PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Urban Meyer says Tim Tebow still hopes for a career in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for what Tebow did do on the field with the offense, the O Coordinator was Tony Sparano. Guy was clearly in over his head which is why the Jets fired him at the end of the season and why he's still only an offensive line coach now with the Raiders.

Tony liked to talk about how he "brought the Wildcat to the NFL" but that is patently absurd. Dan Henning and David Lee are the ones who were responsible for the Wildcat in Miami. When Tebow was sent in, everyone watching knew that he was going to be in the shotgun and was going to run the ball up the middle. Shocking. Hell, Jet's players and even Mike Westhoff questioned and shook their heads at how badly the Jets misused Tebow.

Oh, OK, I get it, it's Tony's fault.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Sparano may be the key to the vast global conspiracy against Tim Tebow.

Tim Tebow may never play as an NFL quarterback, but he has generated more responses than just about any Patriot non player in the history of this forum.

Tebow sucks, after three attempts in three different teams and being passed over all of last year by teams who needed to bring in substitute quarterbacks.. time to hang it up and find something different.

So, Tebow gets released by the Jets and ends up here in New England. Many posters here called it from the outset when they said that Bill would only carry 2 QBs on the roster. Tebow came in right at the start of training camp IIRC. So, he was supposed to learn the playbook, develop some kind of rapport with the receiving corps and the offense, and beat out Ryan Mallet who had been here in the system for 2 years already ?

Tebow came to NE on Josh McDaniels recommendation, and definitely had his support. Unfortunately for him he played like crap when given his chance.

My bad. It's Mallett's fault.

Has any player ever been treated as unfairly as Tim Tebow?

Maybe Roger Staubach?

So Steve Young and Roger Staubach's opinions on Tim's football skills aren't valid because they have shared religous beliefs?

No, their opinions aren't valid because they are clearly wrong. Their religious beliefs are just the reason they are the ones speaking,

Yup, Andy refuses to give Tim any credit for his wins or what he does well in football.
I totally give him all the credit he deserves. They won those games despite poor QB play. Thats just a fact. If the team with the worst LG in the NFL wins 13 games this year, does that make him better than he is?

In addition, Andy believes that if a retired QB like Steve Young says positive stuff about Tebow's football skills, it's because of their shared beliefs.
Nope, not what I said. What I said was those comments pale in comparison to the actions of 32 teams which clearly indicated everyone paid to make NFL personel decisions disagree with Young. The religious part should be obvious. They share a set of beliefs, take them very seriously, so of course the comments are going to be slanted positively. It doesn't matter, Young could be a heathen, and his comments would still smack of poor analysis, which he is becoming famous for.

I'm not falling into your pedantic trap, that was just a small example, I also mentioned him geeing up the D and they went out and got a stop in a game where they were awful, again just another small example but there are so many and when you add them all up they form a pattern. Then you have a player like future HoFamer Champ Bailey lauding him and others that played with him at the Broncos.
If you seriously are going to give credit for a defensive stop to the QB cheering for them, there isn't much point in discussion.

He showed his leadership in multiple games. He showed his clutchness in many games.
Once again claiming his leadership is an attribute and advantage requires proving it has an impact, and that his impact exceeds the normal NFL QB.

I've said all along that he does not have great QB skills. I'm not saying he has what it takes to make it at the NFL level, just that he has inspirational leadership qualities and clutchness. Those on their own are not enough to make him good enough at the NFL level.
Then what are your arguing? Of course the guy has attributes, they just do not add up to enough to be an NFL QB. He was one of the best college QBs ever. He just can't play in the NFL. That has happened to many QBs.

The strange thing though is that he did succeed in Denver as a starter and has a W in the playoffs in the only season he had a chance to get his team there. But you of course claim they won in spite of him despite one of his former teammates saying that everybody bought in more because he was able to succeed even without the great skills.
They did win in spite of him, thats pretty obvious. I don't get how you want to take the comments of teammates who obivously liked him, while they are trying to be supportive, and somehow take the plays they made and give him credit for them. The Bronco defense carried them because they were good and made plays, not because Tebow psyched them up.

You for some reason seem to want to take all credit away from him on every level.
I give him full credit for his role. I would consider Joe Vellano to be the worst starter on the 12-4 Patriots last year. They went 12-4 in spite of him. If all players on the team played at his level they would have won less than 3 games. That doesn't mean I am taking credit away from Vellano for the team winning 12 games with him being a part of it, but that I am assigning the correct amount of credit. Unlike you I do not give mystical credit for some intangible effect that you are giving him for the play of others because he cheered them on.

I did find where you said Orton would have won all those games too if Denver had the same offensive philosophy which was to run the ball and throw very little. I say no way Orton does that. The change to Tebow made the difference in turning things around.

No you are misinterpreting what I said, which is that the change in scheme made the team better, and if they changed the scheme and used a QB who threw the ball better they would have done as well or better.
In the 4 games Orton played before being removed, he threw the ball 46,39,32 and 25 times. The 25 was a win. The D allowed and average of 27.8ppg. 2 of the losses were by 3 points. In Tebows starts the D allowed 22.7 ppg and in the 7 wins they allowed only 16.8.
In Tebows starts they threw the ball an average of 24 times a game.
The shift to playing conservative, relying on the kicking game and defense is why they improved. If they did that AND threw the ball more effectively when they threw it, they would have been better. Its pretty obvious.

No you are misinterpreting what I said, which is that the change in scheme made the team better, and if they changed the scheme and used a QB who threw the ball better they would have done as well or better.
In the 4 games Orton played before being removed, he threw the ball 46,39,32 and 25 times. The 25 was a win. The D allowed and average of 27.8ppg. 2 of the losses were by 3 points. In Tebows starts the D allowed 22.7 ppg and in the 7 wins they allowed only 16.8.
In Tebows starts they threw the ball an average of 24 times a game.
The shift to playing conservative, relying on the kicking game and defense is why they improved. If they did that AND threw the ball more effectively when they threw it, they would have been better. Its pretty obvious.

Ok, I see where you're coming from. I still disagree that anyone besides Tebow on that team gets all those wins.

Tim Tebow's problems with his mechanics aren't due to a lack of practice or efforts to change them, they are due to his reverting to his lifetime form when he is in real game situations, and no amount of practice will cure that without real game experience. And if you are a fan of Tebow you better hope he decides to go to the CFL because he isn't getting a job in the NFL without it, and one more year in the booth and he is done.

And yes, if he refuses to go to the CFL or play in any other league then it is definitely a matter of entitlement if he is being honest about becoming a starting NFL QB as his real goal.

Before in game experience, he needs to actually fix the mechanics. I'm going to guess that you didn't watch the video. House and his partner talk about how much Tebow has to fix. Tebow himself talks about how they are changing things that no one else ever addressed.

Once those fundamentals are "learned" by the mind, THEN you have put in thousands and thousands of reps to burn it into your muscle memory.

ONCE that is done, THEN you start looking at game time reps and learning to do it under fire in live time situations.

He has failed in 2 out of 3, he was successful in denver but a unique opportunity presented itself to them and he lost out because of it. However he then could not beat out one of the worst QB's in football and then played like complete crap when NE gave him a last chance.

He could always try and prove people are wrong about him. Or not? That's his decision. So far he chooses TV.

Is it Tannenbaum's fault?

Dude, there was NO QB "competition" when Tebow went to the Jets. Rex was adamant about the fact that Sanchez was the starter from the second the Tebow trade hit the wires.

Like I said, Rex had tied himself to Sanchez the second that the Jets traded up to take Sanchez at #6 and they doubled down on him with the contract extension.

You will probably say that NFL coaches want to win, and that Rex definitely would have started Tebow if he was better than Sanchez. History of the league tells us differently. Jax wasted 3 years with Blaine Gabbert. Minnesota did it with Ponder. Jerry Jones continues to do it with Jason Garret remaining on as head coach no matter how many times they miss the playoffs.

Teams make all sorts of stupid decisions and then double down on them routinely.

Before in game experience, he needs to actually fix the mechanics. I'm going to guess that you didn't watch the video. House and his partner talk about how much Tebow has to fix. Tebow himself talks about how they are changing things that no one else ever addressed.

Once those fundamentals are "learned" by the mind, THEN you have put in thousands and thousands of reps to burn it into your muscle memory.

ONCE that is done, THEN you start looking at game time reps and learning to do it under fire in live time situations.

He can change his mechanics but he can't change how mentally slow he is to read a defense. His brain works really slowly, like it's stuck in molasses in wintertime. Doesn't mean he's stupid but ssssllllloooowww.. That's why he startes down receivers and can't hit the 2nd option.

I guess he could ask Jesus for a brain transplant, but maybe it's not part of God's perfect plan for him.

I really don't believe you are putting this on Rex's wife so it must be Rex's fault.

Let's say this. You are shooting for a promotion at work because the guy currently holding that position sucks. You then find out that the head of your department has a tattoo of his wife with THAT GUY's name on a jersey.

Do you think you'd actually have any shot of taking the job away from that guy ?

Oh, OK, I get it, it's Tony's fault.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Sparano may be the key to the vast global conspiracy against Tim Tebow.

It's not a vast global conspiracy, but rather getting thrown from one bad situation to one that's even worse.

Let's say this. You are shooting for a promotion at work because the guy currently holding that position sucks. You then find out that the head of your department has a tattoo of his wife with THAT GUY's name on a jersey.

Do you think you'd actually have any shot of taking the job away from that guy ?

It's not a vast global conspiracy, but rather getting thrown from one bad situation to one that's even worse.

So why did they not play him when Sanchez was pulled? Because he was so horrible in practice that they couldn't in good conscience, put this trainwreck of a player in. They had hopes for him, not that he'd take the top job, but he was just so awful they couldn't make it work.

Why would they have traded for him in the first place if they had no intention of ever playing him?

Was NE even worse? Gave him plenty of preseason reps, probably more than Mallett. He was egregiously, horrificially bad. What's the excuse for that one? Only had a couple months to learn the play book?

Tebow came to NE on Josh McDaniels recommendation, and definitely had his support. Unfortunately for him he played like crap when given his chance.

My bad. It's Mallett's fault.

Has any player ever been treated as unfairly as Tim Tebow?

Maybe Roger Staubach?

Sure, he had McDaniels recommendation. As Joker noted, IF the Pats had decided that they should carry 3 QBs, Tebow might have made it.

But, they only carried 2 for the entire season. So, Tebow would have needed to beat out either Brady or Mallet. No chance on beating out Brady, that's a given. So we have Mallet. IIRC, Tebow had the Pats playbook for a matter of weeks before the preseason ?

Mallet had a clear advantage as he already knew the plays and the playbook since he had been here for 2 years already.

Chew on this one. People gave Brady a pass for how he looked most of the season, because he was throwing the ball to rookies who had growing pains. Common thought was that it was taking the young receivers time to learn and grow into the offense.

All a receiver needs to do is learn HIS routes and focus on what HE is supposed to do on any given play. The QB on the other hand has to know what EVERY WR will be doing on every single play.

If you all cut the receiver some slack because they are trying to pick up and grow into a difficult offense, it stands to reason that a QB with 2 years in the system would do better than someone who had the playbook for 5 weeks or so.

Sure, he had McDaniels recommendation. As Joker noted, IF the Pats had decided that they should carry 3 QBs, Tebow might have made it.

But, they only carried 2 for the entire season. So, Tebow would have needed to beat out either Brady or Mallet. No chance on beating out Brady, that's a given. So we have Mallet. IIRC, Tebow had the Pats playbook for a matter of weeks before the preseason ?

Mallet had a clear advantage as he already knew the plays and the playbook since he had been here for 2 years already.

Chew on this one. People gave Brady a pass for how he looked most of the season, because he was throwing the ball to rookies who had growing pains. Common thought was that it was taking the young receivers time to learn and grow into the offense.

All a receiver needs to do is learn HIS routes and focus on what HE is supposed to do on any given play. The QB on the other hand has to know what EVERY WR will be doing on every single play.

If you all cut the receiver some slack because they are trying to pick up and grow into a difficult offense, it stands to reason that a QB with 2 years in the system would do better than someone who had the playbook for 5 weeks or so.

It wasn't just that "the pats didn't keep 3 QBs", it was that Tebow was AWFUL. HORRIBLE. EGREGIOUSLY, COMICALLY BAD. He wasn't just "well he didn't have quite the time to learn the playbook". No. When throwing he started down receivers and threw it over their heads or into the ground with his slow motion windup delivery! HE SUCKS.

I can't believe you're comparing Brady's season to that dog crap Tebow produced.

If he had potential, the Pats would have kept him whether he was 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. They kept Brady didn't they? They even carried Brady on the active roster ... 4qbs.

There's no anti-Tebow conspiracy...just an anti-crap play conspiracy. I don't give a crap if the Broncos won the Super Bowl that year, the kid is crap at the NFL level.

So why did they not play him when Sanchez was pulled? Because he was so horrible in practice that they couldn't in good conscience, put this trainwreck of a player in. They had hopes for him, not that he'd take the top job, but he was just so awful they couldn't make it work.

Why would they have traded for him in the first place if they had no intention of ever playing him?

Was NE even worse? Gave him plenty of preseason reps, probably more than Mallett. He was egregiously, horrificially bad. What's the excuse for that one? Only had a couple months to learn the play book?

Stop and think about it. Sanchez played like crap for most of the season and should have been benched by the 8th game or so. But Rex didn't do it. He kept sending Sanchez out there no matter how badly he played.

What would it have said about Rex if he FINALLY benched Sanchez in week 13 or 14, put Tebow in as the starter and the Jets won ??

McElroy was never a threat to take Sanchez's job, so it was safe to put him in for a game or two when Rex FINALLY got to the point where he HAD to bench Sanchez.

I can't believe you're comparing Brady's season to that dog crap Tebow produced.

If he had potential, the Pats would have kept him whether he was 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. They kept Brady didn't they? They even carried Brady on the active roster ... 4qbs.

There's no anti-Tebow conspiracy...just an anti-crap play conspiracy. I don't give a crap if the Broncos won the Super Bowl that year, the kid is crap at the NFL level.

Why shouldn't I compare ? Brady had games early in the season where he threw for under 50% comp and/or less than 200 yards. We all know Brady is the GOAT, so it wasn't him.

In this offense, WRs have to see how the defense is lined up and run the correct route based on that alignment. After figuring out which route they are supposed to run, they have to run that route accurately as the QB is throwing to a spot. IF the receiver runs the wrong route or they run the route incorrectly, the pass is probably going to be incomplete. Hence, Brady's lower completion %, lower yards per game, lower QB rating.

If Tom Brady is out there having trouble connecting to the best WRs that the Pats could put on the field, how in the world would you expect the 3rd string QB to look good throwing to guys who are no longer on the roster ?

And no, this isn't some conspiracy. The coaching staff here is more than smart enough to know and understand what I've just laid out. They know the plays that were called. They have film showing how the defenses were aligned. They can see what routes were run and how they looked.

Newflash for you, coaches in preseason don't judge a QB based on his stats. A QB could have a stat line that reads 1 for 13 and the coaches could be quite pleased with what he did.

Why shouldn't I compare ? Brady had games early in the season where he threw for under 50% comp and/or less than 200 yards. We all know Brady is the GOAT, so it wasn't him.

In this offense, WRs have to see how the defense is lined up and run the correct route based on that alignment. After figuring out which route they are supposed to run, they have to run that route accurately as the QB is throwing to a spot. IF the receiver runs the wrong route or they run the route incorrectly, the pass is probably going to be incomplete. Hence, Brady's lower completion %, lower yards per game, lower QB rating.

If Tom Brady is out there having trouble connecting to the best WRs that the Pats could put on the field, how in the world would you expect the 3rd string QB to look good throwing to guys who are no longer on the roster ?

And no, this isn't some conspiracy. The coaching staff here is more than smart enough to know and understand what I've just laid out. They know the plays that were called. They have film showing how the defenses were aligned. They can see what routes were run and how they looked.

Newflash for you, coaches in preseason don't judge a QB based on his stats. A QB could have a stat line that reads 1 for 13 and the coaches could be quite pleased with what he did.

You don't know what you're talking about. You're not even worth the discussion...just another of the Tebowites who can't get over the fact that no one wants him and yes, the coaching staff was smart enough to know that the guy wasn't worth carrying on a roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST