PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade up possibilities

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Well although we don't have a lot of picks and there's a lot of needs, this team is already loaded with young players so maybe there's no room for a whole lot of rookies. We should maybe trust and develop those already in the roster and make specific improvements, to really add top quality where is needed.

Glaring needs in my point of view, TE, Center, Safety.

There are other holes, but we have depth and maybe BB can fix those on the fly like he did last season with Vellano, Jones and Siliga. We need another DE, but we already have a top and a decent player to fill the position. There are some players with potential playing DT, and Armstead.

The positions aforementioned as glaring needs we simply have no players. I'm rulling out Gronk, simple as that. Anything we get from him from now on will be bonus. We should seriously consider moving on, I'm not saying get rid of him, but having 2 quality TE's to play again the 2 TE offense, not counting Gronk.

So how much would cost to move up to get Ebron?

What others players deserve such consideration?

Trade up to get Aaron Donald if he is within reach.

29 + 62 gets us to within range of Dallas at 16. 29 + 93 gets us into the low 20's.

The only player I see worth trading up for is Donald. He's a stud at a position of need and could fall to the teens.

Thoughts (excluding Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, Mack, Barr, etc.)

-S: Dix or Pryor aren't good enough players worth trading up for. (I'd argue they aren't good enough to draft at 29)
-TE: Trading up for Ebron just seems like a waste of capital on a #2 TE, although a beast at that. ASJ would be much better value.
-WR: Trading up for a WR: no.
-CB: Trading up for a CB: no.
-DE: Trading up for a DE: no.
-C/G/T: Trading up for an OL: no.
-OLB/ILB: Trading up for a LB: no.
-DT: Donald

Trade up to get Aaron Donald if he is within reach.

29 + 62 gets us to within range of Dallas at 16. 29 + 93 gets us into the low 20's.

I like Donald a lot but I would not trade our second to move up and draft him. I think he will be a very good player but I also think he is going to have some limitations at the next level because his height, weight, and arm length.

This is a deep draft. I think they see more value trading down than trading up. I expect us to trade out of the first to acquire more picks! I am hoping for a Mallett trade!!

Too deep of a draft to trade our first and second picks. If one falls to the low 20's I'd trade our first and third and then use our second to get some picks back as long as there's not somebody of unreal value still on the board at 62.

Well although we don't have a lot of picks and there's a lot of needs, this team is already loaded with young players so maybe there's no room for a whole lot of rookies. We should maybe trust and develop those already in the roster and make specific improvements, to really add top quality where is needed.

Glaring needs in my point of view, TE, Center, Safety.

There are other holes, but we have depth and maybe BB can fix those on the fly like he did last season with Vellano, Jones and Siliga. We need another DE, but we already have a top and a decent player to fill the position. There are some players with potential playing DT, and Armstead.

The positions aforementioned as glaring needs we simply have no players. I'm rulling out Gronk, simple as that. Anything we get from him from now on will be bonus. We should seriously consider moving on, I'm not saying get rid of him, but having 2 quality TE's to play again the 2 TE offense, not counting Gronk.

So how much would cost to move up to get Ebron?

What others players deserve such consideration?

I would not trade up in this draft unless it was low cost such as Donald was available at #26 and we could offer a 2015 fourth or fifth round pick to get ahead the three spots. The draft is very deep, unlike any I have seen, I am actually more excited for some mid round prospects like Exum, and Janis than I am for some of the projected first round picks.

This is a deep draft. I think they see more value trading down than trading up. I expect us to trade out of the first to acquire more picks! I am hoping for a Mallett trade!!

I'm all for trading down. I just hope that the Pats' first pick comes before #48 this year. ;)

I think if we trade up it will be 7-12 spots to get a player like Dennard, Clinton-Dix, Gilbert or one of the WRs. It will be tough for us to go up into the top 15 from the bottom of the 1st

I'd rather trade down in this draft, there's far too much talent to use picks moving up.

The 49ers are sat pretty much perfectly with the boat load of picks they have.

I'd rather trade down in this draft, there's far too much talent to use picks moving up.

Except that they don't have much room on their team to put those guys!

That's the thing...if I'm BB and I can address a couple of concerns in FA:

DL, maybe one of the decent OL out there...given the depth of my squad, I just might trade up this year if there was someone I really wanted. Ebron, Nix or Pryor, for example. You've only got 53 spots - after that, unless you IR someone, your draft picks get scooped.

Except that they don't have much room on their team to put those guys!
Oh bull.

The New England Patriots virtually have no depth at the defensive end position, linebacker position, cornerback position, interior offensive line positions, tight end position.

Agreed, I think this is the perfect draft to trade down with all the depth. We could get an extra pick or two and use them on the: d-line, o-line, tight end or safety position. Just hoping there are no reaches this year!!!

Oh bull.

The New England Patriots virtually have no depth at the defensive end position, linebacker position, cornerback position, interior offensive line positions, tight end position.

I was talking about San Francisco with that remark.

By the way, Jared Allen at DE, Evan Dietrich-Smith or De La Puente at C, Pat Angerer or Wesley Woodyard at LB, resign Talib at C, and yeah, draft ASJ.

I agree with your assessment 100%, but I also think this team needs to add depth from FA this year.

So far the way things are sorting out I think trading down is the more likely option, however if CJ Mosely or Nix continue to fall then one may end up within reach and in that case they stay put and make the pick. The top of draft still has some settling to do and while the top 10 is getting clearer the rest is still in flux so we really don't know what they will be looking at and we could get lucky and Dennard could punch a cop a week or so before the draft. Who knows, ever since Wilfork fell to them I have believed anything is possible.

Jacksonville a possible trade partner to move back with? Was listening to Sirius on the way home and they had mentioned if they took a positional player at 7 there was a possibility they may try to move into the first to leap frog another team to get a QB.

I'd be willing to do a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year for this deal. Too much? Too little?

I would trade up a few slots to get Pryor at Safety if he lasts to, say, 26, but in general this is a draft where the Patriots should trade down. They have a lot of holes to fill and it is a deep draft.

The draft loses its tang for me when the team drafts up--we have few good picks to begin with, do we want to squander them to move up 5-10 spots.

Pick up three picks with that 29th and it will be a much more FUN draft for Pat fans.

** the only downer thing about Pat drafts is that one early pick which could have easily been made in the 7th round. tends to ruin the draft for me. few teams do this, which makes the pain even worse.

What i would like to do is Trade future picks for picks in this years draft for a few reasons

#1 This draft is better than next years likely
#2 Brady only has a few years left and 2015 draftees will likely not develop in time to help him.

That aside this is a deep draft and there are few guys I would trade up for cause the secondary talent is generally close to this drafts top talent

Here our my trade up players.

Ebron - TE Evans -WR Clinton Dix - S & that is about it.

I would not trade up for a DE cause i don't think Ealy is worth it and i would not trade up for a DT cause the DT depth is so good.

Trading down is the way to go, of course, but I suspect that most teams will want to trade down this year making it hard to get good value on a trade down.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back