PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vellano and Thompkins make Mel Kiper Jr. midseason list of top rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I was a bit surprised that Chris Jones didn’t make the list. Vellano checks in at 23 and Thompkins at 28.

1. Sheldon Richardson, DT, New York Jets He's been a solid, steady performer week after week for the Jets. It's interesting to note that Richardson is the top rookie defensive lineman in the NFL right now and former Jets first-rounder Muhammad Wilkerson is right there among the the top overall defensive lineman in the NFL at this point. Richardson is particularly dominant against the run, with great vision and a sense of where the ball is headed. Rex Ryan has to be thrilled with the line he has right now, and second-year man Damon Harrison has also been outstanding.
2. Kiko Alonso , ILB, Buffalo Production, athleticism, instincts and passion for the game are what get your attention. The former Oregon Duck is currently leading the Bills defense with 70 tackles, while also recording a sack and coming away with four interceptions. He's all over the field right now, and you can tie Alonso's presence to an overall improvement for the defense, given his versatility and that he never comes off the field. He struggled against the Bengals two weeks ago but has looked good since.
3. Kenny Vaccaro , S, New Orleans He's played nothing close to mistake-free football, but he doesn't come off the field for a defense that is giving up 102 fewer yards per game than they did last year. Vaccaro's best area has been in coverage, and he simply needs to be more consistent both in his routes and his tackling. But he's made a difference. He's also made some big plays, including the game-saver against Atlanta.
4. Star Lotulelei , DT, Carolina His combination of power and quickness makes life miserable for opposing guards and centers. The way he disrupts a blocking scheme allows MLB Luke Kuechly to flow to the football and lead the Panthers defense in tackles. What you end up with is a player who is already one of the best run-game disruptors in the NFL, both through his own ability to create stops and because he occupies blocks so well.
5. Alec Ogletree , LB, St. Louis His speed and athleticism fits today's pass-happy NFL perfectly. The former Georgia Bulldog has been a key entity on defense for the Rams, making his presence felt in a variety of ways. Ogletree is second on the team with 51 tackles, just four behind MLB James Laurinaitis . He's also broken up four passes and come away with an interception that he returned for a touchdown. He overruns plays and can miss reads, but he'll get better.
6. Geno Smith , QB, New York Jets He's battled through some rough games and shown tremendous resiliency, leading the Jets to four wins in the early going, which is more wins than 18 teams in the NFL. I thought going into the 2013 campaign that the Jets would win only 4-5 games the entire season. Smith bounced back from a poor performance against the Steelers to lead the Jets to an upset victory over Tom Brady and the Pats this past Sunday. What impressed me with Smith was his ability to convert critical third down opportunities, while again showing that he can beat a defense with his arm and his legs. Is he a starter on most teams? Probably not. But I liked the pick, and I like what he's made of his situation.
7. Keenan Allen , WR, San Diego Maybe he's a little high based on aggregate performance, but this shows some respect for the trend line. After a slow start (not uncommon for a rookie wide receiver) he's now tied for the team lead in targets among WRs with 37, and has 23 of his 26 receptions over the last four games. Allen is a first-round talent that lasted until the third because he couldn't get healthy during the draft process. The Chargers are reaping the benefits.
8. Tyrann Mathieu , S, Arizona When we'd have meetings in preparation for the draft, Jon Gruden would argue that Mathieu was worth a first-round pick because of his natural football instincts and his ability as a playmaker. Gruden was right. Mathieu looks like a steal at this point, has played over 400 snaps, can play slot, safety, come on blitzes and, so far, do pretty much everything well. He's a football player.
9. Eric Reid , S, San Francisco He's only fifth on the team in tackles, but he's been a big-play performer as a rookie starter in the 49ers deep patrol. Reid has broken up five passes, picked off three passes -- he had two last year at LSU -- and also recovered a fumble. If he can limit missed tackles, he's a contender for defensive rookie of the year.
10. Jordan Reed , TE, Washington Flying up the board. He moves into the top 10 after a spectacular performance this past Sunday against the Bears. He's currently second on the team with 26 receptions, two of which have gone for TDs. The super-talented pass-catching TE has become a key go-to guy for RG III. He dropped to the third round after some so-so combine numbers -- particularly an average 40 time for a guy pegged as an athletic tight end -- but he's showing he can play.
11. Giovani Bernard , RB, Cincinnati He hasn't been able to break off a big run and has seen his average yards per carry drop in recent weeks, but his role in the offense is more defined, and his versatility is obvious. With Bernard, you have to talk about the role in the passing game. He's already hauled in 25 receptions and is on pace for about 1,400 total yards, and it's still early.
12. Desmond Trufant , CB, Atlanta He got off to just an OK start but has improved over the last four weeks, and is now playing like the best corner the Falcons have -- and Asante Samuel is a part of that secondary. Trufant's great strength is that he doesn't have a distinct weakness. He covers well, limits yards after the catch and maintains his versatility.
13. Eddie Lacy , RB, Green Bay I'm giving a bump based on recent performance and trajectory, and because he missed time after a cheap shot. Lacy has been good when he's played, but missed basically three full games after taking that shot to the head against Washington. A full 301 of his 352 rushing yards for the season have come over the last three games. And more importantly, he looks capable of truly diversifying the Packers offense, which says a lot.
14. Travis Frederick , C, Dallas He got abused early in a matchup with Dontari Poe of the Chiefs, but he's bounced back and has combined with veteran free-agent signee Brian Waters to solidify the interior of the Cowboys offensive line, which had been a major weak link in previous seasons. I didn't love the value of the draft slot, but Frederick is making the pick look good so far.
15. DeAndre Hopkins , WR, Houston I'm giving Hopkins the benefit of the doubt because the QB play has suffered in recent weeks and his totals have as well. I had him ranked higher early, with 18 of his 28 receptions coming during the first three games of the season. Good hands and explosiveness after the catch will keep him valuable.
16. Terrance Williams, WR, Dallas: On pace to join the top 10, Tony Romo appears to trust him.
17. Larry Warford, OG, Detroit: Play has dipped lately, but still a solid starter out of Round 3.
18. D.J. Fluker, OT, San Diego: It's clear he belongs on the right side. But he'll be a good one there.
19. David Bakhtiari, OT, Green Bay: A slow start has given way to steady play. And on a vital blindside.
20. Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Detroit: Steady against the run, he's still searching as a pass-rusher.
21. Barkevious Mingo, OLB, Cleveland: Still more flash than consistent production.
22. Kawann Short, DT, Carolina: Will see more time at the rate he produces.
23. Joe Vellano, DT, New England: Pressed into action, he's been good. Chris Jones has been as well.
24. Tyler Eifert, TE, Cincinnati: Just needs more targets. Even when covered, he can bring it in.
25. Marcus Cooper, CB, Kansas City: Undrafted out of Rutgers, he's making waves so far.
26. Kyle Long, OG, Chicago: Steady as a run-blocker, he needs to pass-protect better.
27. Kayvon Webster, CB, Denver: The third-rounder has stepped up for Denver.
28. Kenbrell Thompkins, WR, New England: Uneven play, but the potential is obvious. Needs time.
29. EJ Manuel, QB, Buffalo: He's a legacy pick, but put up some good early results.
30. J.J. Wilcox, S, Dallas: Strong play in recent weeks. I thought he might make it as a rookie starter and he has.
31. Jordan Mills, OT, Chicago: Has struggled after a good start, but holds down a starting spot.
32. Robert Woods, WR, Buffalo: Uneven QB play has hampered his production.
33. Andre Ellington, RB, Arizona: Can run it and catch it, not a distant reach from Bernard's production.
34. Tavon Austin, WR, St. Louis: The yardage is light, but starting to pile up the catches and targets.
35. Eric Fisher, OT, Kansas City: Maligned because of draft slot expectations, he's starting to play better.
36. Mike Glennon, QB, Tampa Bay: Up and down, but could crack the top 20 soon.

