PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two linebackers tried out today...per Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Jeremy Cain.....and Jarde Newberry....

The Patriots had free-agent linebacker Jeremy Cain (UMass) in for a tryout at Gillette Stadium today.

Cain has appeared in eight career games, all with the Bears (2004, 2005). He most recently attempted to hook on with the Eagles.

The Patriots also had linebacker Jared Newberry (Stanford) in for a tryout. Newberry, a sixth-round draft choice of the Redskins in 2005, has not played in an NFL game. He had a brief stint on the Patriots practice squad in 2005. He spent time with the Jets this offseason but was cut before training camp began.
My thinking is obviously Alexander is injured and they are looking for a replacement..MORE for ST than anything...Newberry was around in 05..let go and was with a few teams...had heard he was a leader in college..Will be interesting if any moves are made tomorrow

Last edited:
Re: Ywo linebackers tried out today...per Reiss

Wish they had held onto Justin Rogers.

well...I think so as well...although they are looking now for an inside backer...an dRogers would not have helped there...BUT overall I wish they had..not sure exactly the whys of that..

I noticed that Quentin Moses was released.
He may be an idiot, but seemed to have some of the physical capabilities the Pats look for in an OLB project for the practice squad.

They probably didn't think that Rogers, or Garrett Mills, would be claimed by anyone during the chaos of Final Cut-Down. I was a little surprised myself.

I agree with Urgent that Quentin Moses would be worth signing to the PS, to see if he could transitiion to OLB. Does Ryan LaCasse have any PS eligibility?

If Alexander has to be IR'ed (oh, the humanity...), there are some interesting names still available on the DraftDaddy and KFFL lists. And no, Cain and Newberry are not two of the names I considered interesting. Too light in the pants, both of 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick