PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unremarked things about this game

Status
Not open for further replies.

njpatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
1. Everyone keeps talking about the play of our "dominating front 7" - but #54 didn't even play. Props to Beisel and (later) Chad.

2. Watson is the hero for the run, but don't forget that he could have been the goat - fumbling on the second TD drive (and being short of the 1st down too). A. Davis saved that drive.

3. The O-line gave up 4 sacks in the first half (most ever in the recent playoffs) but NONE in the second. Hat tip to Dante and his adjustments.

4. Dr. Z predicted 7 sacks. We only got 6.

5. We were 2 inches away from a shutout.

R

Last edited:
njpatsfan said:
1. Everyone keeps talking about the play of our "dominating front 7" - but #54 didn't even play. Props to Beisel and (later) Chad.
I love Tedy as much as anyone but we have to remember that other changes happened around midseason too :

- Vrabel moved inside and improved over the last 8 games.
- Colvin began to kick ass.
- Wilfork played a lot better.
- Hawkins solidified Rodney's old spot.
- Hobbs has played great.

Bruschi is a part of the improvement and we'll need him if we're going to win 3 more games this year. But it was good to see the defense play well without him based on the other improvements.

6. Tom Brady is the GOD of the PA fake. Bar none. BB should use it more.

-R

njpatsfan said:
6. Tom Brady is the GOD of the PA fake. Bar none. BB should use it more.
It was interesting to see that we used it about half as much as last year. I wonder if that's by design or just a result of all the time Dillon missed. Probably the latter more, I would think. Brady's passer rating is off the charts on play action.

On my 55" HDTV, I almost never get fooled on PA. Both of Bradys big PA passes completely fooled me.

R

njpatsfan said:
The O-line gave up 4 sacks in the first half (most ever in the recent playoffs) but NONE in the second. Hat tip to Dante and his adjustments.

I don't think OL adjustments were the issue, it looked to me that our receivers were finally getting open. Brady was forced to hold the ball too long in the 1st half by excellent defense by the Jaguars.

I thought that in the fist half, the recievers did a poor job of breaking off their routes and coming back for the ball. Tom was getting himself enough time but the recievers weren't helping.

njpatsfan said:
On my 55" HDTV, I almost never get fooled on PA.
Mine's (61") bigger than yours! :p

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

PromisedLand said:
Yours is twice the size of mine :bricks:

PromisedLand said:

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

Mine is a 72" 1080P..... :p

We may have done less than half of the PA...but I think we are using it more in the red zone and aren't we doing a lot better in the red zone this year? It is easier to sell a PA if it is used less and would support the frequency if indeed like Madden said last night we are using it in the red zone mainly...and we were better than last year at getting the TD instead of the FG.

BelichickFan said:
It was interesting to see that we used it about half as much as last year. I wonder if that's by design or just a result of all the time Dillon missed. Probably the latter more, I would think. Brady's passer rating is off the charts on play action.

I think the fact that they have been more selective with it is what has made it so much more effective - and that it was a planned strategy.

That being said, one thing I will give credit to Peyton Manning for is his play action fake moves

As much as I can't stand him and the Colts, I honestly think Peyton has the best PA fake in the game.

JoeSixPat said:
I think the fact that they have been more selective with it is what has made it so much more effective - and that it was a planned strategy.
If you look at QB rating, it was extremely effective last year too (they showed the numbers, I don't remember tham but QB rating was very high last year and this year) but the percentage it was used was about twice as high last year.

My TV can beat up any of your TV's.

PATSNUTme said:
My TV can beat up any of your TV's.

Ha I win 100" from my computer, projecting onto a wall!!!

So I have no TV to beat up.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back