PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Updated All Time Pats Team: Open for Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaxPlaya

On the Roster
Reaction score
Adding to the Dog Days Posts Here...

Given the success of the team the past few years, the "all time" Pats team is in need of an overhaul. Below is my crack, and let's have at it. First, a few rules:

1. Each player must have played 50% plus one of his career in a Pats uni;

2. You are not allowed to project careers for current players--look at Terrell Davis circa 1998.

3. The players on the "team" don't have to fit a particular system or pretend that they would play well together.

4. I'm leaving some open slots where I'm not sure. The old-timers can fill in the missing pieces.

5. A "standard" package of players is required. Classic modern football (4-3, 1 TE, etc.)

Here we go:

Owner: Bob Kraft
GM: Scott Pioli
Head Coach: BB
Asst Coach: Dante Scarnecchia

QB: Tom Brady
RB: Jim Nance
FB: Sam Cunningham
WR: Stanley Morgan
WR: Troy Brown
TE: Ben Coates
LT: Bruce Armstrong
LG: ??
C: ??
RG: John Hannah
RT: ??
K: Adam Vinatieri

DE: Richard Seymour
DT: Jim Lee Hunt
DT: ??
DE: Willie McGinest (putting him here since he was an elephant)
OLB: Nick Buoniconti
MLB: Steve Nelson
OLB: Andre Tippett
CB: Ty Law
CB: Michael Haynes
FS: ??
SS: Lawyer Milloy
P: Rich Camarillo

ST: Larry Izzo

Players that have a chance of breaking this lineup:

Matt Light
Deion Branch
Mike Vrabel

TaxPlaya said:
2. You are not allowed to project careers for current players--look at Terrell Davis circa 1998.

I'd still rank TD as the best Broncos RB in history, regardless of his short career.

Anyways, I prefer to pick a "starter" and "backups" because at some positions it is tough to pick just one. First one (or two, at certain positions) is the "starter", after that is "backups".

QB: Tom Brady, Drew Bledsoe, Steve Grogan
RB: Jim Nance, Craig James
FB: Sam Cunningham, Sam Gash
WR: Troy Brown, Stanley Morgan, Gino Cappelletti, Randy Vataha
TE: Ben Coates, Russ Francis
OT: Bruce Armstrong, Leon Gray, Matt Light
OG: John Hannah, Sam Adams, Ron Wooten
OC: Pete Brock, Bill Lenkaitis

DE: Richard Seymour, Julius Adams, Larry Eisenhauer
DT: Jim Lee Hunt, Houston Antwine, Ray Hamilton
LB: Andre Tippett, Steve Nelson, Nick Buoniconti, Willie McGinest, Tedy Bruschi
CB: Mike Haynes, Ty Law, Raymond Clayborn, Maurice Hurst, Ronnie Lippett
S: Lawyer Milloy, Tim Fox, Willie Clay

ST: Mosi Tatupu, Larry Wigham, Larry Izzo
K: Adam Vinatieri, Gino Cappelletti
KR: Irving Fryar
PR: Troy Brown

If I was allowed players who didn't play for the Pats for long enough, Harrison would be ahead of Fox as a safety, no question, and Curtis Martin would be the top RB.

Last edited:

Guess that means we can't use Mike Haynes (7 years as a Pat (76-82), 7 years as a Raider (83-89)).

Last edited by a moderator:
TaxPlaya said:
Adding to the Dog Days Posts Here...

Given the success of the team the past few years, the "all time" Pats team is in need of an overhaul. Below is my crack, and let's have at it. First, a few rules:

3. The players on the "team" don't have to fit a particular system or pretend that they would play well together.

4. I'm leaving some open slots where I'm not sure. The old-timers can fill in the missing pieces.

5. A "standard" package of players is required. Classic modern football (4-3, 1 TE, etc.)

Here we go:

Owner: Bob Kraft
GM: Scott Pioli
Head Coach: BB
Asst Coach: Dante Scarnecchia

QB: Tom Brady
RB: Jim Nance
FB: Sam Cunningham
WR: Stanley Morgan
WR: Troy Brown
TE: Ben Coates
LT: Bruce Armstrong
LG: ??
C: ??
RG: John Hannah
RT: ??
K: Adam Vinatieri

DE: Richard Seymour
DT: Jim Lee Hunt
DT: ??
DE: Willie McGinest (putting him here since he was an elephant)
OLB: Nick Buoniconti
MLB: Steve Nelson
OLB: Andre Tippett
CB: Ty Law
CB: Michael Haynes
FS: ??
SS: Lawyer Milloy

ST: Larry Izzo

Players that have a chance of breaking this lineup:

Matt Light
Deion Branch
Mike Vrabel

First off, Nance like Sam bam was a Fullback. His play was much more Larry Czonka than any RB. I would move Seymour to DT which he really is. As an oldtimer, Houston Antwine was the real star on the '60s era Patriots Dline. Jim Lee was just a sidekick. I'd substitute. I liked Larry Eisenhauer as a DE, but I think we have had better; Garin Veris career was short but he was pretty good.

At right tackle I would put a guy who had a short career with us but Leon Gray alongside Hawg were an awesome duo. A huge amount of the 3100 yards accumulated rushing one season (almost two years worth of last years efforts) came over Hawg & Gray.

Dr. Pete Brock was a pretty good center as was Jon Morris but I'd take the Dentist first.

Julie Adams is definetly a candidate for the other DE opposite Willie McG with Seymonsta and Houston inside.

Haynes was so f'n good, he must be one of the CBs. The other is a toss up between Clayborn and Law.

And your right NEM, Hawg was a LG! A couple very good but forgotten O-linemen were the tackle from Stanford a guy named Holloway(sp?). the other was Tom Neville back in the 60's/70s.

And CuMar is so good he must be a Patriot RB....

What about guys like Bob Dee DE, from the 60s.

Played his career with the old Pats, same as GC, those guys were pretty good in thier day.

Have to add Julius Adams, a guy who was here during the lean years, just an athlete to toiled on bad teams and made the pro bowl a couple of times...one of my all time favs as never heard him complain during his time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back