PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Updated list of 2009 draft picks [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Can Someone Provide a 2009 Draft Picks Summary?

This has been much discussed, with the general consensus that there will be a comp pick.

One example: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ucated-guess-our-draft-order.html#post1274417

I am skeptical that it'll be a fourth though.

I went back and forth on that when coming up with the list, but after looking at AdamJT13's predictions of players being between 4.45 to 5.3 million average per year contract for a 4th and him predicting Ahman Green of the Packers (5.6 mil 6GP/5 GS) I settled on a 4th for Stallworth (5.0 mil 11GP/7GS). GB got a 4th last year (#135).

His production was terrible (17-170-1), but AdamJT13 has stated before that that has little to no factor in awarding picks based on past drafts and he's been doing it for like 8 or 9 years.

NFL Forum :: - Projecting the 2008 Compensatory Picks

I'm hopeful it's a 4th, but we'll see. I have also been searching for an example of a player whose option wasn't picked up allowing his contract to expire making him an URFA and the former team got a comp as a result of him signing elsewhere.

The Point on the first 6 pats picks

23 760
34 560
47 430
58 320
89 145

That is enough to jump into the first round 2 more times if other teams will play.
I doubt the Pats will do that but they could do 3 Low 1st rounders mainly
because they have so many picks and so few holes that they want locks to make the
roster.

560 + = >that 590 which is the 32 pick value.

430 + = >that 590 which is the 32 pick value

34 is so close to the first round that it is pointless.

I could see 47 and 89 to detroit to draft 33 though.

Same reasoning and detroit needs bodies.

So pick at 23 33 and 34

3 Studs paid like rookies should be paid.

By all accounts a deep draft, next years will be OK but not as deep as this one so this may factor into several things
1)Taking the 34 pick as if it's a first rounder
2)Less likely to trade for picks in 2010.

With an uncapped year/strike looming they have to factor in that as well. The commish has stted 2010 will not have a draft saary cap so that doesn;t play into the equation.

I remember the year Graham was picked by the Pats and after it came out that the Patriots had only 21 players rated as first round picks in that draft.

Valuing these picks has to be in relation to the value of the draft. If they have 35 guys rated as first round talent this year and looking ahead(as they always do) expect a weak draft in 2010 with only 21 first round talented players they will use the 34 this year instead of trading for next years #1 with a playoff team. Th expectation is that the most underclassman ever will be selected in the first round this year. Just that fact alone shows it's a deep draft. It is especially deep at Left Tackle and Wide Receiver. More important:

NFL Draft rich with 'hybrid' defenders

"Teams are in luck with this year's draft. Coaches and scouts think it's deep in the hybrid position of defensive end/outside linebackers. "

Also, with a stockpile of top picks in a deep draft they can get younger in a hurry on defense and extend the "can be in the playoffs and compete for a title" philosophy out several more years.

Draft Value chart trade values for trading up:

NFL draft-pick value chart - NFL - ESPN

#23+#34=#10
#23+#47=#13
#23+#58=#15
#34+#47=#17
#34+#58=#19
#47+#58=#24
#23+#89=#18
#34+#89=#26
#47+#89=#35
#58+#89=#44

lots of opportunity to move around with a guy who generally makes alort of draft day trades, makes for an exciting day.

lots of opportunity to move around with a guy who generally makes alort of draft day trades, makes for an exciting day.

I agree, this is going to be a fun draft to follow.

Re: Can Someone Provide a 2009 Draft Picks Summary?

Thanks. 4 out of the first 58 picks is pretty amazing.

i agree; impressive

4 potential picks on the top 58

not bad at all...

Everyone that's upset about not getting a 1 for Cassel, look at this way.
They'll trade that second rounder to someone like Washington or Arizona for a No.1 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore