PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UDFA Jonathan Jones CB Auburn: "He can fly..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they let Samule walk in his prime. It kind of makes the point that they value tackling more than other skills imho.

They did pay him a big franchise tag number in 2007 but yea they let him walk after that. Iggles paid him buku bucks.

Jones is 5/12" inch shorter than Butler from the combine. Butler was 5096 (5 Ft, 9 6/12 In) and Jones was 5091.

Despite his 4.33 40, Jones had a terrible 7.25 three cone.

Actually, the number is out of 8th of a inch, so he's 5'9 and 6/8ths and Jones is 5'9 and 1/8th. Either way, they're virtually identical in size. Anytime you get too caught up on the numbers in measurements, hold up your thumb and pointer finger half an inch apart, and tell me if it's really THAT significant. ;)

The only bizarre measurements with Jones is his 7.25 3-cone drill. Given his speed and leaping ability, not to mention some really solid movement skills on tape, I figured he'd be a sub-7 guy all day long.

5'9' 1/2", I think, and scrawny as heck when he came into the league. He was the 89th-ranked CB in a class that was considered to have 30-40 draftable CB prospects. You really can't overstate what an amazing story he's been.
Not a big deal but I don't recall Malcolm ever being scrawny. I do remember seeing an inside-the-lockerroom video after a win from his rookie year (no shirt on) and thinking damn, he almost looks like a linebacker. Pretty sure he's always been on the more built/ muscular side especially for a corner.
butler_malcolm.jpeg

Keep him in the Slot 5'9 won't cut it on the outsides in Today's NFL
Despite his size, he's not a slot receiver at all. He's not quick at all but he runs fast and jumps high. He's a pure outside CB.

I don't know guys, I am leaning toward Leblanc....I like Leblanc's feisty playing style.
Choosing between the three UDFA CBs, is a problem but a good problem to have.

I cannot find any good tape on V’Angelo Bentley that displays his cover skills so I don't know where to go with this kid....so I am picking Leblanc, which is a ridiculous thing to do after watching a minute of tape, ha, but that's what we do here.

Last edited:
Not a big deal but I don't recall Malcolm ever being scrawny. I do remember seeing an inside-the-lockerroom video after a win from his rookie year (no shirt on) and thinking damn, he almost looks like a linebacker. Pretty sure he's always been on the more built/ muscular side especially for a corner.
butler_malcolm.jpeg

A stud. The Patriots have got to re-sign this guy and pay him. Right now he is the most underpaid player in the league.

Is Malcom the best CB in Patriots history? Too soon to tell, but he did make the greatest play in Patriots history. There is some stiff competition for best CB in Patriots history such as Ty Law and Mike Haynes. Ty maybe made the next greatest play with his SB pic-6.

Yep. That and his leaping ability is what makes him damn good.

Absolutely.

36".

Samuel had something silly like that, too. I could give two squirts about his height and 3 cone with that and his great speed in play.

I think he makes the team.

Absolutely.

36".

Samuel had something silly like that, too. I could give two squirts about his height and 3 cone with that and his great speed in play.

I think he makes the team.

He might.

Malcolm's broad jump was 9-10, Jones' is 10-3. Malcolm's 3 cone was 7.2. Jones was 7.25.

Jones has the measurables. Not sure if he has game.

Flying would really help his NFL career

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Flying would really help his NFL career

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Unless it was from the boys' club roof

And we find out that Jonathan couldn't fly . . .

Really thinking one of LeBlanc or Jones will make the team... Butler-Ryan-C. Jones-Roberts-Coleman-LeBlanc/Jones is actually a fine group... It would be fantastic if one of them could be stashed on the practice squad and be kept around til next year when Ryan most likely moves on in FA.

Wouldn't be surprised if one of them beat Coleman or Roberts, or even if BB traded Ryan if he felt one of these kids showed enough.

Really thinking one of LeBlanc or Jones will make the team... Butler-Ryan-C. Jones-Roberts-Coleman-LeBlanc/Jones is actually a fine group... It would be fantastic if one of them could be stashed on the practice squad and be kept around til next year when Ryan most likely moves on in FA.

Wouldn't be surprised if one of them beat Coleman or Roberts, or even if BB traded Ryan if he felt one of these kids showed enough.

Roberts makes this team.

That dreaded virus that tends to hit Foxboro in August might hit one of these guys.

And they let Samule walk in his prime. It kind of makes the point that they value tackling more than other skills imho.

Always thought that Samuel walked because he wanted the big payday, not because they did not value him as a player...

Samuel did not fit into the Pats "economic model"...

5'9' 1/2", I think, and scrawny as heck when he came into the league. He was the 89th-ranked CB in a class that was considered to have 30-40 draftable CB prospects. You really can't overstate what an amazing story he's been.

I think that the reason he slid was because of an incorrect 40 time; the Patriots (Lombardi?) had the correct time and made their greatest F/A pickup of all time. I am hoping that is the case with Leblanc; he does not play like a 4.65 guy, but rather a 4.4 guy.

He wouldn't have freelanced and left Tyree roam free.

Come on, dude. A miracle catch we'll never see again on a broken play doesn't mean he let the guy roam.

The dropped INT? Now that can be something to complain about there. He should have had it to end it.

Always thought that Samuel walked because he wanted the big payday, not because they did not value him as a player...

Samuel did not fit into the Pats "economic model"...

They did let him walk because the CB market was spiking, thanks to fat Ty Law living off his reputation from years gone by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe