PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We’re #31!

I'm watching the Game 6 win over Buffalo Bills this morning. The defense is just tremendous at all 3 levels.

All the linemen, Dugger, the LBs, playing a great game.

Cole Strange's first game back and he's dominating the Bills' linemen.

I was a big Jack Jones fan but he looks super rusty this game. Has difficulty doing anything other than track downfield. He doesn't seem to have the ability to track over the middle.

I also recall he was an excellent tackler but 2x now he's been juked out of his shoes, once by Harty.

The ingredients are here to be much much better than a 4-13 team or the #31 team.

Just need that dang QB and a WR.

I'm watching the Game 6 win over Buffalo Bills this morning. The defense is just tremendous at all 3 levels.

I was a big Jack Jones fan but he looks super rusty this game. Has difficulty doing anything other than track downfield. He doesn't seem to have the ability to track over the middle.

I also recall he was an excellent tackler but 2x now he's been juked out of his shoes, once by Harty.

The ingredients are here to be much much better than a 4-13 team or the #31 team.

The left side of the offensive line has to get fixed!!!

Hey, I just got a call from early-90's oldrover...

8kg6tc.gif

;) j/k... a little... :whistle:

WTF ever happened to old rover anyways? Haven’t seen him in forever. I hope he didn’t die. After all he is old.

Agree completely. Almost all of the work they need to do is on offense. Fortunately this draft, and their draft position are A perfect fit for their needs.

From ESPN we are #31 out of 32 teams!

Carolina, how does our ass taste?

This certainly takes the pressure off…

Lmao. Carolina be icing up. As much as I want to see progress on the field, I’m fine with them taking the QB at 3 and keeping them on the bench for most all of the season, if they do that I’m also fine with them picking fairly high again next year. They could either get a franchise tackle or a #1WR with a top 10 pick. Then, in 25’, I want to see them get into the playoffs, and truly contend by 26’.

You could look at it this way, we have only one team to beat to the top pick in the draft.

Just to add to this, there's a new article up on The Athletic about Free Agency winners and losers; I'm always interested to read the snippets from the unnamed NFL Execs, think they nailed it for us:

New England Patriots

APY added: $31.5M (22nd) | APY lost: $24.7M (27th) | APY differential: $6.8M (16th)

The Patriots did not add or lose much in their first offseason in a quarter century without Bill Belichick at the controls.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It just seemed like they missed out on everyone,” one exec said.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft indicated the team tried and failed to land Calvin Ridley. He suggested the Patriots’ unsettled quarterback situation might have played a role, which was interesting, given that Ridley signed with a team featuring Will Levis, Mason Rudolph and Malik Willis behind center.

“Kraft mentions the (state income) taxes, the quarterback, the player’s girlfriend and then he mentioned the money,” an exec said. “The reality is, if the dollar net taxes was higher in New England than in Tennessee, they would have gotten the player. It’s like Kraft can’t live in a world where he is looked at as the problem.”

Journeyman quarterback Jacoby Brissett was the highest-priced free agent ($8 million) the Patriots added.

“The head coach came out early in the offseason and said, ‘We have a lot of money to spend, and we are going to spend it,'” another exec said. “Then he had to walk the comment back. Then they lose out on the receiver after their GM says they have no speed on offense. So you have the two highest appointed people in the organization saying they are going to spend and they are going to prioritize speed, and then they do neither. What the hell?”

Just to add to this, there's a new article up on The Athletic about Free Agency winners and losers; I'm always interested to read the snippets from the unnamed NFL Execs, think they nailed it for us:

New England Patriots

APY added: $31.5M (22nd) | APY lost: $24.7M (27th) | APY differential: $6.8M (16th)

The Patriots did not add or lose much in their first offseason in a quarter century without Bill Belichick at the controls.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It just seemed like they missed out on everyone,” one exec said.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft indicated the team tried and failed to land Calvin Ridley. He suggested the Patriots’ unsettled quarterback situation might have played a role, which was interesting, given that Ridley signed with a team featuring Will Levis, Mason Rudolph and Malik Willis behind center.

“Kraft mentions the (state income) taxes, the quarterback, the player’s girlfriend and then he mentioned the money,” an exec said. “The reality is, if the dollar net taxes was higher in New England than in Tennessee, they would have gotten the player. It’s like Kraft can’t live in a world where he is looked at as the problem.”

Journeyman quarterback Jacoby Brissett was the highest-priced free agent ($8 million) the Patriots added.

“The head coach came out early in the offseason and said, ‘We have a lot of money to spend, and we are going to spend it,'” another exec said. “Then he had to walk the comment back. Then they lose out on the receiver after their GM says they have no speed on offense. So you have the two highest appointed people in the organization saying they are going to spend and they are going to prioritize speed, and then they do neither. What the hell?”
They have plenty of ways to spend their money. Give them some time.

I don't believe anything that Goondell or the 32 say about anything. They lost that respect after dumping Brady over a trumped up charge.

They have plenty of ways to spend their money. Give them some time.

I don't believe anything that Goondell or the 32 say about anything. They lost that respect after dumping Brady over a trumped up charge.
If this is supposed to be a strategic rebuild, squandering all the resources on a few shiny toys is not a good way to get started. Any leftover money can be used to extend players with less impact to future years.

Power rankings before free agency finish and the draft... meaningless.

That's a great question. They had a 20 year stretch of not being the dog very often and they've been pretty much losing since.
We were like default 1st or 2nd on every Power Ranking every year for 20 years, and default top pick for SB win on betting sites every year for 20 years, and we smashed it.

Since when have we played better as an underdog. I don't get it.

The left side of the offensive line has to get fixed!!!

Yep, and we still need a 3rd-down RB… and another WR…and that’s just to get us to league average.

To me, the fortunes of the 2024 Patriots rest mostly on Jerod Mayo.

There is potential there. In this particular case, I don't see Kraft as delusional.

Coaching matters.

These “ NFL EXECS” seem to be more focused on the Patriots than they are their own team’s.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back