PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tyler Gaffney waived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well. He had basically zero shot making the club.

They are already at 5 with White, Rex, D-Lew, Foster and Develin.

Bolden and Blount are on the outside looking in.

Then comes the draft.

Then comes camp.

Then comes cut-downs.

Then comes the season.

I'd still like to see them pick up a Dixon type without the baggage but whatever.

Another spot open on the 90-man roster, now at 27.

I'm thinking that Rex and Develin are likely locks for the 53-man. White is probably close.

I'm not all that confident that Lewis and Foster are locks, and it's possible that Blount and.or Bolden may be re-signed just in time for the Camp competition, if they haven't signed elsewhere.

I'm thinking that Rex and Develin are likely locks for the 53-man. White is probably close.

I'm not all that confident that Lewis and Foster are locks, and it's possible that Blount and.or Bolden may be re-signed just in time for the Camp competition, if they haven't signed elsewhere.

Lewis is a lock dude. Plus his salary is pittance.

Hes only going to be healthier and at worst he returns kicks and is RB2 or RB3 behind Rex getting 50-75 carries and Passing Back2 behind Whitey

Wonder what he did/didn't do to get cut? Of course, he could have asked for his release when they signed Burkhead because he knew he had no chance of making the roster with White and Lewis also ahead of him..

Think it's a courtesy cut by the Pats so he has a chance to get onto another roster before the draft. After the draft is over it's really hard to find open spots for players like him.

Why would Lewis not be a lock?

I respectfully disagree. There are plenty of talented players in the middle rounds, later rounds, and even through undrafted free agency.

No question that good running backs are there to be had from the 4th round on and through undrafted free agency. That is particularly true for the Patriots who are looking for specific roles in the backfield. For 2017, they seem all set at pass catching, change of pace backs with White and Lewis, and at fullback with Develin (who is 6-0 in the playoffs with two Super Bowl rings. #binkie.)

They still need a big back, and if Blount's speed is still there in OTAs, they might be able to bring him back at a little more than the $1 million they paid him last year. He loves the Patriots system that used him perfectly in 2016.

Rex Burkhead is a head scratcher for me, but the idea of a 5'10 - 220 bruiser with slot pass catching skills is interesting. Burkhead in the slot would pose all sorts of problems for linebackers. When the Patriots signed him, it struck me that they have plans to alter the slot position, especially with all that speed outside in Hogan, Cooks and Mitchell.

Burkhead in the slot with Gronk at TE would be a punishing duo underneath and up the seams while Cooks, Hogan and Mitchell terrorize the secondary.

6-2 Devin Lucien is a very interesting player to me. He's entering his second season and could compete for the role that Michael Floyd filled for a few weeks as the tall outside receiver. I don't think the Patriots have ever been loaded like this with veteran receivers.

Nope. I was just commenting on how getting a talent like Mixon without the baggage would be great. What his draft selection would be I have no idea.
Why not simply explain the meaning behind it, instead of throwing out the word "huh?" Apparently, there is something rather obvious that I am missing, at least in your opinion.

Why not simply explain the meaning behind it, instead of throwing out the word "huh?" Apparently, there is something rather obvious that I am missing, at least in your opinion.

I think we are exhausting this issue.

Supa- It was 6am. I had no idea why you quoted a post I authored that was straight forward comment with two other posts and mentioning Urgent without any straightforward explanation or reasoning why you quoted me. My first reaction was that it was a mistake by you to include me.

I'm trying to explain my PoV here. This isn't really a big deal.

I think we are exhausting this issue.

Supa- It was 6am. I had no idea why you quoted a post I authored that was straight forward comment with two other posts and mentioning Urgent without any straightforward explanation or reasoning why you quoted me. My first reaction was that it was a mistake by you to include me.

I'm trying to explain my PoV here. This isn't really a big deal.
Not meaning to come off as disrespectful, as you're most likely in the top 10 posters for me, here. Thanks for the attempt at clarification.

Not meaning to come off as disrespectful, as you're most likely in the top 10 posters for me, here. Thanks for the attempt at clarification.
Its all good! I should have offered a bit more clarity in my response. I had had any coffee yet:)

No question that good running backs are there to be had from the 4th round on and through undrafted free agency. That is particularly true for the Patriots who are looking for specific roles in the backfield. For 2017, they seem all set at pass catching, change of pace backs with White and Lewis, and at fullback with Develin (who is 6-0 in the playoffs with two Super Bowl rings. #binkie.)

They still need a big back, and if Blount's speed is still there in OTAs, they might be able to bring him back at a little more than the $1 million they paid him last year. He loves the Patriots system that used him perfectly in 2016.

Rex Burkhead is a head scratcher for me, but the idea of a 5'10 - 220 bruiser with slot pass catching skills is interesting. Burkhead in the slot would pose all sorts of problems for linebackers. When the Patriots signed him, it struck me that they have plans to alter the slot position, especially with all that speed outside in Hogan, Cooks and Mitchell.

Burkhead in the slot with Gronk at TE would be a punishing duo underneath and up the seams while Cooks, Hogan and Mitchell terrorize the secondary.

6-2 Devin Lucien is a very interesting player to me. He's entering his second season and could compete for the role that Michael Floyd filled for a few weeks as the tall outside receiver. I don't think the Patriots have ever been loaded like this with veteran receivers.

I think we will hear from Devin Lucien soon as well as DJ Foster.

Talk about a useless jersey I actually have a Patriots' Dan Kleco jersey my in-laws gave me as a birthday gift!

Talk about a useless jersey I actually have a Patriots' Dan Kleco jersey my in-laws gave me as a birthday gift!
At least he actually played though! From 03-05 you were able to wear that jersey with pride. :D

It's not totally worthless...the wife wears it occasionally as a night shirt...

Lewis is a lock dude. Plus his salary is pittance.

Hes only going to be healthier and at worst he returns kicks and is RB2 or RB3 behind Rex getting 50-75 carries and Passing Back2 behind Whitey

Lewis' 2017 cap hit is $1.49M. In 2016, Blount and White combined hit the cap for only $1.72M. So, "pittance" is a relative thing.

I've not been all that impressed with his performance and contributions. I'm not saying that he's "bad", just that I think he's vulnerable to competition in Camp for his roster spot.

I was hopeful that he'd make the team and contribute, but it wasn't to be. I hope he catches on somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST