PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top Ten Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably just off the list as off now, but certainly could make the list at some point. Perhaps honorable mention at this time.

Vince Wilfork - 4 Pro Bowls in 9 years, and really has been the leader of the defense from the nose position during an almost complete overhaul (which is still in progress). He's been the immoveable rock in the middle on a defense on a team that has consistently been at the highest levels in the league for close to a decade. Not that the D is anything that stands out at this point, but he's the unquestioned leader on that side of the ball for quite a few years now. He has actually mentored the mentors (Mayo, Spikes, Chung, etc...) at this point. He's also one of the best at his position in the game and has been for most of his career.

Like I said. Probably outside the top-10 right now, but certainly in the argument, specially if you extend it out to 20.

I think there's other guys who haven't been mentioned that belong ahead of Vince. W. McGinnest and R. Harrison are 2 that come to mind. They were pro bowl players who played their best in big games. McGinnest being the NFL all time playoff sack leader is tough to leave off the list.

I think there's other guys who haven't been mentioned that belong ahead of Vince. W. McGinnest and R. Harrison are 2 that come to mind. They were pro bowl players who played their best in big games. McGinnest being the NFL all time playoff sack leader is tough to leave off the list.

I think Rodney just lacks tenure to be on the Top 10 list. McGinest was close, IMO, but he wasn't dominant during the regular season. Huge in big games, but only two pro bowls, and I gave the nod to Nellie.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, if we were to make the list the Top 10 big game players, then the story changes drastically. In no order:

Law, McGinest, Brady, Brown, Harrison, Bruschi, Hannah, Vinatieri, Johnson, Grogan

Personally, I'd put Welker on this list right now.

How about heart, determination, and leadership. Don't forget that Bruschi has made some huge plays for the Patriots. Only guy to ever have 4 interceptions returned for TDs in a row. His strip of Colts RB Rhodes (I think) was huge in winning that playoff game. Plus he gets extra points for coming back from a stroke.

I love Bruschi. I think he had some great years with many great plays and was a model Patriot and leader. That said, I don't think he's played at a high enough level for a long enough time to be in the top ten. That's no knock on him, there have been a lot of great players over the years.

1. Tom Brady
2. Bill Belichick
3. John Hannah
4. Andre Tippett
5. Mike Haynes
6. Stanley Morgan
7. Ty Law
8. Willie McGinest
9. Richard Seymour
10. Nick Buoniconti

1A. Brady
1B. Belichick
2Hannah
3.Tippett
4.Bruschi
5.Mcginnest
6.Ben Coates
7.Bruce Armstrong
8.Drew Bledsoe
9.Troy Brown
10.Sam Cunningham

Not eligible: Adam "Burn all Bridges" Vinatraitor, Ty "My kids gots ta eat"Law,Curtis "Tuna Sniffer" Martin,Mike "The Autumn Wind is a Traitor"Haynes,Bill "The Grocer" Parcells,Richard "Mail-it-in" Seymour

Future eligible: Welker,Gronk,Hernandez,Justin Francis,Shane Vereen

Last edited:

asked

I think Rodney just lacks tenure to be on the Top 10 list. McGinest was close, IMO, but he wasn't dominant during the regular season. Huge in big games, but only two pro bowls, and I gave the nod to Nellie.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, if we were to make the list the Top 10 big game players, then the story changes drastically. In no order:

Law, McGinest, Brady, Brown, Harrison, Bruschi, Hannah, Vinatieri, Johnson, Grogan

answered.

Harrison lacks tenure to be on the list. Was a star while he was here, but just wasn't here long enough to overtake the contributions of Big Vince's contributions so far.

As for Willie..... I'd again agree with Steve. He a was a big game beast, but not always dominant in the regular season. There is a strong argument for him on the list though too.

Last edited:
That's not fair. LOL. See how hard it is to limit it to 10. A lot of these guys are so close that you can't help but keep good guys off the list.

Obviously a ploy to get a few more Italians on the list. Shameful.:(:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes