PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Wilfork asks to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raji isn't off the market unless you listen to Felger and Mazz who still continue think he accepted the one year, $4 million off from the Packers that he rejected.

Melton had an ACL tear. Rather gamble on an ACL tear than a torn achillies

Hatcher has been a solid player for several years, but became a stud when the Cowboys switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

Williams is a declining stud, boarderline HOF who may or may not have as much left as Wilfork has.

I think Melton will do good, he was a wrecking force prior to his acl torn.

I'll bet being asked to restructure or take a significant cut coupled with the Revis contract pissed Vince off.

I would hate to see him go, but this is part of the business. Management has to do what's best for the team and sometimes that means moving some money around to get other players to help the team. I doubt we told him we are cutting his pay to the veteran minimum.

This is not going to end well. :(

I think that it would be a mistake to let him go, IMO.

Patriots didn't let him go, Wilfork ask to be released. Big difference.

Raji raji raji raji raji raji

Show us what you got what you got raji

can someone get a gif going on that

Does Vince Wilfork REALLY believe that he will make anything close to 11.5million$ if he is released and signs with another team?

He is not looking for $11.5 Million that was his cap hit. His salary is $7.5M. And it all depends on what the Pats were offering for salary and the restructure of his deal.

Why are people wanting Raji? He isn't very good.

It's time to move away from the big NT who can't do anything but eat space; faster and more athletic is the way to go - get some pass rush!

ZING! Good one bro :rolleyes:

Look, it's a business; instead of a bunch of fans demanding players show "loyalty", let him do what he wants. Very good chance it won't work out for him; on the other hand, who could blame him for feeling the way he does? Just let him go and move on. I'm not gonna trash Wilfork. He was a pillar of greatness for this team and I'm not going to be a semi-sentient buffoon and start trashing him just because it's come to this. Cut him and move on. Best of luck, Vince.

I don't think they will cut him anyway. Belichick will not be made a fool.

Raji raji raji raji raji raji

Show us what you got what you got raji

can someone get a gif going on that

Because those Boston College DTs have worked so well for us!

you mean defensive needs as in DL. who do you see replacing Wilfork at DT??

I meant defensive needs. Brandon Browner (SS/CB), Wesley Woodhard (coverage LB, hybrid LB/S), DL, DT. Any of those.

Vince Wilfork from 2004-2012 was one of the greatest Patriots' defenders ever, and a unique athlete. He started as a 3-4 NT, and then evolved into much more, using his rare athleticism and football intelligence to become the focal point of the defense. Since Wilfork was drafted in 2004, I have seen only 2 players at his size range with his kind of rare athleticism, versatility and explosiveness: Haloti Ngata in 2006, and Dontari Poe in 2012. Guys like Wilfork don't come along very often, much less fall to the range where the Pats' pick.

As far as "replacing" him, no one will provide exactly what Wilfork c. 2004-2012 did. But, a couple of points to consider:

1. Wilfork in 2013 was a shadow of his former self, whether because he was already dinged up (likely), was beginning to decline, or both.

2. It is not at all clear that Wilfork can recover from his Achilles injury to anything near his 2004-2012 form. Age, weight, and family history of severe diabetes all are working against him. While Jason Peters did come back from his Achilles' injury, it's not a given that Wilfork will be able to plant and anchor effectively.

3. It's not clear with all the talent and athleticism on the defense that the Pats need a dominant NT like Wilfork c. 2004-2013.

4. It's not clear with the way the defense is evolving that a pure NT is the way to go.

With those things in mind, there are a number of options:

- Keep Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Armstead and Vellano as the DT group for now. They are young (except for Kelly) and should get better. Kelly was very effective last year before he got hurt. Siliga was developing nicely, and while he won't be Wilfork, as I've said, there aren't many Wilfork's out there.

- There are a number of good NT prospects in the draft, from day 1-2 (Louis Nix) to day 2 (Justin Ellis) to day 3 (Zach Kerr). None is probably Wilfork (see above), but all are talented prospects.

- I don't think there is a great NT option in FA, even if the Pats want to go that way. Paul Soliai was probable the best pure NT, and got more money from Atlanta than I would personally have paid. I wanted the Pats to go after Linval Joseph, who got around $6M/year - he would have been a good target if this situation had come to light a few days ago. BJ Raji has fallen off dramatically, and I'm not convinced that he would solve anything.

- If the Pats wanted to go to a more attacking defense, then Jason Hatcher or Henry Melton would be worth looking at, depending on the price.

I'm not convinced that the Pats have to do anything with DT in free agency. I'm personally ok with Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Armstead and Vellano going into the draft. I'd go after Aaron Donald, and then maybe try to get Zach Kerr day 3.

JMHO.

It comes off as a bit childish from Vince? Kinda like i'll break up with them before they break up with me, so it looks like I was the person who ended it.

They asked you to restructure, which by all means is fair. You said 'No', which you are entitled to do. The ball is in the Patriots court right now, either they stick with your salary for the season or they cut you.

Asking them to release you because the asked you to restructure is silly.

Patriots didn't let him go, Wilfork ask to be released. Big difference.

yeah, I'm sure his decision to asked to be released had nothing to do with the Pats wanting him to take significant pay cut.

I don't think they will cut him anyway. Belichick will not be made a fool.

If he won't restructure BB would be a fool NOT to acquiesce to Bianca's wishes

Siliga>Raji. Seriously.

It comes off as a bit childish from Vince? Kinda like i'll break up with them before they break up with me, so it looks like I was the person who ended it.

They asked you to restructure, which by all means is fair. You said 'No', which you are entitled to do. The ball is in the Patriots court right now, either they stick with your salary for the season or they cut you.

Good point. The Pats don't have to do anything. They asked him to restructure. He said no. On to the next guy or work with the cap room they have.

Hazy, I think it is fair to say that Vince does not make the business decisions in the Wilfork household. My assumption is that this decision came from the top, if you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes