PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We should bring in someone who can draft WR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that people here can't handle simple admissions:

BB has made a lot of really bad personnel moves since the end of 2008

BB had down drafts in 2006-2008, in terms of players actually drafted, and 2009 has turned out to be considerably less than was initially thought

BB has been terrible in round 3 post-2005

BB has not been as good with getting high quality talent in free agency since the 2006 CBA kicked in

None of the above should be even remotely controversial, yet there is a group here that can't even admit to things as obvious as those.

Also, the notion that "you never really know..." is a cop out. It applies to every player acquisition.

Finally, the Gholston thing has become one of the most abused notions going. Gholston was not on everyone's top ten and many, if not most, people here were down on the guy.
I will admit to some of your points. However I choose to look at the big picture instead of focusing on the narrow small picture.

If that makes me a blind homer in your view then so be it. Enjoy yourself on the dark side.

There's nothing myopic about it. Maybin doesn't fit your argument. When a team misuses a player, that's not on the player, and that's not down to "chance", which was your argument. Furthermore, even if we were to apply Maybin to your argument and ignore what he's done in New York, that just means you're saying that a bad team screwed up a high draft pick. That's right up there with water being wet and the sun being hot.

So, now Maybin was misused by the Bills?? *ROFLMAO*

And you were the one who tried to say that Maybin fit the scenario when, in fact, he doesn't. You just aren't willing to admit it.

I understand that people here can't handle simple admissions:

BB has made a lot of really bad personnel moves since the end of 2008 So has every other Gm in the league.

BB had down drafts in 2006-2008, in terms of players actually drafted, and 2009 has turned out to be considerably less than was initially thought. Not sure how you can fault BB for 2007 when it was, by far, the worst NFL Draft (from a talent persepective) in 30 years. Take a look at all the busts from that year and you'll understand why BB tried to trade out of that draft as much as possible.

BB has been terrible in round 3 post-2005

BB has not been as good with getting high quality talent in free agency since the 2006 CBA kicked in Carter, Anderson, Welker. But, overall, there hasn't been a lot of "high quality talent" that hasn't been over-priced as well.. Something that people like yourself over-look.

None of the above should be even remotely controversial, yet there is a group here that can't even admit to things as obvious as those. The problem is that there are plenty of people who admit to it, but don't blow it out of proportion like you insist on doing.

Also, the notion that "you never really know..." is a cop out. It applies to every player acquisition.

Finally, the Gholston thing has become one of the most abused notions going. Gholston was not on everyone's top ten and many, if not most, people here were down on the guy.

It doesn't matter that most people here were down on Gholston. The fact is that he was a bust. Just like Maybin was in Buffalo. And what Maybin's doing in NY is irrelevant to the conversation since it was only in reference to how players did for their original teams..

you guys are missing the point

obviously we are a great team, and have been for a long time, and BB plays a huge part in that success

I am NOT saying get rid of BB, im saying go and find him some ppl that when combined would INCREASE the success of our WR draft picks....

simply doing that does NOT have to include a negative, it CAN only bring positive results

if it works for the WR position, then YES, do it for more positions

doing this will not mean that all of a sudden we have to suck, we can be good in both drafting WR's, AND CONTINUE to exhibit our success as a team...it does NOT HAVE BE EITHER OR, why do some of you not understand this?

also, simply because every other team in the league SUCKS at drafting, does not mean we cannot try to rEVERSE this trend....just because everyone else sucks, does not mean we have to lay down and NOT TRY AND BE MUCH BETTER THAN THE LEAGUE AVERAGE

I will admit to some of your points. However I choose to look at the big picture instead of focusing on the narrow small picture.

If that makes me a blind homer in your view then so be it. Enjoy yourself on the dark side.

Since when is the team's success in attempting to win a Super Bowl a "narrow small picture"?

What you fail to understand is that this is a league wide phenomenon, the draft is inexact science.. there are hits and there are misses. The other issue is we always have a lot of draft picks, which increases the odds for misses and successes.

Consider all of the first round draft picks that have been busts; Brady Quinn, Pacman Jones, Aaron Maybin, Vernon Gholston all have been let go by their original teams..

Whether we were down on Gholston or not, the Jets drafted him in the first round... that is what the issue is, and they pooped the bed on that choice.

You have to look at each of the other 31 teams, all of which have had misses, this is not an issue exclusive to the Patriots..

At first glance it seems as though we have actually done better since Pioli left..

Thanks for demonstrating my point about the over-the-top homers for me.

Last edited:
If they don't trade up for Floyd or Blackmon next draft I'm going to kill somebody.

I dunno about this. Graham was a good all around tight end for us and left for a big contract. Watson did not live up to his hype but also played out his rookie contract for us, was a starter for most of that time and got a nice deal elsewhere. LB I can't really remember any significant picks being used on one before Mayo.

I agree, to an extent. Watson and Graham may not have lived up to the overinflated expectations that came from being first round picks, but they've both been quality tight ends. There was a very vocal crowd on this board who insisted the Belichick was lousy at drafting tight ends, though, right up until Gronk and Hernandez started putting up serious stats.

I agree, to an extent. Watson and Graham may not have lived up to the overinflated expectations that came from being first round picks, but they've both been quality tight ends.
Daniel Graham was a fine tight end. Unfortunately he was too busy babysitting for right tackles Klemm, Ashworth, Gorin far too often in pass protection.

Nobody is perfect, even BB, and one of his main weaknesses as an GM is drafting wr's...
As this stage in Brady's career, unrestricted free agency is a better recourse.

Watching some of the other late round drafted WR play makes me sick to my stomach as to why the Pats haven't at least landed one freaking guy over the last few years

The death of this team is going to happen....and the WR's on this team are going to be the reason.

Any DC worth a dam is going to play bump and run....and jam our outside guys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back