PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UDFA news thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: UDFA news thread

It says John Wise played DL in college so i dont think we should jump the gun on him playin OL

In 20 years he is going to regret this decision. Grad school is always going to be there, this is his only chance to try and make it in the NFL. He's going to look back and say "If only I had tried, who knows what could have happened..."

Either that or he doesn't enjoy football any more, in which case it makes sense not to keep playing.

Or, god forbid, he wanted to put focus on grad school withou having to deal with constant pain from a potential injury. If you can respect the kid's decision, you are the problem.

Oh, and how the hell do you know he'll regret the decision? The are planty of players out the who regret playing in the NFL because of the injuries they suffered.

Sicko decided against the NFL because he wasnt drafted, he wanted to be drafted and join the league. It's a damn shame to let what others think of you determine what you think of yourself.

How different would Brady's career have been if he was an UDFA? Probably not very different at all, he wanted to make it badly and was dying to prove everyone wrong. If being undrafted was enough to stop Sicko then he never had the guts needed to succeed in the first place. A damn shame.

You are such a douche. Seriously. . Plus you clearly can't be bothered to read what was said without throwing your own BS in.

Sicko said he sat down AFTER the draft to discuss his future with his friends and family to discuss his future. And it was that discussion that led him to his decision. It was NOT just him not getting drafted.

You making statements saying that he maybe doesn't have the guts to play are just ignorant. It's "fans" like you that players hate because you judge them without knowing a damn thing.

Or, god forbid, he wanted to put focus on grad school withou having to deal with constant pain from a potential injury. If you can respect the kid's decision, you are the problem.

Just speaking for myself, I totally respect the decision to choose a career other than football. What baffles me is to make that decision based on whether you're a late 7th-round pick or a priority UDFA.

Just speaking for myself, I totally respect the decision to choose a career other than football. What baffles me is to make that decision based on whether you're a late 7th-round pick or a priority UDFA.

From what I read, that's not what he based his decision on. It said he and family/friends sat down after the draft and that's when he made the decision. Not before the draft. So, the decision was made based on what his options were.

One of the things people seem to have a misconception of is that a person can just go to grad school whenever. That isn't the case. Many places only have a few slots and they go quickly. And there is no guarantee you'll be offered the spot in the future.

This guy isn't throwing a tantrum like that OT did a few years ago. And it's clear that it's not a kneejerk reaction on his part.

As I said before, I think an unstated reason was the fact that he wouldn't be guaranteed any money trying to catch on with a team (even picks in the 230s like Edelman get ~$50K or so).

As I said before, I think an unstated reason was the fact that he wouldn't be guaranteed any money trying to catch on with a team (even picks in the 230s like Edelman get ~$50K or so).

that's what I got out of it yesterday, also

Yes, this is the article I was referencing. He seems to think the chances are worse for an FA. He's right. He's looking at the chances and deciding to pursue one aspiration over the other, as I said.

We all know how GMs get prickly when their draft choices are being critiqued.

Do you really think there's any actual difference between a 6th rounder and a UDFA? If you can perform well you'll stick around, if you can't you'll be sent home. Take a look at Jamarcus there, he might very well be out of the league very soon even though he was the #1 pick.

You are such a douche. Seriously. . Plus you clearly can't be bothered to read what was said without throwing your own BS in.

Sicko said he sat down AFTER the draft to discuss his future with his friends and family to discuss his future. And it was that discussion that led him to his decision. It was NOT just him not getting drafted.

You making statements saying that he maybe doesn't have the guts to play are just ignorant. It's "fans" like you that players hate because you judge them without knowing a damn thing.

"If I were to be drafted I would have had more confidence of a much longer career in the NFL,"

So there you go, being a 7th round pick is a-ok but because he would have gone as a UDFA he doesn't want to give it a shot.

The only real difference between a 7th rounder and a UDFA is that the UDFA can chose were he plays, and a chance to play in the league is a chance to play, that's it, it doesn't matter where one is drafted.

Oh, and by the way, GFY!

Last edited:

"If I were to be drafted I would have had more confidence of a much longer career in the NFL,"

So there you go, being a 7th round pick is a-ok but because he would have gone as a UDFA he doesn't want to give it a shot.

The only real difference between a 7th rounder and a UDFA is that the UDFA can chose were he plays, and a chance to play in the league is a chance to play, that's it, it doesn't matter where one is drafted.

Oh, and by the way, GFY!

Hard to find specific info, but drafted players get a salary whereas UDFAs get a few bucks and a biscuit during camp. The difference could be in the tens of thousands of dollars, which could have helped Sicko decide on whether to give the NFL a shot (and help pay for grad school) or not.

I'm just sayin'. :confused2:

Hard to find specific info, but drafted players get a salary whereas UDFAs get a few bucks and a biscuit during camp. The difference could be in the tens of thousands of dollars, which could have helped Sicko decide on whether to give the NFL a shot (and help pay for grad school) or not.

I'm just sayin'. :confused2:

If he made the practice squad he would have made 90k that year, if he made the roster he would make 285k as a rookie. The peanuts he would make during camp is relatively small compared to what he would have made playing, pretty good scratch for a kid right out of college, and that would have gone a long way towards paying for his grad school education.

He has some skills, both us and Indy had him over and worked him out and apparently at least 5 teams wanted to sign him as a UDFA. It just makes me sick that someone with so much potential throws it away over so little.

Take a look at this video, it's pretty clear that going to the NFL is what he wanted.

LaSalle grad hoping for a chance in the NFL - YNN, Your News Now

Do you really think there's any actual difference between a 6th rounder and a UDFA? If you can perform well you'll stick around, if you can't you'll be sent home. Take a look at Jamarcus there, he might very well be out of the league very soon even though he was the #1 pick.

You follow the Patriots. They don't care in New England. Almost everywhere else, they do.

Oh, and by the way, GFY!

You're taking the quote wrong. He's saying that if he got drafted, he'd have more confidence that he would make a team. Not confidence in himself. The chances of making it as a UDFA are lower.

RB Patrick Paschall has been signed by the Pats.

Good.

Scout.com: Patrick Paschall Profile

Just realized I was late to the party. You guys are QUICK.

Love this move....can't recall who brought this kids YouTube to our attention.....but he seems to have a lot of potential

Love this move....can't recall who brought this kids YouTube to our attention.....but he seems to have a lot of potential
His All-Star game looked good.

Last edited:

As said earlier this Pat Paschall guy is a very interesting UDFA pick up and might have a shot at a roster spot if he is any good. I don't know anything about him other than what I've read but even playing in an FCS school I like these rushing numbers.

207 att. 1397 yds 6.7 ypc 16 td.

Other details

Height 6'0" Weight 209

Combine 40 yd dash: 4.69 Short Shuttle: 4.33 Bench Press: 15 Vertical Jump: 38.5 Broad Jump: 9'10" Short Shuttle: 4.33 60 Yard Shuttle: 11.39

Pro day: 40 yd dash: 4.57, 4.59 Short Shuttle: 4.15 Broad Jump: 9'10"

He scored 25 on the wonderlic too.

As said earlier this Pat Paschall guy is a very interesting UDFA pick up and might have a shot at a roster spot if he is any good. I don't know anything about him other than what I've read but even playing in an FCS school I like these rushing numbers.

207 att. 1397 yds 6.7 ypc 16 td.

Other details

Height 6'0" Weight 209

Combine 40 yd dash: 4.69 Short Shuttle: 4.33 Bench Press: 15 Vertical Jump: 38.5 Broad Jump: 9'10" Short Shuttle: 4.33 60 Yard Shuttle: 11.39

Pro day: 40 yd dash: 4.57, 4.59 Short Shuttle: 4.15 Broad Jump: 9'10"

He scored 25 on the wonderlic too.

I know it was lower competition but he looked faster playing. I think the kid's strength is his moves, like his shake n bake.

I'd seen Wise listed at 275 in earlier reports, but this article claimes he wrestled at 298...

Two more Hawkeyes sign deals

EDIT: This article claims "Wise, who is 6-foot-5 and 298 pounds, is expected to work out as an offensive lineman." Quincy Herald Whig

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes