PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two things can be true:

Thank you!
You just summed it up perfectly for me
It's been 3 years of the same old same not being able to close games out or coming back fully
Lack of clutch gene
This. I told my son before last drive we aren't clutch and would fizzle out around the 10 or 15 which is pretty much what happenend.

Mac Jones is 0-12 when the other team scores 25.

He has no signature win, he has no signature moment, he can't make plays to win games.
What does that have to with other teams score 25 on a C+ day being monumentally stupid comment.

We have a ton of positives to take out of today. Mac looks much more like 2021 Mac. The offensive play calling was still spotty, but much much improved from last year. The defense held a top 5 offense in check most of the game and looked stout as ever for the most part. And it was a game we easily could have won against a team that may be one of the best 2-3 teams in the league.

Also:

The moral victories are getting really old. Too many games have ended like this the last 2-3 years. This team has to get better in clutch situations if it wants to go anywhere this year. The competition in this division is just too strong to afford to not be sharp in these moments.

They have failed in these situations time and time again and it has to change.
All we can ask is that they are competitive. They were competitive yesterday. The alternative is to stop watching.

I will watch and cheer for them I ain't going to wallow in misery and negativity. I got better things to do than whine and complain about stuff I have no control over.

You’re always in it until you are mathematically out. Football is a game of inches, and at any time something can click and you get on a roll. We know our team is capable of being competitive, can they be great? We gotta gain our mojo, simple as that. It all starts Sunday night, onto miami!

I don't look at this as a moral victory. I look at it as positive signs for the season. This is more about the Patriots exceeding expectations for what people thought they were than saying the Pats outplayed the Eagles after the first quarter and should have won if not for stupid mistakes.

I am not looking at this game as a win or loss. I expected it to be a loss. And I am not focusing on whether this should have been a win if this or that didn't happen. What I am looking at is the fact that this team on both sides of the ball could stand up to one of the best teams in the league. This was something missing last year. The Pats beat on the teams they should have beat and came up small against the teams that were clearly better than them last year.

Last year the offense would have folded after that start. And the defense would have let Hurts run for 100 yards and pass all over them. Neither happened this year.

Ultimately, yesterday was a missed opportunity to sneak a win against a Super Bowl contender, but I feel much better for the upcoming season than I did this time yesterday.

Lol, Mac throws for 300 yards and 3 tds with 1 int that should have been a catch. People saying Mac isn't playing well enough.

Faulking idiots.

I note that the Corky Club is even more strident than usual tonight -- Mac's obvious improvement from last year has them running a little scared methinks.
Scared??? Lay off the Hookah pipe.

You must think that $4.00 a gallon gas is a great thing too.

So, these guys get blamed for the Cam Newton year?

Most of these guys weren't on that team.

These guys aren't going to win the division, we knew that already.

You can be as unhappy as you want about that, but it won't change anything, the team is still a work in progress.
Why are some of you giving up after one game? I don't get that and I'm sure glad that the players aren't thinking the same way. They'll be a tough game for anyone.

Lol, Mac throws for 300 yards and 3 tds with 1 int that should have been a catch. People saying Mac isn't playing well enough.

Faulking idiots.
I really don't get the negativity. They played a good game against the defending NFC champs and came within a few inches of a win.

If I'm going to criticize anyone it would be Kraft for closing off the wind tunnel and making Philly's 55 yard FG easier. ;)

Why are some of you giving up after one game? I don't get that and I'm sure glad that the players aren't thinking the same way. They'll be a tough game for anyone.
Happens every season.

KC, Cincy and whoever loses tonight will be in the playoffs at the end of the season.

Defense is good I guess

But otherwise, this team is a joke and won't go anywhere. Harsh, but how many times do we have to see the same game play out?

This Pats team is a classic "not good" team that impressively plays up to their competition but comes up short.

The Patriots are going nowhere because they can't score these offenses in the NFL sleepwalk into 25 points on a C+ type of day, the Patriots need like the game of the year offensively or a bunch of turnovers to score 25.

This is where I'm at. They have yet to prove they can win these kinds of games... And until they do, they aren't a threat to do anything meaningful.

Thank you!
You just summed it up perfectly for me
It's been 3 years of the same old same not being able to close games out or coming back fully
Lack of clutch gene

Tua is undefeated against us.

The problem is still the same problem year after year. Not enough difference-makers on O. Look what SF is doing for example. They are making Mr. Irrelevant look like a franchise QB. I guarantee if Mac had Deebo, McCaffrey, Kittle and Aiyuk we would be scoring 40 a game

Macs arm is weak. There were so many wobbly spirals. He just doesn't have the genetics of a strong arm and it's not gonna change entering his 3rd year. He's not too clutch. How many sacks does he take on a final drive to kill it

You are all choosing misery when the point of being a fan is to find some joy. Why are you even here? The Pats owe you nothing. You act like entitled children.

I don't look at this as a moral victory. I look at it as positive signs for the season. This is more about the Patriots exceeding expectations for what people thought they were than saying the Pats outplayed the Eagles after the first quarter and should have won if not for stupid mistakes.

I am not looking at this game as a win or loss. I expected it to be a loss. And I am not focusing on whether this should have been a win if this or that didn't happen. What I am looking at is the fact that this team on both sides of the ball could stand up to one of the best teams in the league. This was something missing last year. The Pats beat on the teams they should have beat and came up small against the teams that were clearly better than them last year.

Last year the offense would have folded after that start. And the defense would have let Hurts run for 100 yards and pass all over them. Neither happened this year.

Ultimately, yesterday was a missed opportunity to sneak a win against a Super Bowl contender, but I feel much better for the upcoming season than I did this time yesterday.
I agree.

Also especially agree about “should’ve won if not for stupid mistakes”. I feel like that’s sort of been the mantra of the past few seasons for us, sadly.

Faulking idiots.
I mean, it's the defending NFC champs, right? It's not like that's a chit team. People like being miserable I guess. If they fix the turnovers, they can be competitive, and they weren't that last year.

And they didn't collapse when they were down 16 points in the first quarter. I can't stomach the game day thread, but I'm sure the usual suspects were chortling about a blow out loss -- which is indeed what usually happens when you spot a great team that many points.

They are clearly chortling about it today as well. The bottom line with the Fellowship of the Miserable is that they were miserable during the 20 year Dynasty run as well, so they will always be miserable, no matter what they achieve. Some, like Triumph, simply never got over Belichick choosing Brady over the #1overall pick, cannon armed Drew Bledsoe, and have held it against Belichick and the franchise ever since, others, e.g…Captain Stone, are draftniks who always believe they know better, and will always be upset that their binkies are playing elsewhere. To be clear though, I do think that Patsfans has an excellent draft forum, but every fan base in every sport has a contingent of fans who obsess over the picks, and unleash never ending criticism when their favorites are passed by in favor of other prospects, Patsfans is no different, and we just have to live with that.

You are all choosing misery when the point of being a fan is to find some joy. Why are you even here? The Pats owe you nothing. You act like entitled children.
I mean if nobody is allowed to critique the team then I guess we are going to the Superbowl baby!

Belichick is interesting this morning because he said it was the right decision to go for it at 4th and 3 on the Eagles 17 when down 8. I don't disagree. I think it was as well.

But he said it wasn't right to forego the punt at 4th and 17 (though he did mention he doesn't know how many yards would've been gained, which signals some lack of confidence that Barringer can pin the Eagles inside the 15). But here's what I don't get. Who made the decision to forego the punt? Is Bill giving too much rope to Billy O'Brien? Is that what Belichick is telling us there?

And the players don't owe me anything, but the Patriots do.
I'm a bigger Patriots fan than you..actually I'm a bigger Patriots fan than @Kontradiction

What does that have to with other teams score 25 on a C+ day being monumentally stupid comment.
It means teams like the Eagles, Bills, Dolphins, Chiefs don't even have to play that well offensively to score 25 points.

They're regularly scoring in the 30's, the Patriots just can't score enough to beat good teams and the proof is in the results they can't beat playoff teams.

You just aren't going to beat these teams scoring 20 points.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back