PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We should bring in someone who can draft WR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm appalled that at this stage of the game, so many can't admit that BB's drafting issues have been a problem for the team and choose instead to hide behind completely irrelevant arguments.

So you respond with an irrelevant argument???

Compared to what??? If you take a long view away from Foxboro just about every team has hits and misses, one thing we have a lot of are draft picks.. so we miss more..

The reality is every team has draft issues, it is a high stakes game of chance.. Vernon Gholston and Aaron Maybin come to mind immediately.

So you respond with an irrelevant argument???

Compared to what??? If you take a long view away from Foxboro just about every team has hits and misses, one thing we have a lot of are draft picks.. so we miss more..

The reality is every team has draft issues, it is a high stakes game of chance.. Vernon Gholston and Aaron Maybin come to mind immediately.

Maybin? Maybin's been getting it done as a pass rusher in New York, racking up 5 sacks in 8 games. And my response was directly relevant to your post, because it's people such as yourself who can't seem to admit that BB has screwed the pooch too much with the high picks on recent draft days, and just go knee-jerk with the defense of seemingly everything BB has ever done.

All the 7th round surprises in the world aren't going to make his 3rd round picks any better.

Last edited:
They just need all potential targets to spend a day with Brady, and then have him pick out his favorites since he's so damn picky it seems.

With all those "botched" draft picks and "botched" FA signings, how do the Patriots remain to be one of the top teams in the NFL year after year?

Some will respond: Well, if they didn't make all these mistakes on players and were perfect in every draft pick and FA signing they would win the SB every year. I can't argue with that.

Show me a team who is perfect with draft picks and FA signings.

Taylor Price, 3rd round 2010
Brandon Tate, 3rd round 2009
Matt Slater, 5th round 2008

dose are the WR's picked in the last 5 Drafts i did not add Edelman because he was Drafted as a QB thats 3 WR's out of 49 picks the last five Drafts i cant call that a fail at Drafting WR's they just ant Drafting them at all,

if they use a #1 on a WR im sure he will have the talent to get on the field and make a impact, so far they have Drafted ST players at WR and us fans want them to play like Calvin Johnson it's just not going to happen, when they Draft a WR with first round talent and if he still cant get on the field or make a impact then i will say they suck at Drafting WR's

You should have included Edelman because he was drafted to play WR, not QB..

Maybin? Maybin's been getting it done as a pass rusher in New York, racking up 5 sacks in 8 games. And my response was directly relevant to your post, because it's people such as yourself who can't seem to admit that BB has screwed the pooch too much with the high picks on recent draft days, and just go knee-jerk with the defense of seemingly everything BB has ever done.

All the 7th round surprises in the world aren't going to make his 3rd round picks any better.
Maybin wasn't worth a top 10 pick, but if you want to argue that, go ahead.

Belichick has done a good job drafting players, with the exception of 2006-2008. With the benefit of hindsight, every GM in the league can be made to look stupid.

With all those "botched" draft picks and "botched" FA signings, how do the Patriots remain to be one of the top teams in the NFL year after year?

Tom Brady and the coaching staff.

Except that Maybin was drafted by the BILLS, not the Jets.. So that makes him irrelevant..he falls into the "Bust" category for his original team..

Now, as for your idiotic claim that BB has "screwed the pooch too much with the high draft picks on recent draft days" only people like yourself who are myopic think that.

Maybin wasn't worth a top 10 pick, but if you want to argue that, go ahead.

Belichick has done a good job drafting players, with the exception of 2006-2008. With the benefit of hindsight, every GM in the league can be made to look stupid.

I didn't claim Maybin was worth anything. I responded to a post that put Maybin in with Gholston. Maybin's been getting the job done as a pass rusher in New York.

So Gronk, Welker, Vince, the OL , and a host of others have nothing to do with it?

2006 should have answered this question for all time.

Tom Brady and the coaching staff.

Making statements like this makes me think of the Looney Tunes episode where Bugs Bunny takes on an opposing baseball team by himself.

I have news for you, Brady is not superman. Brady doesn't play defense or special teams and has no affect on them.

As for the coaching staff, you mean the one that has only had 4 of the same coaches on it for the past 8 years (Belichick, Johnson, Scarnecchia, Fears).

BTW, one only has to look back to 2008 to see that Tom Brady isn't the only reason why this team has continued to be successful..

I didn't claim Maybin was worth anything. I responded to a post that put Maybin in with Gholston. Maybin's been getting the job done as a pass rusher in New York.

But the fact of the matter is that he was a "BUST" for Buffalo so is irrelevant to the conversation...

You do understand that the difference in players drafted in the 3rd round vs. those drafted in the 7th or UDFA's is very minor. It's mostly in the head and heart not in the physical capabilities. Some guys rise and fall during the draft process for many reasons.

You never really know what you have until you get the player into camp. Vernon Gholston was on everyones board as a top 10 player or higher. How did that work out?

But you fail to mention that the post had to do with draft busts by other teams.. that is where the myopia sets in.

But you fail to mention that the post had to do with draft busts by other teams.. that is where the myopia sets in.

There's nothing myopic about it. Maybin doesn't fit your argument. When a team misuses a player, that's not on the player, and that's not down to "chance", which was your argument. Furthermore, even if we were to apply Maybin to your argument and ignore what he's done in New York, that just means you're saying that a bad team screwed up a high draft pick. That's right up there with water being wet and the sun being hot.

You do understand that the difference in players drafted in the 3rd round vs. those drafted in the 7th or UDFA's is very minor. It's mostly in the head and heart not in the physical capabilities. Some guys rise and fall during the draft process for many reasons.

You never really know what you have until you get the player into camp. Vernon Gholston was on everyones board as a top 10 player or higher. How did that work out?

I understand that people here can't handle simple admissions:

BB has made a lot of really bad personnel moves since the end of 2008

BB had down drafts in 2006-2008, in terms of players actually drafted, and 2009 has turned out to be considerably less than was initially thought

BB has been terrible in round 3 post-2005

BB has not been as good with getting high quality talent in free agency since the 2006 CBA kicked in

None of the above should be even remotely controversial, yet there is a group here that can't even admit to things as obvious as those.

Also, the notion that "you never really know..." is a cop out. It applies to every player acquisition.

Finally, the Gholston thing has become one of the most abused notions going. Gholston was not on everyone's top ten and many, if not most, people here were down on the guy.

I have news for you, Brady is not superman. Brady doesn't play defense or special teams and has no affect on them.

Lol you kidding right?

Of course affect them. I would like to see our defense with Sanchez in there. Having to make a stop everydrive because our offense couldnt score.

Of course the defense is affected by the offense, and viceversa . Thats football.

I understand that people here can't handle simple admissions:

BB has made a lot of really bad personnel moves since the end of 2008

BB had down drafts in 2006-2008, in terms of players actually drafted, and 2009 has turned out to be considerably less than was initially thought

BB has been terrible in round 3 post-2005

BB has not been as good with getting high quality talent in free agency since the 2006 CBA kicked in

None of the above should be even remotely controversial, yet there is a group here that can't even admit to things as obvious as those.

Also, the notion that "you never really know..." is a cop out. It applies to every player acquisition.

Finally, the Gholston thing has become one of the most abused notions going. Gholston was not on everyone's top ten and many, if not most, people here were down on the guy.

What you fail to understand is that this is a league wide phenomenon, the draft is inexact science.. there are hits and there are misses. The other issue is we always have a lot of draft picks, which increases the odds for misses and successes.

Consider all of the first round draft picks that have been busts; Brady Quinn, Pacman Jones, Aaron Maybin, Vernon Gholston all have been let go by their original teams..

Whether we were down on Gholston or not, the Jets drafted him in the first round... that is what the issue is, and they pooped the bed on that choice.

You have to look at each of the other 31 teams, all of which have had misses, this is not an issue exclusive to the Patriots..

At first glance it seems as though we have actually done better since Pioli left..

Maybin? Maybin's been getting it done as a pass rusher in New York, racking up 5 sacks in 8 games. And my response was directly relevant to your post, because it's people such as yourself who can't seem to admit that BB has screwed the pooch too much with the high picks on recent draft days, and just go knee-jerk with the defense of seemingly everything BB has ever done. All the 7th round surprises in the world aren't going to make his 3rd round picks any better.

I think you must have meant to say as a situational passrusher...which is all he is and he's helped the JETS to the tune of 4-4 since the JETS signed him to a minimum deal. That's still a first round bust, let alone for a kid drafted 11th... He's a liability against the run.

Your problem is you can't allow reasonable people to give credit in perspective, and you persist in twisting your opinion that Bill is a screw up and the rational opinion that he remains in context the best in the business into a debate of (in your anything but humble opinion) obvious enlightenment vs. blind homerism... That's why you've been pegged as a dyed in the wool contrarian. You'd think Bill stole your girlfriend or ran over your puppy as opposed to tiring of coddling players you defended to a fault. And while all the 7th round surprises in the world will not make his 3rd round picks any better, that's not what he's drafting towards. The goal is to make draft position irrelevant and to build a roster and a team that can consistently win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back