PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unsung Pats Hero of 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
huskeralk said:
I had a heated discussion with a poster a while back about Hochstein. He didn't feel that Hochstein was a competent starter for our O line. He has proven for a second season now that that just isn't true. As I have said before, Neal doesn't have a leg to stand on in negotiations this offseason because Hochstein could easily do his job.
Hochstein is great off the bench and a card carrying member of the Troy Brown Versatility Brigade - but he doesn't have the same power and leverage Neal brings to the line. That said, Hoch would do the job just fine if we lost Neal to FA - I see him developing into a younger and less damaged version of Andruzzi, and that ain't bad. :cool:

DaBruinz said:
Yes, that is why Neal and Mankins were the Starting guards and Hochstein was warming the bench for the 1st 9 games of the season.

Sorry, but Hochstein hasn't proven that he could EASILY do Neal's job. Hochstein has been beaten on more than a few occasions. Including on the safety that the Dolphins got on Cassel.

Oh yeah, it was you. I did forget to mention that Neal hasn't made a single mistake in his entire career. I don't know what I was thinking. I plead temporary insanity. I still say if Neal is going to try to bust our balls over a new contract, let him walk and we'll be just fine.

chris_in_sunnyvale said:
As runner up, I'd go with ALL of the OL. The Tampa game, with out-of-position Ashworth at LT, rookie Mankins at LG, backup Hochstein at C, never-took-a-college-snap Neal at RG and backup Gorin at RT, was the epitome of the excellent job the OL has done all year despite the various injuries. The only reason I don't give them top billing is because the run blocking has been mediocre and the pass blocking has looked better than it really has been due to Brady's *outstanding* year...I never thought I'd enjoy watching a QB's footwork in the pocket, but he really is amazing at buying that extra second when everything is falling apart around him.

Regards,
Chris

I do think the depth of the line is something that most teams don't have. Being in Dallas, the only reason the Boys didn't make the playoffs I believe was the O-Line, more importantly, no depth. Once Flozell Adams went out, the running game stunk, and Bledsoe started getting hit worse than normal. They had no depth at tackle.

With somewhere around 300+ lineman in the league, I think all the Pats OL are in the top 150-175. While they may not be at the top of their position, they are all very solid, work extremely well together, and have excellent gameplanning by Dante. All it takes is one player in the bottom 10-20% of the league to royally screw things up for the offense.

texpat said:
I do think the depth of the line is something that most teams don't have. Being in Dallas, the only reason the Boys didn't make the playoffs I believe was the O-Line, more importantly, no depth. Once Flozell Adams went out, the running game stunk, and Bledsoe started getting hit worse than normal. They had no depth at tackle.

With somewhere around 300+ lineman in the league, I think all the Pats OL are in the top 150-175. While they may not be at the top of their position, they are all very solid, work extremely well together, and have excellent gameplanning by Dante. All it takes is one player in the bottom 10-20% of the league to royally screw things up for the offense.
Amen! Preach it pardner! :singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back