PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We had better re-sign OT Sebastian Vollmer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run DMC

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
OT's are dropping like flies and we've already lost Donald Thomas. I don't see Vollmer slipping through the cracks. He's too important to us. #1 ranked OL on most FA lists.

Is it crazy for me to think Vollmer is easily replaceable? Do I trust Dante too much?

Possibly.

Bears, Colts, and probably Rams (since Long is prolly going there) are out of the market for an OT while they were three of the biggest threats to steal Vollmer. So far the wait and see approach has worked w/ the big free agents and they should be most encouraged by what happened at OT today. Vollmer is still there and some of his best possible suiters aren't.

Vollmer spoiled fans for a few years. Teams do not normally have right tackles that are that talented, and the Pats will be just fine without him.

If we lose Vollmer, it will be hard to consider this free agency period successful. Talent is going quick and if Welker and Talib walk as well, the Pats won't be looking as hot as we all thought they would.

This is purely hypothetical though.

OT's are dropping like flies and we've already lost Donald Thomas. I don't see Vollmer slipping through the cracks. He's too important to us. #1 ranked OL on most FA lists.

He is not the #1 OL on most FA lists, he is an injury prone guy who's play has dropped off the last 2 years, and his market value will reflect that.

The Pats won three Super Bowls with a different RT every year. RT is replaceable. I would like to see Vollmer back, but not at any cost. I would rather get a decent replacement than spend $7-8 million on him a year which is what he is looking for or more.

It's amazing to me, how few people apparently understand the difference between re-sign and resign.

I'm having Nick Kazcur flashbacks. He was just plain bad. We need to "re-sign" the best RT in free agency, who by the way can play LT as well. Not an easily replaced commodity. I think BB will "re-sign" Seabass. He is injury prone but he is a very good player.

It's amazing to me, how few people apparently understand the difference between re-sign and resign.

OT: Interchangeable when speaking 'Merican!

Same rule applies for your/ you're and their/ there / they're

The Pats won three Super Bowls with a different RT every year. RT is replaceable. I would like to see Vollmer back, but not at any cost. I would rather get a decent replacement than spend $7-8 million on him a year which is what he is looking for or more.

I'd rather let him go and find out the market for him is south of 5mill a year, then bring him back at a reasonable price.

I thought Jake Long was universally regarded as the #1 OL on everyone's FA list (disregarding cost)?

I hope a team signs him to a 5 year $50M deal so the Pats can recoup with a 3rd round comp pick (pending their own signings, of course).

Vollmer has a ton of potential, but its almost every week we hear that he is hobbled, injured, or struggling with an injury. I like him, but I don't like him at a cost of a franchise LT. He has been replaceable in all those games he missed.....he can be replaced next year.

You've had 2 of the better RTs re-sign with their respective teams. You had Cherilus sign with the Colts and Bushrod with the Bears, though Bushrod is a LT.

Are you really wigging out over the signings of marginal players like King Dunlap??

I like Seabass, but, he is injured more than I am. Would like to resign (or was that re-sign?) Seabass only for a low price. :D

I believe that Loadholt also re-signed.

You've had 2 of the better RTs re-sign with their respective teams. You had Cherilus sign with the Colts and Bushrod with the Bears, though Bushrod is a LT.

Are you really wigging out over the signings of marginal players like King Dunlap??

Most of the O-Line needs work done. I said it before the 2012 season

The offensive line is lacking. And moreso now. Vollmer is great, but its easy to find a replacement. They just have to find a guy who can execute the right skills. Also, maybe some bigger guys.

I think we should cut Brady. He missed a whole season to injury and we still got 11 wins. He should be easy to replace, I think we still have a 6th round pick this year and just think of the salary cap savings.

The concern over Donald Thomas departing reminds me of similar worries from some Pats fans about how the offensive line was woefully thin a couple years ago, when the Pats cut Mark LeVoir early in training camp that year.

Most of the O-Line needs work done. I said it before the 2012 season

The offensive line is lacking. And moreso now. Vollmer is great, but its easy to find a replacement. They just have to find a guy who can execute the right skills. Also, maybe some bigger guys.

I am on record as saying on this board that Vollmer is one of the top RTs in all of football.

The problem is that lately he has not been healthy enough to back that up.

His play during the AFCCG was beyond putrid. My assumption is that he was playing with and injury and the team felt that an injured Vollmer was better than his replacements. That speaks volumes for the state of the talent pool at RT - Cannon, etc.).

Vollmer does not deserve big money and I do hope that a deal can be worked out that does entitle him to solid earnings IF he stays healthy.

Gee, this is funny. I'm watching NFL network right now and they have Seabass ranked as the top OL not to mention the top FA left. Hmm, perhaps they know something our board homers don't?
Ps, he's missed 7 games out his last 32. Hardly an injury trainwreck. Perception is not reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents