PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Wilfork asks to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.
That isn't how the contract works. It's structured so they can waive him at any time.

No its not.

If he was waived in contract year 1, 18 million would hit the cap or 50% in year 1 and 50% in year 2.

He knew that going in. Which is the reason for the huge signing bonus. You can't compare it to a contract in private industry

An 18 million signing bonus over 5 years is huge? Also, who is comparing this contract to private industry?

Who gets a 18 million dollar signing bonus in the private sector?

The point is that Wilfork took less salary in the beginning of the deal and more salary later. More often than not that later salary is turned into bonus so the player actually benefit because then its guaranteed money.

Thats not happening here.

...If you can than Wilfork should take them to court. It's the structure the union agreed to.

Get a grip.

Nobody is claiming that Wilfork has legal recourse vs the Pats.

Wilfork has every right to refuse a pay cut and if so the pats should release him ASAP so he can maximize his earnings on the open market. You could argue the pats should have raised this point with him weeks ago so he'd be a free agent at the start of this week.

Wilfork received almost that same amount of money last year in salary.

Sad news INDEED, vince was a great player on and off the field for the pats. Lets not forget that while in the prime of his career he had to grovel to get a fair contract extension. Five years ago he was the best at his position and the FO low balled him to the very end. It must have struck in his craw that Mankins held out and insulted the coach and the owner in public and still got a new contract. So this time, (even though even he doesn't know if he is still the same player after a major injury) that he is unwilling to re-negotiat his contract.

Breaking News…This Just In

Wilfork's agent just finished his sumo wrestling match and issued the following statement from Wilfork…

Please release me
Let me go
For I
Won't play for you anymore
To waste our lives
Would be a sin
Release me
And let me start again

I have found
A new team dear
And I will always
Want them near
Their checks are warm
While yours are cold
Release me, coach
Let me go

Please release me
Can't you see
You'd be a fool
To cling to me
To live a lie
Would bring us pain
Release me
And let me play again

To be clear, you would want Wilfork to rehab at the patriots cost and participate in our OTA's.
You would then cut him in July. And if Wilfork were injured while still a patriot, the team would be out lots of money.

No, the best thing is for the team to cut Wilfork within a week, with appropriate thank you for your service press conferences.

I disagee........the cost of rehab is irrelevant, and he's not qualified to participate in OTA's unless medically cleared.

there's no reason to rush because wilfork has suddenly decided its time

Wilfork played hardball with the Patriots when he did his current deal. Unfortunately for him, he can't go out there and test the market becuase he's still under contract and other teams would be tampering if they made an offer, or even explored what he wants with him.

I'm sure some back-channel conversations are underway, but the Patriots hold all the cards until they pull the trigger and cut him.

The Patriots don't need this distraction as they recruit free agents to come to Foxboro, so this may be a fluid situation for a while. I'm not convinced that it's a sure bet that Vince won't be signed as a Patriot.

I disagee........the cost of rehab is irrelevant, and he's not qualified to participate in OTA's unless medically cleared.

there's no reason to rush because wilfork has suddenly decided its time

If the Pats have declared he will not be paid his salary (under his contract) and will be released otherwise, and Wilfork has declared he will not play for a discount, then how is this Wilfork saying it's time? Wilfork would say nothing if the Pats honored the deal, but that would be a bad move for the Pats and I suspect they have made it clear he can expect not to have it honored. This becomes a discussion over whether you release him now to explore full opportunities or try to limit and strong-arm him into accepting a bad deal or worse, leave him with nothing as a free agent.

If his medical status is up in the air, then cut him now with due regard for his history and let him test the market. If he doesn't find the deal that the Pats offered, then he returns if healthy. Everyone wins. Treating a good soldier on your defense like a malcontent because he will not swallow the deal the team wants after an injury and holding him to limit his options sounds more personal than business. It will also be months of a PR nightmare in which a well-liked player may publicly turn on the organization.

As an aside, it is amusing that people dislike Branch for grousing about the terms of his contract and forcing a trade, but the team unilaterally renegotiates the deal and it's just good business with the player again playing the heavy for not swallowing what it chooses to offer. I get the applicable contract law and the one-sided nature of the deals, but perception should not be the player is always in the wrong.

No its not.

If he was waived in contract year 1, 18 million would hit the cap or 50% in year 1 and 50% in year 2.

An 18 million signing bonus over 5 years is huge? Also, who is comparing this contract to private industry?

Who gets a 18 million dollar signing bonus in the private sector?

The point is that Wilfork took less salary in the beginning of the deal and more salary later. More often than not that later salary is turned into bonus so the player actually benefit because then its guaranteed money.

Thats not happening here.

Get a grip.

Nobody is claiming that Wilfork has legal recourse vs the Pats.

Wilfork received almost that same amount of money last year in salary.

Doesn't matter how much would hit the cap. They have the right to waive him. If they don't, then sue. One or the other. You can't say the team isn't "honoring the contract". Yes they are. Waiving someone is their right under the contract. Yes it is.

You said the team doesn't have the right to waive players at any time. That is a factually wrong statement. Cap hits are irrelevent. They have the right. If they don't then sue.

More often than not the later amounts are turned into guarateed money? Like in ware's case? Old players get cut all the time. It's the teams choice to "honor the contract" by cutting them. Doesn't matter how often it's turned into guaranteed money. This time it's not.

You brought up the private sector saying if he were say loading boxes and got injured the company couldn't just walk away. So you brought it up. It's a red herring. Not the same industry and the players union has allowed teams to do just what the Pats are doing. People who load boxes don't get 20m signing bonuses? Yes my point exactly. Different industry so it's a red herring for you to bring it up.

He received that amount last year? Which means he'll get it this year? OK good luck to him. He's had an injury in the meantime. Maybe the pats are just stupid to want to cut him. But to say they're not "honoring the contract" as you did is WRONG.

MODEST SUGGESTION

A) Cut Wilfork within a few days. We need the cap room, or will soon.

B) If Wilfork is able and willing to come back, he can be re-signed in July or even August. The money would come from a Mankins restructure, something the team does not particularly want to do.

IMHO, a Mankins restructure won't change the situation with him. The team would still need to decide whether Mankins was worth $7M of new money in 2015.

MODEST SUGGESTION

A) Cut Wilfork within a few days. We need the cap room, or will soon.

B) If Wilfork is able and willing to come back, he can be re-signed in July or even August. The money would come from a Mankins restructure, something the team does not particularly want to do.

IMHO, a Mankins restructure won't change the situation with him. The team would still need to decide whether Mankins was worth $7M of new money in 2015.

I agree, he needs to be released now.

Since I'm such a big fan of Vince's, for the moment I'm going turn my anger and frustration on the mediots who are trying to make it seem like the Pats are out to screw poor Vince. Vince has been a great player, but every step of the way, he's been paid top dollar for his services.

Too bad that the negotiations weren't as smooth as he liked in 2010, but in the end he got TOP DOLLAR. He wasn't ever short changed while he's been here. Yes he had to sign a 6 year deal coming, but the fact is, back then, being a first round draft pick got you a lot more money starting out than it does today.

The only thing rare about Vince's contract situation is that he actually played to the value of his contract every year he played...up until last season. Still how can you be so obtuse to think you'd be immune to the consequences that every vet over 30 faces when he comes into his contract's final year, and his team needs cap space. ESPECIALLY when no one knows at this point, when or even IF he will play this season.

Free Vince! There is no risk. Who's going to look at him as a viable FA until he can pass a physical. Anyone who knows when that will be, has a scoop. Most feel, August at best, before he can even try. Let him go and revisit it them.

My only surprise is that he didn't take the restructure, which I imagine would have insured at least a few million dollars guaranteed for this year, even if he can't play. If released, he won't get a nickel if he can't play. Not smart.

I agree, he needs to be released now.

Since I'm such a big fan of Vince's, for the moment I'm going turn my anger and frustration on the mediots who are trying to make it seem like the Pats are out to screw poor Vince. Vince has been a great player, but every step of the way, he's been paid top dollar for his services.
That's not exactly true. He outperformed his rookie contract, which was 6 years long. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Patriots should overpay him now because they underpaid him back then, but he was underpaid.
Too bad that the negotiations weren't as smooth as he liked in 2010, but in the end he got TOP DOLLAR. He wasn't ever short changed while he's been here. Yes he had to sign a 6 year deal coming, but the fact is, back then, being a first round draft pick got you a lot more money starting out than it does today.
Not in the long run for a player of Wilfork's caliber. He would have hit free agency sooner and made more ultimately.

They're going to cut him anyway so I really wish they'd just do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back