NFL - AFC East stars are at the top of Mel Kiper's rookie rankings - ESPN

Mel Kiper Jr. is always good for a laugh.

Umm Chris Jones is mentioned right there at 23 in the list you quoted. I wish we had picked up one of those premier run stopping DTs in the last draft.

We've been talking for ages about how Wilfork needed a successor and we didn't have one in place when he went down. Still nervous about this team's DL situation especially with Kelly and Mayo out as well.

Hope to see Vellano improve, but don't really have a lot of high expectations for a UDFA once he faces elite competition. We need to improve depth at that position badly.

At least he gets a pseudo-shout out. I'm guessing another good game or two and we'll see him bumped up past a few guys on this list.

Kiper probably pulls the latter half of this list from small pieces of paper stored in his hair like a bingo ball machine, so it might just have been a little bad luck he didn't get picked.

Umm Chris Jones is mentioned right there at 23 in the list you quoted. I wish we had picked up one of those premier run stopping DTs in the last draft.

His name is mentioned but he did not make the list, Vellano was #23 and context is say Chris Jones has played well too but he was not ranked.

Pro tip: Make better use of the enter key in the future. :D

Both Jones and Vellano have been pleasant surprises. I'd still rather see one/both as rotational guys at this stage of their career, but for what they were designed to offer us, they've been quite good. I don't think we ever planned to lose VW for the full season, meaning these guys were supposed to be situational rushers. The big part of their game that is lacking is short yardage, but hopefully Kelly can help with that once he is healthy again.

Are we sure he didn't just pick names out of a hat?

Are we sure he didn't just pick names out of a hat?

The only ones in his top 10 I disagree with are Ogletree and Reid - both have flashed studly ability but also made crippling, boneheaded mistakes.

Richardson, Alonso, Lotuleilei and Vaccaro have all immediately stepped in and played at a near-Pro Bowl level.

I don't understand why the rookie sack leader isn't in his top 36 and just gets a mention in his teammate's blurb.

This isn't a bad analysis. I expect that as the season continues, Chris Jones will be on the list.

Thomkins has actually disappointed me. I just don't think he's very good.

Not meaning to be one of those bitter hindsight guys, but damn....Mo Wilkerson was MY guy coming out in 2011.

We had a golden chance to take him and passed. Out of all of the lost players in the draft recently, this is the one that bothers me the most. It just seemed like such a no-brainer.

I think the fact that he was a UDFA shows that he's good enough to beat out a bunch of drafted WR's--many of them in the top few rounds.

He's definitely raw, but he also has noticeable talent too (IMO). I think we see him progress in the next season or two.

That's silly.
One can argue that KT has been given more accolades than he yet deserves, however, he's an UDFA who came in and beat out higher regarded picks to be on pace for 50 catches at 14.5 yard per catch and 9 TDs. That is "not very good" only in the illogical world of amateur sports commentating.

Chris Jones > Vellano.

Debatable. Honestly they appear to very close in capability and that is the current problem. Having one or the other matched up with a better (or at least current better) is workable. Having them matched up next to each other as the starting part of an inside DL is skating on thin ice.

Having them matched up next to each other as the starting part of an inside DL is skating on thin ice.

Yes, that is definitely contributing to the problem, and the loss of Mayo behind them is likely just amplifying that issue.

Boy, I should would have liked to see another capable vet brought in, at least for competition anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back