PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Dolphins tape breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you actually break this game films down yourself? if so that is really impressive. did you used to be a football coach?

I wish I, or someone like unoriginal, Box_o_Rocks, AllWorldTE (@Planet), and TripleOption (@Planet), had the game films. :) Why Merril Hoge can get them and not us, I don't know...

Last edited:
I wish I, or someone like unoriginal, Box_o_Rocks, AllWorldTE (@Planet), and TripleOption (@Planet), had the game films. :) Why Merril Hoge can get them and not us, I don't know...
Getting my hands on coach's tape would be a blast, but I'd love to see what AWTE would do with a game tape! Nice job Mike! Unoriginal's influence looks good on you.

Pats1

Thanks for the work, we all appreciate it.

this confirms what my (completely uneducated) gut tells me - our OL is in trouble this year. I would expect Yates to have some issues, but Mankins? I like the stat breakdown you did for the OL (sacks, pressures, hurries, etc). I'd love to see where we stack up against the rest of the league.

On the flip side (not to threadjack), I'd also like to find out why we can't pressure the QB this year. Is it scheme? Vrable losing a step? Poor DL play?

Great stuff, pats1, thanks for taking the time and posting. Interesting to see Mankins is one of the guys struggling.

On the defensive end to touch upon some of your other comments - I've noticed the coaching staff has asked a lot of AD in these first 3 games in the way of coverage. Not just asking him to drop into zones but as you point out he's covered TEs in man, and athletic TEs (such as Gonzo). I have to wonder if Tank Williams had been healthy, if that would've been his role. Instead of bringing Wright and Green [to add to Sey] into the 3-3 nickel package, if they'd go with Sey & Green and bring Vrabel and AD to the line to rush (they did this in the 2nd half of the Jets game). I love AD's versatility, but they seemed to be pushing him when it comes to coverage, at least as how I can see.

Last edited:
Thanks Pats1

I think by the end of last year word was out on our OL's vulnerabilities - now its just a matter of whether an opposing team has the capabilities to execute and put the pressure on our QB... and whether that was Brady, Cassell or anyone else, if the OL can't hold there's no ability to get the ball deep and therefore even more pressure that can be brought up front.

Ironically even with Moss, we face a similar vulnerability seen in 2006 when we had no deep threat. The good news is that Moss is still being double covered - so that should still mean someone else is more open.

But unless anyone thinks that even if the OL plays well the offense can score 39 points, the defense is going to have to step up.

The bottom line for this game, although a great many fans are adamant that the play of the offense and defense both represent 100% effort and that this is the best they can do - I think its clear that they played lethargically, without passion, and IMO far far less than 100% effort.

They looked past the Dolphins pure and simple, and should not be surprised by a less than warm reception from the fans who witnessed that.

Great work but Cassell adequate ? Come on. Both the herald and globe reported the next day that had it not been for 3 dropped interceptions by the Dolphins Cassell would have accounted for 5 turnovers. I saw Cassell last season throw his only pass to the 1-15 Dolphins for an INT returned for a TD. This season he leads the team to 0-4 preseason and Mike Reiss of the Globe predicts he does not make the 53 man roster. Now we have seen him in 3 games this year. What are the Cassell fans basing their hope on? Sorry, but I'm ready for O'Connell.

Great work but Cassell adequate ? Come on. Both the herald and globe reported the next day that had it not been for 3 dropped interceptions by the Dolphins Cassell would have accounted for 5 turnovers. I saw Cassell last season throw his only pass to the 1-15 Dolphins for an INT returned for a TD. This season he leads the team to 0-4 preseason and Mike Reiss of the Globe predicts he does not make the 53 man roster. Now we have seen him in 3 games this year. What are the Cassell fans basing their hope on? Sorry, but I'm ready for O'Connell.

If you base your judgements regarding this team on what the Globe and Herald mediots conclude rather than what Bill Belichick continues to do you will end up spending more time backpedaling than enjoying a football season.

Watch other teams play when we aren't. It provides a world of perspective. It's a team game and there are always underlying reasons beyond the seemingless obvious for why **** happens...

Here we go again....

1.) Preseason doesn't count.

2.) The fact that Reiss and most of the media were claiming Cassel was gone, yet he remains on the team, should clue you on in the difference between media perception and reality with this team.

3.) The team is 2-1 and would make the playoffs if the season ended today.

4.) Cassel was not the reason the team lost to the Dolphins.

Last edited:
In that last frame it looks like Cassel is going to block Porter. Anyone know what happened?

Don't have NFL Network to watch the rebroadcast. Damn Comcast.

Great stuff, Pats1. Thanks!

Interesting...thought I had bumped this...

Bump.

In that last frame it looks like Cassel is going to block Porter. Anyone know what happened?

Don't have NFL Network to watch the rebroadcast. Damn Comcast.
Um, he blocked porter. Like the post said.

Wondering if Mankins is playing with some kind of chronic injury that has been hidden due to Neal's absence. Just hasn't been himself for some time now.

Logan Mankins is a beast on running plays, but is only AVERAGE blocking for the pass.

Billy Yates is horrible, he is a below average player at best.

Our OL has tons of holes.

If posters on a message board can break it down like this, imagine what the coaching staff is seeing. They must be furious.

This thread deserves a bump.

Mankins has struggled in pass protection since at least the Ravens game last year. SI.com's Dr. Z, who rated Mankins the best guard in the NFL in '06 and I believe for '07 in case anyone is thinking he's a hater, noted the trouble he faced against Ngata(sp?) in that game. He also predicted Justin Tuck would give the Pats fits in SB42, much of it based on his opinion of Mankins in pass protection with a guy lined up opposite him.

Another guy who struggles in pass protection when a guy lines up directly opposite him is Koppen. Koppen is a great help defender against 4-3 defenses when the DTs line up in the gaps, but if those lines shift or he's facing a NT, he gives up ground fast.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes