Welcome to PatsFans.com

Undefeated teams rarely meet this far into the season

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Fencer, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +128 / 2 / -15

#12 Jersey

Teams with 5-0 records or better have met only four times in NFL history, and two of those games came in the first three years of the league (1921 and 1923). ...

(From NFL.com)

If the Pats do the expected and win this weekend, it will be a pretty special two-game stretch indeed.
  2. onegameatatime

onegameatatime Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I believe last time was Jets-Pats in 2004 and Pats won. I believe the highest # of wins was 6-0 vs. 6-0. This all assumes that ESPN did its job right.

I don't like to look ahead and scoff at 19-0 predictions and threads, but there is a real possibility of a Pats-Indy match-up of undefeateds.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +506 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I heard that stat before and it stunned me. 5-0 is great but it's amazing that it's that rare for two teams. In addition, if the Colts and Patriots meet with 8-0 and 7-0 records it would be the "most undefeated" matchup ever; but that's looking ahead a little.
  4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I also think it's a special game in that if Brady wins this game (the 100th regular season game of his career), he will tie the record for most games won in the first 100 games of a career.

He will tie Roger Staubach, the former Dallas Cowboy great.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  5. solman

solman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Its not that rare for there to be two undefeated teams in week six. By the time you get to week 9 it starts to get very rare. That means that the two undefeated teams have to be scheduled against each other during a very brief window. This is why the probability is so low.

If we win this week, the odds are against NE and Indy winning the six remaining games before their matchup (which would be the greatest matchup of undefeated teams yet).
  6. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Actually, it's been stated that teams 5-0 + have only met 4 times in NFL history (including Jets at Pats in 2004).

Of course, your criteria is stated a little differently, "week 6" as opposed to 5+ wins and undefeated. Per your criteria, this would include the 4-0 Patriots playing the 5-0 Broncos in week 6 in 1997.
  7. solman

solman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You didn't read my post. I said it is not that rare for there to be two undefeated teams in week six. It IS rare for them to play each other. I was commenting on a poster who exclaimed how amazing it is for this to be such a rare event. What makes it rare is the scheduling.

I believe I was first to post the previous four games on this board. I have no reason to retract my previous statement.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.