PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Urban Meyer says Tim Tebow still hopes for a career in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop and think about it. Sanchez played like crap for most of the season and should have been benched by the 8th game or so. But Rex didn't do it. He kept sending Sanchez out there no matter how badly he played.

What would it have said about Rex if he FINALLY benched Sanchez in week 13 or 14, put Tebow in as the starter and the Jets won ??

McElroy was never a threat to take Sanchez's job, so it was safe to put him in for a game or two when Rex FINALLY got to the point where he HAD to bench Sanchez.

It would have said that he put Tebow in and he won in week 13. According to the Jets players who were THERE, Tebow WAS HORRIBLE IN PRACTICE. That's why they didn't put him in. HE SUCKED. "No, no, it's more complicated....see Tebow would WIN and then the coach would look BAD for not having played him BEFORE!...Yeah, that's the ticket". Whatever, you are DELUSIONAL.

You don't know what you're talking about. You're not even worth the discussion...just another of the Tebowites who can't get over the fact that no one wants him and yes, the coaching staff was smart enough to know that the guy wasn't worth carrying on a roster.

I'm going to wager that you offered absolutely nothing to counter anything I said, because you can't. Rather, you tried to just dismiss it as if I don't know what I'm talking about.

It would have said that he put Tebow in and he won in week 13. According to the Jets players who were THERE, Tebow WAS HORRIBLE IN PRACTICE. That's why they didn't put him in. HE SUCKED. "No, no, it's more complicated....see Tebow would WIN and then the coach would look BAD for not having played him BEFORE!...Yeah, that's the ticket". Whatever, you are DELUSIONAL.

And there were also players who said that Tebow should have been given a shot, and coaches like Westhoff who disagreed with how things were done.

Tim Tebow may never play as an NFL quarterback, but he has generated more responses than just about any Patriot non player in the history of this forum.

Tebow sucks, after three attempts in three different teams and being passed over all of last year by teams who needed to bring in substitute quarterbacks.. time to hang it up and find something different.

Not a bad year in 2011 for a qb that supposedly sucks DarrylS. There are starters in this league that would wish for that kind of year. Honestly it's a good debate, I like the guy and hope he plays again. I think it's a longshot and think there is little chance he'll play again.
Seems like he has found something to fall back on with tv and entertainment. "Bottom line contracts hold you back." LOL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTaH-OtUv94

It is really sad to see the downright hate Tim is receiving by some.:(

Ok, I see where you're coming from. I still disagree that anyone besides Tebow on that team gets all those wins.

Given that the QB play was poor, I can't see how better QB play wouldn't have made them a better team.

AndyJohnson:

Tebow is NOT a starting NFL QB; certainly not for an extended period of time. BUT, he was the best option for that Denver team at THAT TIME. With him, the offensive system needed to be changed entirely, into an uncoventional, more direct, and straight-forward system, which eased and encouraged lineman aggressiveness.

You can make the claim that a players skills won't translate to constant NFL success in any system, but you can't claim that he didn't make it happen (sort of) in his opportunity.

The Broncos D came together and the offense had some clutch points in low-scoring games too... but all in all: THE BRONCOS WERE A LOT BETTER WITH TEBOW THAN KYLE ORTON, WHETHER IT WAS PLAYCALLING, OR COINCIDENCE.

-Jmd (jk)

This is so funny to see this thread still bobbing around when actual NFL transactions are being made.

Yes, a QB could run the wishbone and win a few games with a good defense. Doesn't make him an NFL quarterback.

I wish some team would start him for a whole season just for laughs. It's comedy gold watching his fans root for this special Olympics level player.

It is really sad to see the downright hate Tim is receiving by some.:(

What you fail to see is that it is the excuse making and refusal to look at Tebow critically by his staunch supporters that incites most of the vitriol directed at Tebow. personally I think he's a good person and a hard worker who belongs in the college football hall of fame, and he was successful in his stint in Denver, however he was an abject failure in NY and was atrocious in his time in NE, and his refusal to accept anything less than an NFL QB position flies directly in the face of his often stated goal of becoming an NFL QB again someday.He can work out 24 hours a day for as long as he wants but the hurdle he has to overcome to ever become an NFL QB again is to be able to throw accurately under duress, and the only way to do that is in live action, and as it stands the CFL is the only serious option for him to get that opportunity, so imo he is simply leading his millions of fans on by allowing them to dream that he will be playing QB for an NFL team again someday, because if he continues with his current approach that is never going to happen. And that isn't because of some grand conspiracy against him because of his faith, because any GM in football would sign him if they believed he could win games for them, however all 32 teams have reached the conclusion that he cannot do that, and there is only one way to overcome that doubt and prove them all wrong, unfortunately for his fans he refuses to play in a lesser league than the NFL, even though that league was good enough for NFL Hall of Famers to play in. So instead of making endless excuses for him and blaming his failures on everyone else his real fans should encourage him to sit down and talk to Warren Moon and then go win a starting job in the CFL and try to use that to someday get another chance at the NFL.

What you fail to see is that it is the excuse making and refusal to look at Tebow critically by his staunch supporters that incites most of the vitriol directed at Tebow. personally I think he's a good person and a hard worker who belongs in the college football hall of fame, and he was successful in his stint in Denver, however he was an abject failure in NY and was atrocious in his time in NE, and his refusal to accept anything less than an NFL QB position flies directly in the face of his often stated goal of becoming an NFL QB again someday.He can work out 24 hours a day for as long as he wants but the hurdle he has to overcome to ever become an NFL QB again is to be able to throw accurately under duress, and the only way to do that is in live action, and as it stands the CFL is the only serious option for him to get that opportunity, so imo he is simply leading his millions of fans on by allowing them to dream that he will be playing QB for an NFL team again someday, because if he continues with his current approach that is never going to happen. And that isn't because of some grand conspiracy against him because of his faith, because any GM in football would sign him if they believed he could win games for them, however all 32 teams have reached the conclusion that he cannot do that, and there is only one way to overcome that doubt and prove them all wrong, unfortunately for his fans he refuses to play in a lesser league than the NFL, even though that league was good enough for NFL Hall of Famers to play in. So instead of making endless excuses for him and blaming his failures on everyone else his real fans should encourage him to sit down and talk to Warren Moon and then go win a starting job in the CFL and try to use that to someday get another chance at the NFL.

See, it's bull**** like this that really chaps my ass. You want to claim that you supposedly look at Tebow "critically" and accuse Tebow supporters of not doing so.

His supposed failure in New York is directly the fault of the Jet's coaching staff, specifically, Rex Ryan and Tony "I Brought the Wildcat to the NFL" Sparano.

As for his time in New England, iirc, Tebow's first preseason game came after a whopping 2 weeks of practice with the Pats. Remember, he was signed after minicamp. Just how well did you expect him to do in that limited amount of time ?

I've already explained why your position vis a vis the CFL is completely wrong. You don't go to another league and sit on the bench or play as the starter when you are trying to fix/change your mechanics. Those teams are trying to win games and the coaches and players are going to spend the practice time working on installing the game plan, NOT on fixing QB mechanics. If you will, think about golfers who take time off from the PGA tour to go fix or retool their swing.

Once the changes are made, THEN it would be time to get into game time / live fire situations.

Find it interesting that all the talent evaluators in the NFL(GM's) failed to bring Tim in for a look see during all of the QB injuries last season...

That is the barometer of whether he can or cannot make it in the NFL, there were some desperate teams last year who could have used a veteran quarterback. But no one even talked to Tim... interesting.

The final indicator will be whether or not he gets an invite to a training camp in late July.. if he does not get one, he is done...

What you fail to see is that it is the excuse making and refusal to look at Tebow critically by his staunch supporters that incites most of the vitriol directed at Tebow.

You guys don't seem very self-aware. I took a headcount, and this rather long-ish thread contains posts from 25 posters who are identifiably negative toward Tebow, and 8 who are positive. Surely you can see that he attracts an unusual share of vitriol, and I think it's a cop-out to always justify it because of some paper hats on the internet.

Some people just tend to root for the ugly duckling, the one that comes along and everybody says he can't do it because he doesn't fit the mold. And some people enjoy enforcing the mold, reminding everyone why it is the mold. In the long run, most of the time conventional wisdom wins out and displays why it is the conventional wisdom. But there's nothing wrong with rooting for a guy that's got a lot of good things to root for. Most of these QB's wash out anyway, if you really sit back and look. Even the "can't miss" that are constantly held up as the mold.

You are incorrect. Go back and look at the stats.

Tim Tebow Game By Game Stats and Performance - ESPN

About 2/3rd of the games he was okay to great... 1/3 was subpar to crappy. But 4 OT wins... including 316 yards and 2 TD's against Pitt in the playoffs, plus 50 yards on 10 carries and another TD.

And it was essentially his first season. He did not play TRADITIONALLY well, i.e. Manning/Brady pocket passers headed for the HOF. But he DID play well. In his only real shot thus far.

Tebow career passing stats:
46.5% completion percentage in the regular season
40.4% completion percentage in the post-season

Of the top ten active QBs with the best completion %, Eli Manning is the lowest with 58%. All the others complete at least 60% of their passes.

Tebow yards per completion
6.38 yards per completion regular season
9.62 yards per completion post season (80 yards came on one catch and run against Pittsburgh where the pass covered 16 yards)

Tebow's 6.38 yards per completion is essentially one-half of the top 22 active passers in the NFL: NFL Active Yards per Pass Completion Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com

He cannot play quarterback in the NFL.

Tebow career passing stats:
46.5% completion percentage in the regular season
40.4% completion percentage in the post-season

Of the top ten active QBs with the best completion %, Eli Manning is the lowest with 58%. All the others complete at 60% of their passes.

Tebow yards per completion
6.38 yards per completion regular season
9.62 yards per completion post season (80 yards came on one catch and run against Pittsburgh where the pass covered 16 yards)

Tebow's 6.38 yards per completion is essentially one-half of the top 22 active passers in the NFL: NFL Active Yards per Pass Completion Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com

He cannot play quarterback in the NFL.
You confused Tebow's YPA with his YPC. Tebow's YPC in 2011 was 13.7, which would put him at #1 on the active leaders list you posted. (His career YPC is 14).

Tebow's yards per attempt in the NFL has been low -- because he has more incompletions than he should have. His Yards per completion has always been high -- he does tend to take shots down the field, and struggles with short completions and quick passes.

In 2011, he was second only to Aaron Rodgers in "air yards per completion" which is a measure of how far the average completion traveled in the air before being caught. It is a misconception that Tebow racks up screen passes with big YAC. His short game is terrible.

The Yards per Attempt (active) is here: NFL Active Yards per Pass Attempt Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Tebow's career 6.7 YPA would put him just behind Andrew Luck's 6.8, tied with Ryan Tanehill's 6.7.

There are reasons to explain this. It's probably better if you guys stuck to the obvious truths -- Tebow has displayed serious issues with his mechanics, difficulty dropping back and delivering the ball on time and on target. He's had a shot and had his shortcomings.

Because if you play the stat game, it ends up with him being one of the more effective quarterbacks (young in his career) to get washed out without even a true backup gig to work on it.

Broncos sure were dumb to put Tim Tebow in as starter. Terrible terrible season for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-plyNrrFi1s

Again you substitute platitude for thought.
If they had better QB play, they would have been a better team. Right now, NFL teams believe all of the 100+ QBs on rosters and better. Analyzing his play looks as if they are correct.
But, but, the won 7 of 8 before losing 4 of his last 5 games.
Every team that wins does it despite having some poor players. I'm not sure how you don't get that.

You confused Tebow's YPA with his YPC. Tebow's YPC in 2011 was 13.7, which would put him at #1 on the active leaders list you posted. (His career YPC is 14).

Tebow's yards per attempt in the NFL has been low -- because he has more incompletions than he should have. His Yards per completion has always been high -- he does tend to take shots down the field, and struggles with short completions and quick passes.

In 2011, he was second only to Aaron Rodgers in "air yards per completion" which is a measure of how far the average completion traveled in the air before being caught. It is a misconception that Tebow racks up screen passes with big YAC. His short game is terrible.

Please cite your statistics. Tebow sucks. In his wonderful 2011 season he averaged 123 yards passing per game and his yards per completion was 6.4.

Tim Tebow: Career Stats at NFL.com

Have you ever seen him live on a football field? At the Patriots camp last summer, watching Tebow was like watching a shot-putter next to two professional passers.

We all wanted him to succeed. Really. Nothing would have been cooler than for Tebow to morph into some innnovative weapon after Rex failed with him. We also were horrified with the Aaron Hernandez murder revelations and were hoping something wonderful would emerge with Tebow. Unfortunately, he just can't play quarterback at the professional level.

Attachments

• belichick.190.jpg
    belichick.190.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 25
See, it's bull**** like this that really chaps my ass. You want to claim that you supposedly look at Tebow "critically" and accuse Tebow supporters of not doing so.

His supposed failure in New York is directly the fault of the Jet's coaching staff, specifically, Rex Ryan and Tony "I Brought the Wildcat to the NFL" Sparano.

As for his time in New England, iirc, Tebow's first preseason game came after a whopping 2 weeks of practice with the Pats. Remember, he was signed after minicamp. Just how well did you expect him to do in that limited amount of time ?

I've already explained why your position vis a vis the CFL is completely wrong. You don't go to another league and sit on the bench or play as the starter when you are trying to fix/change your mechanics. Those teams are trying to win games and the coaches and players are going to spend the practice time working on installing the game plan, NOT on fixing QB mechanics. If you will, think about golfers who take time off from the PGA tour to go fix or retool their swing.

Once the changes are made, THEN it would be time to get into game time / live fire situations.

And it is excuse making garbage like this that "chap's" my ass. Tebow gets hero worship and unmitigated love for every inkling of success he has, but all of his failures belong to everybody else. So much for personal responsibility, in Tebowland there isn't any. Go ahead and continue to believe that 32 teams are conspiring against him because of his faith as that clearly makes you feel better, the truth is that his biggest supporter brought him in and he couldn't win himself a job, that's his fault, no one else's.

Good person, lousy quarterback, end of story. Good luck to him in his TV career because his football career is over because his ego is too big to allow him to play in a league that has fostered NFL hall of fame careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back