PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Views On A Former Patriot - Matt Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulThePat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Have to say that if there is one non-Patriot I’m rooting for in the NFL it has to be Matt Cassel. The only player in NFL history to lead a team at QB after never starting a single game in college. It really is remarkable that the Patriots ever drafted him in the first place. What did they see ? Did they realistically envisage him as taking over from Brady ? Whatever the plan was it has ended up giving an NFL career to a kid no other team would likely have ever picked up.

You have to think that if Bernard Pollard hadn’t blown out Tom Brady’s knee in 2008 that Matt would still be a Patriot. It’s ironic that because of a season ending injury delivered by a Kansas City Chief player Matt Cassel has progressed from clipboard holder to starting NFL QB for the very same KC Chiefs.

Watching him against the Colts he looked similar to what I remember from 2008. Not a game winner but not the worst game manager. Never going to be an elite level QB or perhaps even a second or third tier passer. However, he did throw a great pass to Bowe which was a sure fire 6 points until the receiver somehow dropped a simple ball. Delivered a good pass on 4th down late in the game which almost kept Chief hopes alive. On the other hand there were a few passes into the ground and balls floated to nobody in particular. A few too many incompletions.

I get the feeling that Matt will be under pressure to produce bigger numbers. Question I’m asking is do posters think Matt can sustain an NFL career as a starting QB ? Can he produce enough plays to keep his job ? We saw what he could do when he had Welker and Moss to throw to. Perhaps a better receiving core would help Matt out. With what looks like a good D taking shape in Kansas their offence will need to deliver points. Can they do that with Matt ?

Personally I hope he can get it done. Can’t help but like the kid after what he did for us in 2008. The pressure to replace Brady and not make an ass of himself must have been huge. He ended up doing a fantastic job under the circumstances and deserved a crack somewhere else. Have to say if he is ever cut I wouldn’t say no to having him back on the sidelines at Gillette as an experienced back-up.

PaulC.

Have to say that if there is one non-Patriot I’m rooting for in the NFL it has to be Matt Cassel. The only player in NFL history to lead a team at QB after never starting a single game in college. It really is remarkable that the Patriots ever drafted him in the first place. What did they see ? Did they realistically envisage him as taking over from Brady ? Whatever the plan was it has ended up giving an NFL career to a kid no other team would likely have ever picked up.

You have to think that if Bernard Pollard hadn’t blown out Tom Brady’s knee in 2008 that Matt would still be a Patriot. It’s ironic that because of a season ending injury delivered by a Kansas City Chief player Matt Cassel has progressed from clipboard holder to starting NFL QB for the very same KC Chiefs.

Watching him against the Colts he looked similar to what I remember from 2008. Not a game winner but not the worst game manager. Never going to be an elite level QB or perhaps even a second or third tier passer. However, he did throw a great pass to Bowe which was a sure fire 6 points until the receiver somehow dropped a simple ball. Delivered a good pass on 4th down late in the game which almost kept Chief hopes alive. On the other hand there were a few passes into the ground and balls floated to nobody in particular. A few too many incompletions.

I get the feeling that Matt will be under pressure to produce bigger numbers. Question I’m asking is do posters think Matt can sustain an NFL career as a starting QB ? Can he produce enough plays to keep his job ? We saw what he could do when he had Welker and Moss to throw to. Perhaps a better receiving core would help Matt out. With what looks like a good D taking shape in Kansas their offence will need to deliver points. Can they do that with Matt ?

Personally I hope he can get it done. Can’t help but like the kid after what he did for us in 2008. The pressure to replace Brady and not make an ass of himself must have been huge. He ended up doing a fantastic job under the circumstances and deserved a crack somewhere else. Have to say if he is ever cut I wouldn’t say no to having him back on the sidelines at Gillette as an experienced back-up.

PaulC.

I saw him make some bad throws but I also saw receivers drop balls that any college receiver should have been able to make, I don't know what he can do about that, give him good talent and coaching and he'll do fine, surround him with crap and he'll look like crap as well.

After the series where his receivers dropped three straight passes (one a touchdown) I stopped watching the game. His most reliable target looks like his rookie Tight End.

There is zero reason MC cannot continue to be a starting NFL QB. If for no other reason than the QB situation in Arizona, San Fransisco, Carolina, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Oakland, Miami, Jacksonville, Seattle......

based on talent, there is zero reason he can't be an accomplished NFL QB. Too bad we didn't send Moss to KC.

The guy has alot of talent, can scramble very very well, and seems under control even under pressure situations. He should be a top 50 percentile starting QB for years to come.

I'm rooting for Matt. That Bowe drop was as bad as gaffney's drop against the Colts. His supporting crew is not helping him.

Right now, Matt's a game manager, and a pretty decent one. He's got the #1 running game there and a solid defense that is coming together, but his receivers have really hurt him. Bowe's dropped pass in the endzone killed them.

But he has to start putting up some points, dropped passes or not. He's not being paid like a game manager, and fair or unfair, the NFL is about expectations. When you're some nobody who hasn't started a game since high school and win 11 games, you're a hero, and even have some of the locals wondering if you should replace Tom Brady. (I'm still not over this by the way).

But when a team trades for you, rewards you with a long-term deal, the expectations suddenly shoot up. And so far, he's struggled in KC. If he was some undrafted free agent KC brought in and he won the job, the expectations would be considerably lower, and everyone would be thrilled about the job he's done so far. But he wasn't, and he needs to start producing more points. Yesterday's loss falls on the offense.

Right now, he seems like a middle-of-the-road starter, a guy who is good enough to start, but not good enough that you don't think about drafting a young kid to develop. If he's going to take the next step though, Weiss would be the guy to do it under.

I'm rooting for Matt. That Bowe drop was as bad as gaffney's drop against the Colts. His supporting crew is not helping him.

DUDE

that was Reche Caldwell! lets not tarnish Jabar's pretty nice record with the team

- FRITZ

I don't think he'll have long term success. The guy throws way too many ducks, and can't throw an accurate deep ball.

I know Cassel doesn't have much to work with, but he really does look to be a product of Belichick's and McDaniels' coaching along with the talent of the Pats' receivers in 2008. He can be an average QB at times, but he does still take off too quickly and makes bad decisions on the run.

I appreciate what the guy did for the Pats that year, but I think the Pats got the better end of that trade.

I don't think he'll have long term success. The guy throws way too many ducks, and can't throw an accurate deep ball.

During KC's game vs Indy his deep ball to Bowe was right on target, and actually should have been an easy catch for the TD. I noticed him throwing the ball away or into the ground toward a receiver a few times, but I also noticed on each occasion that his receivers were covered, and Indy's Pass rush was closing in. He was throwing the ball away to keep from taking a sack. I think KC needs two things to become a contending NFL team, better pass protection, and more reliable receiving targets.

KC's defense is early 2000's Patriots esc, and I really like Brandon Flowers, who I wanted NE to draft.

Matt is being paid to be an NFL starter, which he is. He's also being paid to take the abuse of fans, live with the mistakes of teammates, and set an example of how the Belichick tree works to prepare for the season and for games. He's earning every penny. His receivers are getting better, mostly thanks to the 2009 draft giving him McCluster and Moeaki. Pioli can hope to replace Bowe with a real deep threat in the next draft, and get Matt a nice D-Giv quality possession receiver to complement that slot receiver and TE.

Matt has to live behind an O-line which is not coached by Dante Scarnecchia and is primarily a leftover of the KC running game from the pre-Pioli management. The transition has been painful to watch if you enjoy good O-line play. With the right supporting cast, Matt has the skill to keep KC a regular post-season contender. We've seen what Tommy can do with the right supporting cast.

Matt has Weis now, but part of what makes Tommy so great is the time he spends with Belichick - Matt no longer has that, we'll see how Pioli deals with that shortfall as they go forward. I will always have a deep appreciation for Matt and wish him success to go along with the hard work he has done for NE and for his his career. :rocker:

And what Sebby said too. :cool:

On the 4th and 2 at the beginning of the game he had the fullback wide open after the PA for what would have been an easy first down, and possibly a touchdown but he was focused on his first option and threw into coverage. If he makes the easy throw and takes what the defense gives him that whole game is different.

Last edited:
On the 4th and 2 at the beginning of the game he had the fullback wide open after the PA for what would have been an easy first down, and possibly a touchdown but he was focused on his first option and threw into coverage. If he makes the easy throw and takes what the defense gives him that whole game is different.
Damned Brady! :bricks:

DUDE

that was Reche Caldwell! lets not tarnish Jabar's pretty nice record with the team

- FRITZ

You must have forgotten Gaffney's horrendous drop against the Colts that probably cost them the game in 2008.

By far my favourite ex-Pat, and one of my favourite non-Pats players altogether :)

I wanna see Cassel do well, unfortunately life is gonna be hard for him as long as the Chiefs think Branden Albert is an NFL level starting left tackle and as long as Dwayne Bowe keeps playing like sh*t. Their defense will only get better once Tyson Jackson gets healthy, he and Dorsey were beasting against San Diego before he went down. That D is some experience + a stud ILB from being really good.

He's much better than Leinart and right now he looks better than Palmer.

I'm rooting for him to succeed. Cassel has rare personal qualities that should eventually make him a success in the league. I'd bet on Cassel having a good career more than I would, say, Tebow.

Isn't Cassel also the 1st QB ever to throw for 400 yards and run for 100 in a single game? His game against the Jets in 2008 was clutch.

I'm rooting for him to succeed. Cassel has rare personal qualities that should eventually make him a success in the league. I'd bet on Cassel having a good career more than I would, say, Tebow.

Isn't Cassel also the 1st QB ever to throw for 400 yards and run for 100 in a single game? His game against the Jets in 2008 was clutch.

He only had ~62 rushing against the JEST, but he's the only QB in NFL history with 400 passing/60 rushing in the same game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3