PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very sad news: RIP Joker

As a mark of respect, I will follow your lead @sb1
Love this idea, you inspired me to do something similar (but with a 1960’s television character to be consistent with my “brand”)

I’m in.

Thanks for the inspiration, I'm in

I like it.... got mine
I am also in. I was telling my wife about his passing. It's hard to explain this place to folks who aren't here. I am truly sad to know he's not going to show up and come up with something that make me go "dude, TF :rofl: ".

It was always a treat posting something innocuous and then coming back to the website a few hours later and seeing "Joker quoted your post..." as a notification. You're in for a 2 paged paragraph with insanely creative insults hurled left and right, beneath which was a solid take on whatever being discussed.

Gonna miss that. RIP Joker.
Being admonished by @Joker is more of an honor than being praised by anybody.

There is a heart and soul of the Patriots, which is not visible to the media or ownership.

It lives in the lives, and memories, of players, coaches, employees, their families - and fans like Jeff.

He's a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Joker is irreplaceable.
Kurt Russell Fact GIF

Murphy's is still going strong as a Patriots bar. I live in Northern Virginia and have gone there a few times, once taking a visiting friend and fellow
Pats fan from Massachusetts. He loved the place, a home away from home. Joker would have given it a thumbs up.

Good to see that... Yeah I also think it would've met with his approval: an All-Patriots upstairs, at least that end of it, with its own bar & multiple screens of the same Patriots game behind it & at each corner...

Just thought of this now: Does anyone know what beer Joker liked to drink? Maybe I can pick up a spack of it for tomorrow night...

Just thought of this now: Does anyone know what beer Joker liked to drink?

Whatever you were buying

Failing that I know from conversation he liked Narragansett or did 'back in the day'

Last edited:
Jeff was one of a kind, at least to me. He attended the original Woodstock festival, graduated from Boston University, played guitar, never married but loved the ladies and lived alone in a mobile home with his pet cat. He was widely traveled.

Whenever someone passes on, the usual sentiment is "RIP" -- rest in peace. I never have liked that. I prefer to think our souls are on a continuum, the next plane of existence brimming with love, exuberance, fellowship and adventure, free of physical pain or limitation. So have fun up there, J.O. Jeffy. And remember to save us some shrimp!
As everyone on this Forum knows, he had a certain on-line persona with lots of grousing, exclamation points and over the top opinions and "takes". It was often hysterically funny. Especially his takes on a certain NFL Commissioner. :)

However, I remember one post of his where he completely dropped the usual on-line persona and it was one of the most serious, well-written, reflective and moving posts I've ever seen on this board. I wish I could remember it better (and it might have been years ago), but he talked about his struggles with the loss of the love of his life (although they weren't together at the time of her death) in some type of extremely unfortunate, preventable and untimely fashion, I can't remember if it was a traffic accident or being at the wrong place at the wrong time, or what. However, that post on his struggles with her death was so poignant and well written that I still remember it years later, he clearly was an excellent writer when he wanted to be.

Rest in Peace Joker.

Whatever you were buying

Failing that I know from conversation he liked Narragansett.

He wasn't much of a drinker, I never saw him seek it out. My sense is he had reason to avoid it. But I will add that the times we were together he was behind the wheel before and after.

Last edited:
I was wondering why @Joker (alias "Joe Kerr") hadn't posted in a while, especially in the "Jets Suck" thread after Aaron Rodgers went down. (Folks here will remember Joker was fond of calling him "Discount Double Dork.") After leaving phone messages followed by some Internet searching tonight it didn't take long to discover the sad news he has passed on. He was only 72.

I considered Jeff a friend, we attended several Patriots games together. We last spoke briefly by phone in early August; he was coughing and complained of symptoms from long-Covid. I had no idea how serious it was as he'd been in and out of treatment several years for respiratory issues. He once told me, "My doctor said, 'You're fat! You need to walk every day whether you want to or not!'" Whenever I checked in with him he assured me he was taking walks and doing well.

Naturally, "J.O." liked to eat and the times we tailgated he'd always volunteer, "I'll bring shrimp!" He frequented a gourmet deli near his Rhode Island home that stocked the biggest shrimp obtainable. What a guy he was -- tall, heavy set, usually laughing and/or ranting a purple streak about someone or something. His rants smacked of manic stand-up comedy and invariably had me in stitches.

Like me he had abidingly "old-school" perspectives on sports and of course, loved the Patriots. We saw eye-to-eye on most things, including enmity for the despicable Jete. He was convinced Roger Goodell is a criminal and even did research on it. A few years ago -- I think it was during the pandemic -- I took time off from posting during a down period with little energy or enthusiasm for mustering another "Jets Suck" annual thread kickoff. In an uncharacteristically kind and gentle way, Jeff phoned me a couple times to share how much the thread meant to him and a few other diehards. Without his persistent nudges it probably would have ended then and there.

Jeff was one of a kind, at least to me. He attended the original Woodstock festival, graduated from Boston University, played guitar, never married but loved the ladies and lived alone in a mobile home with his pet cat. He was widely traveled.

Whenever someone passes on, the usual sentiment is "RIP" -- rest in peace. I never have liked that. I prefer to think our souls are on a continuum, the next plane of existence brimming with love, exuberance, fellowship and adventure, free of physical pain or limitation. So have fun up there, J.O. Jeffy. And remember to save us some shrimp!

Thanks for this Tunescribe. Nicely done and I’m sure well appreciated by all.

As everyone on this Forum knows, he had a certain on-line persona with lots of grousing, exclamation points and over the top opinions and "takes". It was often hysterically funny. Especially his takes on a certain NFL Commissioner. :)

However, I remember one post of his where he completely dropped the usual on-line persona and it was one of the most serious, well-written, reflective and moving posts I've ever seen on this board. I wish I could remember it better (and it might have been years ago), but he talked about his struggles with the loss of the love of his life (although they weren't together at the time of her death) in some type of extremely unfortunate, preventable and untimely fashion, I can't remember if it was a traffic accident or being at the wrong place at the wrong time, or what. However, that post on his struggles with her death was so poignant and well written that I still remember it years later, he clearly was an excellent writer when he wanted to be.

Rest in Peace Joker.
Sadly, I can relate. I'm Irish, so it comes with the territory, apparently.

Mrs. APF never been interested in anything prior to us. She's probably right to do so.

Reactions: Ian
He wasn't much of a drinker, I never saw him seek it out. My sense is he had reason to avoid it. But I will add that the times we were together he was behind the wheel before and after.

We were enmeshed in the type of deep Pats, music and venue convo that only a New Englander coming of age in the 60's and 70's could understand or appreciate. I distinctly recall him blasting the Sullivans for (among MANY other things) naming the old cement bowl for (his words) a "2nd rate local beer instead of a regional winner like 'Gannsett"

We were enmeshed in the type of deep Pats, music and venue convo that only a New Englander coming of age in the 60's and 70's could understand or appreciate. I distinctly recall him blasting the Sullivans for (among MANY other things) naming the old cement bowl for (his words) a "2nd rate local beer instead of a regional winner like 'Gannsett"
Well, the old stadium did change from that. Problem was, it should have been a pioneer in naming rights. Could have been named "CAAM Stadium - Brought to you by The Center for Alcoholism and Anger Management"

There were 2 posters on here that always had me laughing. One has been gone for a while it seems (he had the crazy Irish guy from the movie Braveheart as his avatar) and the other was Joker. As many have said a response or a like from Joker was like a badge of honour.

I remember in one of the music forms he posted about seeing and I believe hanging with Aerosmith back in the days when they were just a Boston club band. He was a true character who seemed to live a real interesting life.

This was done based on a recent photo provided but if you click on the "Winner" reaction, this is now it:

Joker_PF_Winner_Icon_Hat.png

So no more "Josh McDaniels"? :rolleyes:

No offense but shouldn't our Joker be replacing "Ugh" or whatever emoji most commonly gets used for "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FECKIN' MIND?"

Last edited:
So no more "Josh McDaniels"? :rolleyes:

No offense but shouldn't our Joker be replacing "Ugh" or whatever emoji most commonly gets used for "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FECKIN" MIND?"
I hear what you're saying. But he basically came into any thread and essentially demolished whatever argument there was and didn't care what anyone thought. So it felt like it made sense to use that one. Although, @maust, I agree on the ugh - just didn't seem like the right one and we don't really have one that reaches the level that it would have made sense to use it for.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back