PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was Saturday the worst day of NFL Playoff Football ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was wild card weekend. This was the weekend to eliminate most of the crap before the really good teams enter the fray. And yet, the idiot commissioner wants to actually expand the playoff field.

They certainly were among the worst. I must say I have never seen a team literally give away a game the way Cincy did. Take three knees and kick a field goal, d%#*!@t. Then to give away 45 yards on stupid, stupid and even more stupid penalties to leave a chip shot at 18 seconds to lose the game? UGH!
well, they actually gave the game away on a fumble.

Regardless of rooting interests, is there any way to see if Saturday was the worst day of playoff football in terms of quality of play in history?

Houston gives up 4 turnovers and a 106 yard kickoff return in the first half, and yet only trail by 13 at the half? The Chiefs offense only being able to muster two field goals after being gifted four turrnovers? Just a case of a somewhat competent team outclassing a very incompetent team.

Pittsburgh-Cincy had scores of outside interference, melees, cheap shots, personal fouls, and lack of discipline. And also two backup quarterbacks playing like backup quarterbacks, seven fumbles and two interceptions.

Sunday's games at least didn't seem embarrassing unless you're Blair Walsh or the Redskins after the middle of the 2nd quarter. Saturday's games just seemed historically, objectively terrible.
i don't think so.

there's always a blowout or two in the playoffs, less often now, thank goodness, in the SB itself. So KCC/HOU "was what it was." A team that was lucky to be there throwing four picks and getting blown away by a team that overcame long, long odds to get there.

PIT/CIN was just an "old school" game that got out of hand in the fourth quarter. It highlighted weaknesses in the Bengals organization, including keeping a coach around who, in my view, doesn't approach the game with integrity...i've felt that for a long time and Saturday night was just the culmination of years of crap.

But, if you take away the bad behavior by Burfict and the Pacman (why didn't they just lock him up and throw away the key in Las Vegas years ago?), it was actually a very compelling game, with a comeback engineered by a tough, hurt QB.

This was one of the worst NFL years in the 40+ years I've been watching, in terms of quality of play and coaching. Perhaps the combination of complexity of the game and the speed/power of the players has made it so chaotic that quality and consistency is so much harder to achieve. Whatever it is, both coaches and players are looking more incompetent than ever.

I think 1960 may be on to something with this:

Pro football in general has been going downhill. I think it started when they started tinkering with the rules to the point that nobody (the refs included) can figure out what is and isn't a penalty.

I think weeks 1-7 says "Hi". I can probably find three or four weeks this season that were far worse.

the entire 2008 playoffs were like this

if the pats had gotten in, they would have had as much of a chance as anyone else to win it even with cassell

Worst ever? I don't think so. This was a pretty standard week as far as NFL goes. In my mind, at least.

Pro football in general has been going downhill. I think it started when they started tinkering with the rules to the point that nobody (the refs included) can figure out what is and isn't a penalty. When I watch games now there's not a lot of excitement (even on big plays) because I'm waiting to see the flag that usually follows.

I also don't care at all for the way the NFL celebrates the worst characters in the game. It wouldn't surprise me to know that Fraudger and the NYJFL enjoyed the way the Pitt-Cincy game ended because it has people talking, even if the talk is negative. That seems to be the new MO for them.

In what way is it going downhill. If you are saying something like that the game was better to watch 10 years ago, then I agree. But the league itself is going uphill in terms of money and ratings

the entire 2008 playoffs were like this

if the pats had gotten in, they would have had as much of a chance as anyone else to win it even with cassell

forget it, if Brady was healthy that year, 14-2 and super bowl champs

Remember that time the Texans ran an offense that featured multiple Wildcat lineups, direct snaps to running backs, and then a direct snap to their defensive end on the goal line in order to appease his massive ego when they finally got something going? Remember how the defensive end got totally stuffed because it looked like he was running in slow motion up to the line, as you might expect from a 300 lb man?

Well, the rest of the games were okay.

Integrity aside, the PITT/CIN game was actually kind of exciting

2005-06 Wild Card round. Pats beat Jags 28-3. Was a bad weekend filled with bad games or blow outs. This weekend had at least some entertainment

I love the playoffs because it's the only time of year defenses have a fair chance against offenses.

Seahawks-Vikings was a fantastic game if you like football rather than NBA basketball.

Packers-Redskins was great until the second half. GB solved the Redskins defense and the rest was history.

Steelers-Bengals was an embarrassment on the level of professionalism and representing a sport but the play was physical playoff football.

one thing was consistent.......every winning team had a superior QB going into the game

Even though Rodgers got out played by Cousins, Russell out played by Bridgewater (or maybe a draw deepending how you slice it) and McCarron and Roethlisberger were more or less a tie. Pitt had 167 rushing yards and GB had 141 rushing yards and that's what made the difference.

Even though Rodgers got out played by Cousins, Russell out played by Bridgewater (or maybe a draw deepending how you slice it) and McCarron and Roethlisberger were more or less a tie. Pitt had 167 rushing yards and GB had 141 rushing yards and that's what made the difference.

trust me....the steelers would not have rushed well at all if Landry was the QB

as for the seahawks, Russell delivered a TD....not sure it is possible for a QB to outplay another one without scoring any points

trust me....the steelers would not have rushed well at all if Landry was the QB

as for the seahawks, Russell delivered a TD....not sure it is possible for a QB to outplay another one without scoring any points

Wilson also threw a pick and Bridgewater did not. Russell Wilson Eli Manning'ed his team to that victory in more ways than one (Baldwin 1 hand catch, fumble to 35 yard completion, the missed field goal).

Wilson also threw a pick and Bridgewater did not. Russell Wilson Eli Manning'ed his team to that victory in more ways than one (Baldwin 1 hand catch, fumble to 35 yard completion, the missed field goal).

That fumble-to-completion play was one that few QBs in the league could have made. Wilson, Rodgers, Newton. That's about it. Brees and Brady, good as they are, would have taken a sack and known to take a sack. That alone was outplaying Bridgewater, who looked pretty mediocre.

That fumble-to-completion play was one that few QBs in the league could have made. Wilson, Rodgers, Newton. That's about it. Brees and Brady, good as they are, would have taken a sack and known to take a sack. That alone was outplaying Bridgewater, who looked pretty mediocre.

+ Eli Manning
+ Tony Romo.

How was this year any worse than last year?

I understand what you're saying, but at the end of the day, one TD and one INT will likely yield more than 0 TD and 0 INT........weather was certainly a big random factor in this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes