PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was Saturday the worst day of NFL Playoff Football ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slam

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Regardless of rooting interests, is there any way to see if Saturday was the worst day of playoff football in terms of quality of play in history?

Houston gives up 4 turnovers and a 106 yard kickoff return in the first half, and yet only trail by 13 at the half? The Chiefs offense only being able to muster two field goals after being gifted four turrnovers? Just a case of a somewhat competent team outclassing a very incompetent team.

Pittsburgh-Cincy had scores of outside interference, melees, cheap shots, personal fouls, and lack of discipline. And also two backup quarterbacks playing like backup quarterbacks, seven fumbles and two interceptions.

Sunday's games at least didn't seem embarrassing unless you're Blair Walsh or the Redskins after the middle of the 2nd quarter. Saturday's games just seemed historically, objectively terrible.

Having composure and professionalism is probably a big reason why the Pats have so many playoff wins.

Pro football in general has been going downhill. I think it started when they started tinkering with the rules to the point that nobody (the refs included) can figure out what is and isn't a penalty. When I watch games now there's not a lot of excitement (even on big plays) because I'm waiting to see the flag that usually follows.

I also don't care at all for the way the NFL celebrates the worst characters in the game. It wouldn't surprise me to know that Fraudger and the NYJFL enjoyed the way the Pitt-Cincy game ended because it has people talking, even if the talk is negative. That seems to be the new MO for them.

Having composure and professionalism is probably a big reason why the Pats have so many playoff wins.

Unfortunately, that professionalism and composure doesn't seem to be part of Fraudger's vision of the future of the NYJFL. His heroes are Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Tomlin, Ray Lewis and Harbaugh, Mike Vick and Rex Ryan, not Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

First-round games often are lackluster. It's a good argument against Goodell's push for expanding the playoffs.

The not-ready-for-prime-time Texans turned into a snooze fest, but I was interested in watching KC. I found the other game compelling and entertaining, even though it theorhetically made the NFL look "bad" because the two teams going at it are full of thugs. All 4 teams are or have been rivals for us, so I still liked watching. Heck, we are going to face one, and maybe two, int he next two weeks!

They certainly were among the worst. I must say I have never seen a team literally give away a game the way Cincy did. Take three knees and kick a field goal, d%#*!@t. Then to give away 45 yards on stupid, stupid and even more stupid penalties to leave a chip shot at 18 seconds to lose the game? UGH!

The worst years are the ones that the pats are not IN the playoffs.

The 'Hawks/Vikings game was an embarrassment. Especially at the end. How do you miss a 27-yard FG?

The GB/'Skins game was also a laugher.

The 'Hawks/Vikings game was an embarrassment. Especially at the end. How do you miss a 27-yard FG?

The GB/'Skins game was also a laugher.

The last two minutes of regulation of the Hawks/Vikes was basically all I watched and I found it immensely entertaining. Like laugh out loud.

The worst years are the ones that the pats are not IN the playoffs.
True, and I would go even further and say the worst day of playoff football for me (other than the game that shall not be named in 2007) was when the Pats lost to the Jets at home in embarassing fashion, then I was stuck in the parking lot for like 3 hours after the game. Ay caramba...

I have to say I found both the Pitt/Cincy game and the Seattle/Minn game very captivating. That's not to say that the PLAY was great... but those games were quite entertaining.

Especially the Pitt/Cincy game, and not just for the wild ending. I mean, when Ben went down, my son turned to me and said, who are we rooting for now, Dad? LOL

I actually enjoyed 3 out of the 4

They certainly were among the worst. I must say I have never seen a team literally give away a game the way Cincy did. Take three knees and kick a field goal, d%#*!@t. Then to give away 45 yards on stupid, stupid and even more stupid penalties to leave a chip shot at 18 seconds to lose the game? UGH!

The penalties are dumb but no team in going to take 3 knees when the other team has 3 timeouts. 3 knees makes it between a 47-49 yard field goal and if he misses Pittsburgh has the ball at the Cincy 38 yard line with 1:20-1:23 left. Running was the correct call. The RB needs to protect the ball better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back