Welcome to PatsFans.com

We traded for Alex Smith?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by tobias funke, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobias funke

tobias funke Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

LOL ten chars
  2. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

yeah a fifth rd pick! Hopefully if they cut him, Tampa doesn't get the pick (there were some "conditions" on the pick.
  3. parthasas

parthasas Patriots Nation PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I saw him in one play where he was just standing like a lamp post when the safety just blew past him and sacked the QB. I was so mad watching it :mad:
  4. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0

I guess a 5th rounder in the draft doesn't have overwhelming chances of making the team. After what we've seen from Smith, he may be on the outside looking in for a roster spot.
  5. farn

farn Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

5th or lower... I think it's decent business to take a flyer from time to time on someone who might make a difference.

One problem - I think Smith's contract is kinda hefty... am I wrong ? That would bother me more than the pick, really (if it makes a difference).
  6. tobias funke

tobias funke Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He's due to earn $1.5 million this year. Way too much for someone with such poor awareness.

Maybe Bill sees something I don't and eventually he can become a contributor but he is seriously embarassing to watch right now, especially for someone who has been in the league for 4 years.
  7. fester

fester Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

When the Bucs traded Smith to the Pats, the Bucs had to accelerate the amortization of the signing bonus onto their current cap year. The Patriots just assumed the salary for the cap year. If the Pats cut him before the start of Week 1, the Patriots are only carrying on the cap any bonuses that he earned after he joined the team. Those bonuses are either a roster bonus (none) or a small work-out bonus (not sure). So the Pats would get 98% to 100% of his cap space back if they cut him before Week 1.

Long story short, cutting him costs the Patriots nothing new; they already gave up the pick and can not recover it, and there are no cap consequences of the cut either.
  8. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

like it or not, some trades just dont pan out. It will be ok folks
  9. tobias funke

tobias funke Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Uh we got Randy for a 4th. Belichick is obviously the best trader in the NFL.

That's why it's so surprising that he whiffed on this one nearly as badly as Alex Smith did last night.
  10. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Its not surprising at all. Randy Moss and Wes Welker (who wasn't really a trade) are the only two successful ones i can think of in a while. Duane Starks? That WR from oakland not named Moss? Jonathan Sullivan?

Most trades don't work out.
  11. farn

farn Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If, as stated earlier, the money is negligeable - it's all good. They can keep DeVree over him if they want... In fact, they can keep DeVree, Thomas, and Baker for all I care. As long as they aren't hampered by contracts.
  12. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Clock Killin' Dillion was an outstanding trade.
  13. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 6 / -0

I'm in-between. First off, IMO Welker definitely was a trade from the Patriots' perspective. They decided to trade their 2nd round pick in exchange for signing Welker. The RFA situation and the fussing around with the 7th rounder was just procedural.

Good trades for players:
    Corey Dillon
    Randy Moss
    Wes Welker

Bad trades for players:
    Duane Starks
    Doug Gabriel
    Andre Davis

A wash:
    Johnson/Sullivan

TBD:
    Derrick Burgess
    Greg Lewis
    Alex Smith

Overall a mixed bag, like FA signings in general.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  14. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Doesn't change the fact that some don't work out...Doug Gabriel, Duane Starks, Andre Davis all for 5th rounders and all didn't really work out for them.
  15. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Starks was traded for a 3rd.
  16. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

misread...3rd plus a 5th for him and a 5th in 2005.
  17. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

It's worth noting that of all the tight ends in training camp, Smith has the lowest cap hit (zero) and the highest cap savings ($1.09 million) if he is cut.
  18. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Going in NE had to know Alex Smith was primarily a pass catching TE, and hasn't at all excelled at Pass Pro in the past. This is most likely why they've been working on that aspect of his game a lot during camp. However, after watching these first two preseason games, I have to say he's not showing any signs of improvement. Maybe something will click over these next few weeks, but at this point I can't see him making the final 53. I say this as I can't see him bumping Baker, Watson, or Thomas. Baker's likely the safest as he's displayed a solid overall game. Watson can be a good pass catcher (he looked very good in '07), and he's shown some improvement as a blocker over the past few years. Thomas is also a decent receiving option, and he's a better blocker than Smith, as well. So, if they carry three TE's, Smith seems unlikely. Also, if they carry four TE's I'd expect that fourth TE to do a lot more blocking, than pass catching, which brings Devree into the discussion. Cutting Smith would also knock just over $1M off NE's cap.
  19. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 6 / -0

Now there's a nifty surprise ending!

Smith's been off my 53 for a while, on this reasoning...

- Baker is 1A
    - Thomas is versatile HB/FB option
    - Between Watson and Smith, Watson knows the offense better and is a smidgen cheaper

So far, nothing in Smith's performance has swayed my opinion. If he had shown up better so far I'd think the Pats could easily trade their 4th TE to one of the several teams (Cincy, Philly, NO) that have been hit with TE injuries in camp.
  20. tobias funke

tobias funke Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah but a 5th round pick is GONE now.

The last time Belichick had a 5th round pick we got a kid named Brady, maybe you've heard of him.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.