great one, but a good one.

Just a follow up to my initial post on the subject. I believe NE already knows what he can do as a pass catcher, and they're trying to work on his blocking. Giving him plenty of in game chances to work on his blocking this preseason is the best way to potentially improve his game. That being said, I can't see him improving rapidly enough to bounce the other TE's from the roster, as NE expects their TE's to be at least decent at pass pro, and he hasn't shown well in that area to date.

I'm also watching to see if they start showcasing his receiving ability during the first half in one of these next two games. If that happens, NE's likely trying to recoup some value for him via trade, instead of simply cutting him outright. I don't think they would get much return at this point though.

Its not surprising at all. Randy Moss and Wes Welker (who wasn't really a trade) are the only two successful ones i can think of in a while. Duane Starks? That WR from oakland not named Moss? Jonathan Sullivan?

Most trades don't work out.

What about Drew Bledsoe for what eventually turned out to be Ty Warren?

Jeez, get over it. Fifth round and later picks are for flyers. You can take a flyer on a college kid or you can take a flyer on a vet. You go into fifth, sixth and seventh round picks knowing about one in four will work out. You take the one and consider the other three to be part of the cost of doin business to get the one.

He may work out, he may not, but either way stop acting like it's the end of the world that "a fifth round pick is GONE now."

No the last time Belicheck had a 5th round pick we got a kid named George Bussey, and the previous time that Belicheck had a 5th rounder, we got a kid named Slater.

Anywho, Brady was a 6th rounder, so please before you engage in hyperbole, either look at the most relevant recent facts, or acknowledge that the bottom end of the draft is a crap shoot where there is a very low probability but real chance of getting a HOF, a low but not absurdly so probability of getting a Plus Player (A. Thomas for instance), a decent chance of getting a competent complementary player (Le Kevin Smith for instance), and a very good chance of getting at best a JAG or at worst a 2nd year camp cut.

Most late picks never do more in the NFL than play special teams or play at a slightly above replacement level for a couple of years. That is the trimmed ceiling for most 5th, 6th and 7th rounders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back