PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Training camp 8/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Disclaimer - I got there around 2pm, and it was packed. It took me almost 2o minutes to finally find a place to stand in the bleachers (good seat on top though). There was no place to sit. The VIP bleachers were filled as well as the grass in front of the media pukes tents, and the concession plaza was packed as well. They were just finishing up a OL vs front 5 scrimmage that I'm real sorry I missed.

1. The practice seemed to be much crisper and faster paced than the last one I attended (8/4) Except for a 10 minute segment about 2/3 thru when the team split up into groups and essentially all stood around talking to their coaches. Now it happens sometimes that a group will just talk with a coach about a new technique or scheme for an entire period and nothing physical happens, but I've never seen happen in every group at the same time..

2. I tried focusing on the D more today. Here is some of the individual things I saw.

a. Pat Chung got one on oned with Gronk and made a nice play on a short incut Gronk tried and batted down the ball.
b. I tried and focus on Fletcher and liked what I saw. One play in particular when shut down Boyce on the GL and the ball went the other way. He stayed with him through 3 cuts and still had him on his hip. This is what I think of Fletcher early on. I don't want him covering the DA's or Edelman's on the other team. I don't want him on their deep threat. But if he has to guard the other teams Aaron Dobson, or Brandon Marshall or other bigger but slower WR, I think he he'll be fine.
c. I'm really liking what I see from our safeties - ALL of them are playing well. Roberts is just adding the strong play of Ebner,, Wilson, Harmon behind Chung and McCourty. They aren't keeping more than 5, so this will be an area to watch

One thought to put in your back pocket for the future. S seems to be a strong spot. If there is a problem at CB now or later, moving McCourty back to corner might not present the problem it would for the overall S play.
d.Easley, Brown, and Antonio Johnson got most of the run at DT with Siliga not participating but on the field and Chris Jones on PU. I like Brown a lot. He moves much quicker than you'd expect for a 330lb guy. I think he gets a bit too high on is first step, but that should be expected. Easley seems to hold his ground in the middle better than I expected, since we all worry about him being too light in the pants. Still shows a very quick first step, but I haven't seen the "suddenness" that we all hope will make him special. Maybe it's because they aren't really going full speed that we'll have to wait for a preseason game. There was that play where he was suddenly on Brady in an 11 on 11 drill that's been reported, but I didn't see HOW it happened.
e. I have to admit I haven't been looking at the LB's at all, so I don't have much to report.

3. On the offense side. Brady "struggled" again :rolleyes: throwing less than 80% completions. He made a few beautiful deep throw into narrow window between the CB with good underneath position and the S just a step too late. One was to Amendola, another to Gibson. He had another deep ball to Dobson.
a. Another good practice for Amendola both long and short. Seriously he leaves no doubt that he's worth what the Pats paid him originally. Like Edelman he merely needs to stay on the field and get the looks and he'll make an impact
b Boyce had another good day getting Edelman's rep. Brady looked for him early and often. I image assuming Edelman and LaFell come back soon, it's going to be a tight race between Dobson, Tyms, Boyce and Gibson (who had a nice day) for those final 2 WR slots. Given the talent, experience with Brady and depth, this might be as good a total WR corps as we've had here in a long while.
c. Chandler didn't participate in anything I saw, but he was on the field. Probably dinged.
d. Gronk spread wide again, and accept for the Chung play caught everything thrown to him whether we was blanketed or not. BTW- one of Brady's several deep completions was to Gronk on an out and go where he was blanketed. If the pass is accurate and high, he can't be defended.
e. Blount, Grey, and Boldin will a fine RB corps I think. I have no worries there. Grey is having a very good camp and ALL have looked very smooth in catching the ball. Something I wish we did more.
f. 3rd down back is still up in the air. I like Cadet and he had a good day catching the ball. But so did White. However I still need to see White do more than catch the ball. I need him to beat the first tackler on a consistent basis....or even once.
g. If the decide to keep 4 TE's, Jake Bequette would have a good chance for that slot. It would be a great story. But I can't see the Pats doing that so its probably another year on the PS for Jake.

4. The Pats did a lot ST's work today, with a lot of FG, and punting. In 2 practices I haven't seen anything but perfect snaps out of Cardonna. I bet Ryan Allen is a very happy guy.

5. I noticed this in my first 2 visits to TC. And its about the fans. It seemed like more than ever before, a lot of people come and stay an hour or 90 minutes and leave, some before the practice is half over. It might be just me but I don't remember that in prior seasons. Its like there's so much to do down there now, that people come in, see an hour of practice and move on to the next thing. ;)

6. Once again very little two TE's. Lots of spread formations and empty backfiields

7. There were 3 officials on the field - but for the most part I didn't notice them, so they must have been doing a good job, There was one play where Gronk drew a flag despite making the catch being blanketed by Chung and another defender. Chung spent some time with the ref getting an explanation of what he did wrong. Interesting to watch

8. Another non football observation. When the 2nd team was in there I happened to spot Stork and Brady in a serious conversation. I also noticed that when the rest of the OL went to the sideline when the 2nd team came in, Stork made a beeline to the OL coach and chatted with him. When he's on the OL, he looks like he's in charge. Looks like the torch has been passed to a winner

9. Friday will be the end of the first week in Pads (minus 2 days), and there still hasn't been any real heavy hitting to be seen. Even the most violent stuff is now "controlled". Guys who experience TC's from even a decade ago, let alone in my day, would call what they do now a paid vacation with great food.

Last edited:
Great read as usual Ken! Your write ups are a preseason staple around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes