Welcome to PatsFans.com

We should bring in someone who can draft WR's

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ALP, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Nobody is perfect, even BB, and one of his main weaknesses as an GM is drafting wr's...

we've had TWO good WR selections since 2002, and that is SAD
    dont believe me?:
    Examining draft history at receiver - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

if nobody on the patriots can evaluate a college WR, then bring in someone who can, its really not that difficult

im starting to get annoyed at missing on all of these WR's, its proving to be a really BIG drawback for this team, and we CANNOT keep relying on FA for WR's
  2. Bertil

Bertil Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The jury is still out on how well the Floyd Reese influenced drafts will pan out. I like the results so far, but we're only two years in. Safety and wide receiver will no doubt be addressed in the 2012 draft. Of course, I could be sorely mistaken.
  3. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    The Giants seem to be churning out WR. Steve smith Pre injury, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Victor Cruz and they have a couple of other guys who are up and coming. It seems like the Pats look for gold in the second and third and come up short more times than not but most teams do. WR has a low success rate in the first and it only gets lower. Get em early.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  4. andrewgarrr

andrewgarrr Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Most teams fail at drafting WRs.

Correction: most teams' draft picks fail.
  5. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Honestly wish we wouldn't even draft RB/WR/DB anymore. Our best successes have always come through FA/trades at those positions.

LB/OL/DL/TE we haven't been perfect but the success rate is probably alot higher compared to most teams.
  6. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Floyd Reese influence on the draft hasn't been felt yet because he doesn't have any... He's the contract negotiator. Caserio is the director of player personnel. He is responsible for the college and pro scounting departments... The guy he replaced, Pioli, is the GM in KC these days... And the guy who used to handle college scouting under him is the GM in Atlanta these days. We didn't successfully draft WR's on their watch either beyond in 2002...

Just because a WR makes it somewhere else isn't remotely indicative of whether or not he will make it here. Branch is the inverse of that equation...

It's beyond difficult to scout for skill position players for this offense because no college plays one that remotely resembles it...
  7. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

OLB is just as bad,if not worse in Belichick's draft decision making

WR and OLB are areas that,if we had taken the right players,might have meant at least 1 or 2 more SB wins by now.

You simply can't rely on aged FAs in these areas ever year.
  8. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Knee-jerk reaction much?
  9. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

must have missed the link

if 9 years is knee-jerk, I'd love to see what patience is for you
  10. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think the whole draft process employed by BB may have to be overhauled. Except for the Mankins pick in 2005, Mayo pick in 2008, Mccourty, Gronkowski and Hernandez picks in 2010, and maybe the Solder pick this year, the drafting has been anywhere from disappointing to brutal.

It's obvious that maybe the quantity over quality draft process that BB uses obviously is not successful.
  11. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

kumbaya excuse-making at its best

there is more than one position that this staff is incapable of developing out of the college ranks. but then again, there may be more, because there are few player who show up raw and get groomed into something......either they show up ready to go out of college, or they fester on the bench for a few years and get cut.
  12. NEPats1

NEPats1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Can someone explain what makes our offensive so complex compared to the rest?
  13. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

the same thing that makes the defense so complex.....no wait, the defense is not complex anymore
  14. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 2 / -1

My Jersey:

The Patriots are 8-3....soon to be 9-3

this whole dyamed board is consumed with how bad the Patriots suck at everything.....

this site needs a whiner page featuring sobbing, crying threads only...where all you pathological, nonstop cry babies can vent ad nauseum until your blood vessels in your temples burst...
  15. Sciz

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It's as if there's an instant reaction that whenever a high draft pick is released, Belichick suddenly sucks at drafting that position, sucks at drafting in general, or should stop trading down. That pretty much defines knee jerk reactions.
  16. Sciz

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Route adjustments. The WR has to be able to read the defense and adjust accordingly, all while running the route. For example, an easy example of this is Welker's in/out option. He runs 5 yards. He reads whether the CB is more to his outside or inside, and he cuts the other direction. Or Branch reads whether the defense is in cover 2 or cover 4, and runs a comeback against cover 4 but a fade against cover 2. A lot of guys can't think and run at the same time like that.
  17. strngplyr

strngplyr Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Quoting this in the hopes that people will read it again.
  18. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

14-2 last year.....if you're into that sort of thing
  19. Joker

Ratings:
    +53 / 2 / -1

My Jersey:

Arizona 5-11 last season...but at least they had Larry Fitzgerald...if you're into that sort of thing
  20. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

LMAO.....good comparison....you do realize that the cards have been to an SB more recently than the pats?
  21. Joker

Ratings:
    +53 / 2 / -1

My Jersey:

I do realize that that proves your attention span is that of a mayfly...

Let's just look at the last four years!!!!! THAT is the only parameter that can be used !!! All else doesn't count!!! Pats not in Super Bowl since 2007!!REAL REAL BAD!!! BECAUSE THEY BLEW A 3RD ROUND PICK!!!!
  22. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

umm, did anyone in this thread say BB sucked, or that the team does? no? good, than if you want to discuss this, gtfo, and make ur own thread

this one has NOTHING to do with records, or other teams

this FO simply cant judge WR talent, the facts are there, highlighting that fact and that it needs correcting is a valid point

the fact that Price recently got cut only adds to the list of WR's we have drafted that have become absolutely nothing in this league, this same thread could have been made yesterday, with relatively equal weight

however, i wonder if now BB may actually think about changing his drafting philosophy....since there is a rookie scale, maybe bb wont mind drafting and trying out some of the more high risk/high reward players

i love getting great bargains, but not getting bargain trash
  23. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    I fail to comprehend where winning a Superbowl is the same as going to a Superbowl too.
  24. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    We're just awful, especially our offense. When are we going to finally spend a high pick at quarterback. oh, I mean receiver. All our receivers suck, that's why our offense is so bad. Running backs too.
  25. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    It is for 30 teams every year...something we didn't do, again.
  26. VI PATS

VI PATS Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Same FO that got Welker and Branch right ? Draft isn't only way to build team. I think that overall winning % last 11 years proves that.
  27. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

Overall win % in the last 11 years actually supports the notions that

a.) it's mostly about the QB

b.) for most teams, it's also mostly about the draft, with only supplementing through other avenues.

and

c.) every once in a while you get a fluke team like the Ravens and Bucs
  28. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    A couple of high-risk, high-reward third rounders don't pan out, and suddenly that means the Pats can't draft WRs? What WRs are asked to do in college is miles apart from what the Patriots ask them to do, so of course it's going to be difficult to project them into this offense.

It sucked that Chad Jackson worked out, and I still don't really understand what happened there, but sometimes picks just don't pan out. Price, though, was a project who had played his college career in a high-school offense, which made it difficult to project his abilities to the pros. He could have been a diamond in the rough, or he could have been nothing. Tate, similarly, was coming off of a major injury. Sometimes those picks work out (Gronk), sometimes they don't. It is what it is.

What I really don't get, though, is people making sweeping declarations about the team's ability to draft an entire position based on a sample size of three or four mid-round failures. Up until Gronk and Hernandez, everyone said they couldn't draft tight ends. Before that, people were saying that they couldn't draft linebackers (some still say this) right up until Mayo and Spikes came through. Sometime, probably soon, the Pats are going to draft another David Givens, and suddenly most will forget about all of this. Name a position, and I'll name players who were drafted and didn't make it here. It's not because the Pats are incapable of drafting these positions; that's just how it goes.

To the OP's credit, ALP is an insightful poster who I enjoy reading, definitely not trying to call him out individually or anything. This was one of the better-expressed takes on this line of reasoning that I've seen (and we see a lot of them), but I still just fundamentally disagree with it.
  29. VI PATS

VI PATS Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

We've had pretty good receiving corps since 2007, wether they were acquired through draft or other means. As for draft, I prefer having Gronk and Hernandez over a WR.
  30. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

It is what it is. While I'm not going down the "OMG! He shouldn't be allowed to draft WRs!" road, there's no question that he's gone "0 fer" when it comes to drafting WRs post-2002.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.